BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #23
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
My friend's shop would do it for you. You will not meet a more honest person in the auto repair industry. He often takes used cars and fixes them for free to give to needy families.

(Milwaukee and Willow/Palatine Rd.) He is not that far North but...

http://www.semeriaimports.com

Ask for Larry (The Owner). Tell him you know me (Chris Kurn)

Nice, I'll give this guy a call as soon as the car gets back from the Motherland. Does he take payment in 6 packs?:biggrin:

Chris, I also noticed a link for "Kurn's Candies" on the page - you related by any chance? And if you are, how are your teeth and blood sugar levels - those candies look mighty tasty!
      04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
Nice, I'll give this guy a call as soon as the car gets back from the Motherland. Does he take payment in 6 packs?:biggrin:

Chris, I also noticed a link for "Kurn's Candies" on the page - you related by any chance? And if you are, how are your teeth and blood sugar levels - those candies look mighty tasty!
If you want, we can set-up a time and date so we can all get this done.

- Yes, my wife has an internet Business. Thankful I have all my teeth. :smile:
      04-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

This DIY needs to be combined with http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7316

For the ultimate CDV DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #26
NY SLC 93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Does anyone know the part number for the CDV for the 135?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY SLC 93 View Post
Does anyone know the part number for the CDV for the 135?

See here - REALOEM this is for the 130i but I assure you it is the same part.
      04-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #28
sadu77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
Loosen both clamps and pullout the line towards the front of the car first and plug it quickly with your thumb. Now pull out the stock CDV and insert the Modified one quickly, now just take your thumb off the hose your plugging and quickly insert it into the modifed CDV. Push down both clamps and bleed.

well said.
Gray Poplar Trim
Nav system
Comfort access
Power/Heated seats
Sattelite radio
Ipod
Production number 398****
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #29
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hi Larryn,

Just got my CDV from Riss Racing. Had a look under the car today using my trolley jack, but I'm not sure where to place my axle stands whilst the car is jacked up (as I have no ramps). Can you help? I'm terrified to take a guess with this as it could end up very expensive.

Cheers in advance,

Mad Chemist.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #30
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I believe that I jacked up from the rear jacking point, and put the stands on the front jack point for each side.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #31
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharv2003 View Post
Is this something that the dealers would notice if you tried to bring it in for service? Probably only for clutch service right? Is there a way that you can replace it pretty easy before you take it in? Also, does the replacement one from Riss look very similar to the stock one?
Unless something leaks onto the clutch or it fails catastrophically, a worn out clutch won't be covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #32
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Success! New, improved CDV is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I believe that I jacked up from the rear jacking point, and put the stands on the front jack point for each side.
Thanks for the info Larryn.

I used a pair of axle stands as per your install and used a few layers of old carpet to project the fragile jack points on the 135i and so was able to change out the restrictive CDV this morning, following the above DIY instructions.

Everything was fine apart from having difficulty finally accessing and loosening the clutch bleed screw. I ended up buying a flexible screw driver fitted with a 1/8 inch drive and used small 12 mm socket to loosen the bleed valve. I had a friend gently press down the clutch peddle twice and then tightened it up, and all was fine.

I am very impressed with the result. 1-2 gear changes are far smoother and less notchy and all other changes up and down the box are greatly improved too!

Best £15 ($30) I ever spent.

Mad chemist.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 12:25 AM   #33
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
This DIY needs to be combined with http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7316

For the ultimate CDV DIY.
Besides only costing $6 like that, no way a dealer would know it was 'degutted', right? Thx.
JC
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:19 AM   #34
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Are there any downsides to this mod in terms of wear and tear?

Also, can anyone give me advice on shifting technique until I can do this mod? I've alway shifted unscientifically, just using feel, which works fine in the family Volvo -- smooth as silk. But I can't for the life of me get a smooth shift into second in this car no matter what I do. It's driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #35
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
None at all!

The car shifts soooo much better without the CDV (aka the modified one)
      06-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #36
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

I know I must be a total dummy, but can someone walk me through exactly where they jacked up the car to place 2 jack stands?

I have a floor jack and 2 jack stands. I first tried using the rear point to place the one front stand, but then I couldn't get the floor jack under the opposite side because of the lean.

Any help would be appreciated.
      06-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #37
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Unless something leaks onto the clutch or it fails catastrophically, a worn out clutch won't be covered by warranty.
Ummm...NO. With BMW maintenance program your clutch is covered for the first 4years/50,000 miles under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #38
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonOne View Post
I know I must be a total dummy, but can someone walk me through exactly where they jacked up the car to place 2 jack stands?

