BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

I need your opinion!

Thinking about installing 1M fiberglass fenders, 1M front and rear bumpers this will roughly cost me around $1,800 for everything I need. Is it worth it for E88 128i with 150,000miles on it?

What's your opinion?

I saw on N5tuner website 1M fenders, 1M bumpers and they claim their parts to be bolt on no need for adjustments. Their prices are very competitive.

Any experience with them or any other recommendations on same parts from different place without the need to do adjustments or changing the side skirts

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

is everything you need include paint? And with 150K on the car, will the whole car need to be painted to match?
You'll not be adding a lot of value to the car and what ever you do, don't toss the parts you take off the car. You'll want this work to be reversible. Those M parts should still be worth money 10, 20, 30 years down the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Lightbulb

I would only do it if you plan on putting an engine in your car eventually and have a upgraded suspension setup, wheels / tires, nice interior, clean body etc. Honestly I would do everything else first...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
is everything you need include paint? And with 150K on the car, will the whole car need to be painted to match?
You'll not be adding a lot of value to the car and what ever you do, don't toss the parts you take off the car. You'll want this work to be reversible. Those M parts should still be worth money 10, 20, 30 years down the road.
my original paint is in good condition. I am thinking about painting the new parts to match the jet black I already have. if that didn't work then I'll just wrap the whole car. If I go that route I'll do something like this

I know there will be no added value to the car with non OEM cosmetic parts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
I would only do it if you plan on putting an engine in your car eventually and have a upgraded suspension setup, wheels / tires, nice interior, clean body etc. Honestly I would do everything else first...
I already have M-Suspension. I'll add performance steering wheel to the interior that's all. Regarding the engine do you say that because you think the engine will be dying soon or just to add performance?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128ibro View Post
my original paint is in good condition. I am thinking about painting the new parts to match the jet black I already have. if that didn't work then I'll just wrap the whole car. If I go that route I'll do something like this

That is not what you will get with the N5tuner parts. Those are 1M conversion cars. The N5tuner kit will get you I think +15mm front and +25mm rear. It's a weird kit and really not ideal with FRP/glass construction which absolutely will not hold up like OE/OEM build quality.

At 1800 you may as well spend an extra grand and do the proper bodywork. You really don't need to flare the rear. I'm pretty good evidence of that.

I recently did the full 1M front conversion to my car, it was about 1800-2000 in parts alone for the front. I'm now running 275/35/18 squared and am quite low with no rubbing. The rear fenders are rolled, pulled, and trimmed, stock Msport rear bumper, with a Rieger quad diffuser and custom exhaust.

I reiterate, the N5tuner "1M" kit is not 1M panels, are fiberglass, and won't gain you much if any functional clearance up front. The rear is a rivet on set of overfenders which fit badly unless you modify them like Project Jayden did.

If you really want to do a "1M Look" kit and retain factory 135i clearances, I HIGHLY recommend the Rieger kit. It's plastic for one, and looks awesome.

Any questions, let me know. Just did it all DIY so pretty familiar with what works and what doesnt.
b1aze565.50
128ibro48.50
      04-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Quote:

That is not what you will get with the N5tuner parts. Those are 1M conversion cars. The N5tuner kit will get you I think +15mm front and +25mm rear. It's a weird kit and really not ideal with FRP/glass construction which absolutely will not hold up like OE/OEM build quality.

At 1800 you may as well spend an extra grand and do the proper bodywork. You really don't need to flare the rear. I'm pretty good evidence of that.

I recently did the full 1M front conversion to my car, it was about 1800-2000 in parts alone for the front. I'm now running 275/35/18 squared and am quite low with no rubbing. The rear fenders are rolled, pulled, and trimmed, stock Msport rear bumper, with a Rieger quad diffuser and custom exhaust.

I reiterate, the N5tuner "1M" kit is not 1M panels, are fiberglass, and won't gain you much if any functional clearance up front. The rear is a rivet on set of overfenders which fit badly unless you modify them like Project Jayden did.

If you really want to do a "1M Look" kit and retain factory 135i clearances, I HIGHLY recommend the Rieger kit. It's plastic for one, and looks awesome.

Any questions, let me know. Just did it all DIY so pretty familiar with what works and what doesnt.
All I'm going for is just the look. I won't do anything on the rear panels. All I'm thinking about the 1M fiberglass fenders and 1M front and rear bumpers. N5tuner they claim their parts to be bolt on and no need for new splash cover or headlights brackets.
Why you think I won't get the same rear and front sides look like the pictures?
It's the same as 1M parts, but different material and less width. I think I'll have the same look on the rear and front bumper.

Do you agree?

thanks for the informative reply
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
All I'm going for is just the look. I won't do anything on the rear panels. All I'm thinking about the 1M fiberglass fenders and 1M front and rear bumpers. N5tuner they claim their parts to be bolt on and no need for new splash cover or headlights brackets.
It's the same as 1M parts, but different material and less width. I think I'll have the same look on the rear and front bumper.

Do you agree?

Don't know how to help you. They aren't 1M bumpers/fenders. It's the width that gives it that look and the fender lips are narrower on the 1M which give it that characteristic big wheel-well.

