BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Jrman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Changing spark plugs and coils

I just hit 100k in my stock 2011 BMW 135i e88 (N55) M-Sport. I bought it a year ago and it had 76k. (Knock on wood) I have no hesitations, misfires, or codes of any kind.
I do not know if the plugs and/or coils were changed before I bought it.

Should I change them or just leave it alone?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

For what it costs, it’s worth doing.

Buy them from FCP Euro and you can change them every 10k miles for free!
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
NBGV18.00
      04-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrman View Post
I just hit 100k in my stock 2011 BMW 135i e88 (N55) M-Sport. I bought it a year ago and it had 76k. (Knock on wood) I have no hesitations, misfires, or codes of any kind.
I do not know if the plugs and/or coils were changed before I bought it.

Should I change them or just leave it alone?

Thank you.
FCP Euro sounds great. I believe you will need thin walled socket to change them and it's not a simple project as you have to work a bit to get access to all of them. Here is what I know and recommend.

1. If your car is running well, check the maintenance history. There were some coil issues and TSBs on them if it is running great, most likely they were changed before you bought it. Most likely if they changed the coils, the plugs were replaced since it's not that much more work to do it. So you could be throwing away plugs and coils with let's say only 50K miles on them. I mention that because you said it runs great.

2. If you still want to replace them, people swear by NGK and I love them as well. My other BMW came with NGKs from the factory and it never ran as well when I replaced them with Bosch plugs. I went back to NGK OE version and it ran better. I am not saying that NGK is better, I am saying that your car is running awesome at 100K miles and the plugs that were put in it from the factory are your best bet. My N54 1M came with Bosch plugs and I decided to just use Bosch as well. Yes, you could replace them with another brand and it might not matter but it could possibly make things worse so if it's running great stick with the same type/brand of plug so you don't regret it and have to redo it.

3. Coils have been an issue with BMW and were made by different manufactures. At one point BMW switched to Eldor made coils but went back to Delphi as OE. So you can buy BMW original equipment (O.E.) coils, but if you get an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) brand, which is a company that makes them for BMW but not necessarily for you model car or the latest version. I would get Delphi brand. Eldor is also an original equipment manufacturer but BMW dropped them and went back to Delphi. I don't know why, it could be price or it could be they got tired of replacing under warranty but for whatever reason, I would recommend Delphi brand for OEM.

4. Most likely you will find oil in the spark plug holes. These cars have valve cover gaskets that don't age well. Check when the valve cover gasket was replaced. If it is the original, you really should go ahead and do that at 100K and that is a good time to do it. Make sure you get all the parts ahead of time. Look at a diagram on the realoem.com. On the e46 for example the VC kit does not include the rubber grommets for the screws and I believe the aluminum screws are a one time use thing so you will need a new set. There are a ton of good DIYs on that.

best of luck!

Last edited by nachob; 04-26-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

If you don't know, then change plugs. Plugs left in too long may seize in there then you're in a whole lotta poop. This also gives you the chance to confirm no oil leakage from VCG. Try to obtain 1 or 2 used coils and keep them in the trunk; useful for trouble shooting. Ensure no leakage from OFHG too. Water pumps can go anytime, without warning. Buy the whole kit and put it in your trunk when you go on a long road trip, especially far from major cities. Buy the kit from your trusted garage such that when it comes time to change the pump, garage will use your parts you bought from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
128iMurray
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport 6Spd

Would you recco Delphi for a 2012 BMW128i MSport? N52 engine. I just installed 6 BMW Ignition Coil Bosch OEM 04470 / 94937 and while they looked and fit like the orig Bosch but they were crap. Multiple misfires (P030X) when I had none before (performing PM on plugs and coils). Replaced all new coils with the OLD ones and car ran fine. No codes or MIL now. Perhaps they were fake Bosch parts? Purchased from Amazon and even verified with EuroParts that they were correct before purchase. Returned for full refund. Issue now is what coil will work in this car? Thanks

Last edited by 128iMurray; 05-22-2020 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: added engine type
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Jrman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
FCP Euro sounds great. I believe you will need thin walled socket to change them and it's not a simple project as you have to work a bit to get access to all of them. Here is what I know and recommend.

1. If your car is running well, check the maintenance history. There were some coil issues and TSBs on them if it is running great, most likely they were changed before you bought it. Most likely if they changed the coils, the plugs were replaced since it's not that much more work to do it. So you could be throwing away plugs and coils with let's say only 50K miles on them. I mention that because you said it runs great.

2. If you still want to replace them, people swear by NGK and I love them as well. My other BMW came with NGKs from the factory and it never ran as well when I replaced them with Bosch plugs. I went back to NGK OE version and it ran better. I am not saying that NGK is better, I am saying that your car is running awesome at 100K miles and the plugs that were put in it from the factory are your best bet. My N54 1M came with Bosch plugs and I decided to just use Bosch as well. Yes, you could replace them with another brand and it might not matter but it could possibly make things worse so if it's running great stick with the same type/brand of plug so you don't regret it and have to redo it.

3. Coils have been an issue with BMW and were made by different manufactures. At one point BMW switched to Eldor made coils but went back to Delphi as OE. So you can buy BMW original equipment (O.E.) coils, but if you get an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) brand, which is a company that makes them for BMW but not necessarily for you model car or the latest version. I would get Delphi brand. Eldor is also an original equipment manufacturer but BMW dropped them and went back to Delphi. I don't know why, it could be price or it could be they got tired of replacing under warranty but for whatever reason, I would recommend Delphi brand for OEM.

4. Most likely you will find oil in the spark plug holes. These cars have valve cover gaskets that don't age well. Check when the valve cover gasket was replaced. If it is the original, you really should go ahead and do that at 100K and that is a good time to do it. Make sure you get all the parts ahead of time. Look at a diagram on the realoem.com. On the e46 for example the VC kit does not include the rubber grommets for the screws and I believe the aluminum screws are a one time use thing so you will need a new set. There are a ton of good DIYs on that.

best of luck!
Thank you for all the information.

I did have them changed.
I went with NGK.
OEM ignition coils.

It still runs great. Maybe even a bit smoother.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

best of luck!
Thank you for all the information.

I did have them changed.
I went with NGK.
OEM ignition coils.

It still runs great. Maybe even a bit smoother.
Good to know. Part of the problem with changing both is knowing if the coils or plugs make it smoother. But in the end it's good to know the NGKs work well too.
Appreciate 0