I have a floor jack and 2 jack stands. I first tried using the rear point to place the one front stand, but then I couldn't get the floor jack under the opposite side because of the lean.

Any help would be appreciated.

MadisonOne,

Had the same problem with my CDV fitment. I ended up using only one axel stand (front left) and the trolley jack the other side. That's not ideal, I know. I think to be safe you'll need to get the lowest height jack available.

Some advise I can give you is to use a neoprine "jack pad" to protect the delicate hard plastic jack points on the 135i.

I also found if helped to use a few layers of old carpet to put over the axel stands to protect the car when you lower the jack down onto the axel stands.

Sorry I can't be more help here.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #39
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Ummm...NO. With BMW maintenance program your clutch is covered for the first 4years/50,000 miles under warranty.

The BMW Maintenance Program and Limited Warranty specifically exclude any premature wear and tear of certain items (including the clutch) due to driving habits from their warranty/maintenance. It is in your warranty booklet.

However I seriously doubt this mod will change the wear of the actual clutch assembly (on the back of the transmission.) What will go first is probably something in the hydraulics (master cylinder would be my guess.) Which is kind of a gray area and probably would be replaced as defective under the warranty plan.

However! If they do pull it off and see a gutted CDV, then they probably won't. With the attention it has been getting on various BMW web-forums they will probably look there first if you bring it in with that issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #40
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Will taking this out or putting in another CDV valve void the warranty if manual trans problems occur?

If the car has problems and is on the side of the road needing a tow to BMW, there will be no time to put the original one back in.

Without this mod I have heard the manual is really bad in most opinions. I guess its a must do, even though I didn't want to mod anything. Warranty is very important to me, but a nasty manual is worse I guess?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #41
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The manual is not bad at all with the CDV, it just feels even better without it.

Once you remove the CDV, it feels live a Civic Si MT with Amsoil in it. If you haven't changed the MT fluid to Amsoil in your Si, you wouldn't beleive how much smoother the MT becomes.

You still haven't driven the 1er?
      06-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #42
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Will taking this out or putting in another CDV valve void the warranty if manual trans problems occur?

If the car has problems and is on the side of the road needing a tow to BMW, there will be no time to put the original one back in.

Without this mod I have heard the manual is really bad in most opinions. I guess its a must do, even though I didn't want to mod anything. Warranty is very important to me, but a nasty manual is worse I guess?

Not bad at all.....matter of fact it's a great gearbox. The CDV mainly interferes with the speed and smoothness when disengaging the clutch and changing gears between 1st and 2nd.
      06-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #43
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
The manual is not bad at all with the CDV, it just feels even better without it.

Once you remove the CDV, it feels live a Civic Si MT with Amsoil in it. If you haven't changed the MT fluid to Amsoil in your Si, you wouldn't beleive how much smoother the MT becomes.

You still haven't driven the 1er?
I took my Si to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they replaced the trans oil with synthetic. It is really nice. I am not sure what they put in, they just said synthetic.

No I haven't driven one. I am getting second thoughts with the problems I keep reading about here. I don't like having to mod the trans to make it shift like it should in the first place. Plus the fuel pump problems some are having. I am just very worried about too many problems. I was really excited 3 months ago and planned on ordering one in Feb 09. I will think hard for the next 8 months. I really don't know. Plus having to order one and selling my car myself in the winter will be a major hassle. If BMW won't offer me a decent trade I will problably get something else. That way I can sell my car myself in the springtime (April/May 09) then just go to a dealer and buy the car I want thats on the lot. If BMW has an Alpine white manual with a few options on the lot it would be 1,000,000% easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #44
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
I took my Si to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they replaced the trans oil with synthetic. It is really nice. I am not sure what they put in, they just said synthetic.

No I haven't driven one. I am getting second thoughts with the problems I keep reading about here. I don't like having to mod the trans to make it shift like it should in the first place. Plus the fuel pump problems some are having. I am just very worried about too many problems. I was really excited 3 months ago and planned on ordering one in Feb 09. I will think hard for the next 8 months. I really don't know. Plus having to order one and selling my car myself in the winter will be a major hassle. If BMW won't offer me a decent trade I will problably get something else. That way I can sell my car myself in the springtime (April/May 09) then just go to a dealer and buy the car I want thats on the lot. If BMW has an Alpine white manual with a few options on the lot it would be 1,000,000% easier.
The Si trans was way tooo notchy and pooped out of gear until the MT fluid was changed recently. Not everyone is having the fuel pump problem. I have had zero problems with my car.