All you'll end up with is 1M-styled duct vents and valences on a 135i narrowbody. If that's what you want, then look around, there are a lot of options made from superior materials to the N5tuner kit. I'd be hard pressed to put a FRP bumper on my car.
      04-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you agree?

Don't know how to help you. They aren't 1M bumpers/fenders. It's the width that gives it that look and the fender lips are narrower on the 1M which give it that characteristic big wheel-well.

All you'll end up with is 1M-styled duct vents and valences on a 135i narrowbody. If that's what you want, then look around, there are a lot of options made from superior materials to the N5tuner kit. I'd be hard pressed to put a FRP bumper on my car.
what is your conversion. can give a detailed listing for what needed and cost break down
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
what is your conversion. can give a detailed listing for what needed and cost break down
A quick google search will get you one of several posts detailing it with part numbers and quantities, even places to buy from. Costs fluctuate dramatically on Genuine BMW parts.

Rough breakdown is:
Bumper
Lower grille
L/R inner and outer ducting
L/R headlight brackets
Front and rear portions of the fender liners, both sides
L/R fender
Sidemarker base, plus sidemarkers
Windshield washer tank/pump
Headlight washer delete fittings and Horn relocation
Belly pan

For the front. Sideskirts can be pulled out to meet the new fender and molded with some heat and skill.
      04-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #11
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
A quick google search will get you one of several posts detailing it with part numbers and quantities, even places to buy from. Costs fluctuate dramatically on Genuine BMW parts.

Rough breakdown is:
Bumper
Lower grille
L/R inner and outer ducting
L/R headlight brackets
Front and rear portions of the fender liners, both sides
L/R fender
Sidemarker base, plus sidemarkers
Windshield washer tank/pump
Headlight washer delete fittings and Horn relocation
Belly pan

For the front. Sideskirts can be pulled out to meet the new fender and molded with some heat and skill.
what was the total for this?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Just realize that if you go this route, not only will you not be increasing the value of your car, you will actually be decreasing it. The pool of people that want a 1 Series in any given configuration at any given time is already small - many fewer people will be interested after you fit an aftermarket FRP body kit. Obviously not an issue if it's all reversible.

The other thing is, maybe you don't care that much about resale value, which is fine. I think we're already pretty low on the depreciation curve.
      04-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #13
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
So I wanna say this in the nicest way possible... you’re gonna have to start doing some of the legwork yourself. You’ll be far more successful if you can go out and find the answer to that and some of your other recent questions by searching, reading and comprehending. Expecting others to spoon feed it to you on demand isn’t going to get you anywhere near as far if you’re truly serious about this project.
Appreciate 3
      04-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #14
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Quote:
So I wanna say this in the nicest way possible... you're gonna have to start doing some of the legwork yourself. You'll be far more successful if you can go out and find the answer to that and some of your other recent questions by searching, reading and comprehending. Expecting others to spoon feed it to you on demand isn't going to get you anywhere near as far if you're truly serious about this project.
I already know what this gonna cost me with what I found if you reread my initial post. it's a matter to find it's better to do OEM 1M parts than what my option is. However, doing OEM require more parts and work like headlight brackets, belly pan, and doing irreversible work to the side skirt to make it fit.

People mentioned that they did it, so I'm asking what did all that costed to compare

thanks for sharing your opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Already disclosed that information in another post above.
      04-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Already disclosed that information in another post above. But seriously, do a quick google, get the part numbers, and plug them into GetBMWParts.com and see for yourself. I bought all my stuff almost a year ago. Prices change DRAMATICALLY.
b1aze565.50
      04-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #17
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Already disclosed that information in another post above. But seriously, do a quick google, get the part numbers, and plug them into GetBMWParts.com and see for yourself. I bought all my stuff almost a year ago. Prices change DRAMATICALLY.
Make sense. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #18
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

OEM 1M Style rear quarter panel fender flares are $500 shipped from Jay Meadows. you don't necessarily have to get a rear 1M bumper if you have someone who can mold the flares. the front fenders are bolt on. I like my 1M Replica Bumper more than the oem 1M bumper bc the ducts are larger. Getting the rear oem style 1M Quarter Panels molded to the body will bring your cost well over 1500. I say go for it but have a purpose for doing so if you do.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #19
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
OEM 1M Style rear quarter panel fender flares are $500 shipped from Jay Meadows. you don't necessarily have to get a rear 1M bumper if you have someone who can mold the flares. the front fenders are bolt on. I like my 1M Replica Bumper more than the oem 1M bumper bc the ducts are larger. Getting the rear oem style 1M Quarter Panels molded to the body will bring your cost well over 1500. I say go for it but have a purpose for doing so if you do.
Having put the OEM ducts on both a 1M replica and an OEM 1M bumper I can tell you the ducts are the same size (on the fog light optioned rep bumper). The rep bumper is just narrower and shitty fitting.
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3201.50
      05-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #20
RichieM
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E82 128i

if my 128 ever gets into a front collision, i might fabricate som`
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:31 AM   #21
MontegobluE82
Rep
Drives: 2009 montego blue 135i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
Do you have contact information for jay meadows?
Appreciate 0