BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #67
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
If I understand correctly, the Ohlins R+T kit is compatible with the stock upper mount, so it would use the same Vorshlag camber plate kit as the stock struts? I already have Vorshlag plates on my stock struts, so it wound be nice to keep them when eventually getting around to coilovers.
Yes, both front and rear are compatible with your stock shock mounts and strut mounts or Vorshlag camber plates.
Appreciate 4
      02-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #68
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/M3

One day!

��

Sam
      03-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #69
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

I had mine installed recently. I used the ground control camber plates that were on my stock struts and everything fit well.

These dampers are pretty awesome. I still need an alignment but so far I am very impressed
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #70
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
I had mine installed recently. I used the ground control camber plates that were on my stock struts and everything fit well.

These dampers are pretty awesome. I still need an alignment but so far I am very impressed
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #71
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

What settings are you all running?
Did you set pre-loads and strut height to Ohlins recommendations?
I currently run 8 clicks front and 10 clicks rear from full stiff as my daily!
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #72
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
Smooth roads? LOL

I am planning to lower 20mm front as recommended but probably only 5-8mm in the rear. For me that is a balance between correct geometry for handling, and my preferred appearance. I don't want too much of a forward slope, but I also don't want the rear tires to tuck.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #73
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a very aggressive setting for the street, but tolerable.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #74
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I lowered the car 5/8" in the rear and 7/8" in the front. I currently have the dampers set to Ohlins recommended 'street' setting: 12 clicks from full stiff f/r.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #75
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
I lowered the car 5/8" in the rear and 7/8" in the front. I currently have the dampers set to Ohlins recommended 'street' setting: 12 clicks from full stiff f/r.

What rims do you have on there?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #76
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Volk te37 18x9.5 et22 (with 12.5mm spacer in the rear) 275/35 Hankook rs3 all around
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #77
hesperus
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

My Ohlins R&T's are going on my car next week. What ride heights are people using for a slightly more aggressive than stock look, but that doesn't compromise performance or practicality too much?

the car is a street car, not planning on tracking it much, if at all.

TIA!
      05-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #78
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
My Ohlins R&T's are going on my car next week. What ride heights are people using for a slightly more aggressive than stock look, but that doesn't compromise performance or practicality too much?

the car is a street car, not planning on tracking it much, if at all.

TIA!
How did it turn out?

If it's the 1M kit, just follow the instructions. If the M3 kit, plan to lower it a bit from the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:07 AM   #79
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

So I've been running the Ohlins for a year now and really pleased with them. However I do find a slight floatiness to the ride especially at the front when just driving normally. I've tried firming up the dampers but that is slightly counterproductive making it too harsh.

I believe firmer spring rates could help but is it possible to adjust the preload to reduce some of the initial travel out of the spring. i.e increase the preload. Its set at ohlins recommended 194mm but was thinking of 190mm and then adjusting the height barrel to compensate as it will lift the car.

Its the front that I feel needs some fine tuning and as this is a progressive spring would my suggestion work?

Any experience from you guys on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:16 AM   #80
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I've been running the Ohlins for a year now and really pleased with them. However I do find a slight floatiness to the ride especially at the front when just driving normally. I've tried firming up the dampers but that is slightly counterproductive making it too harsh.

I believe firmer spring rates could help but is it possible to adjust the preload to reduce some of the initial travel out of the spring. i.e increase the preload. Its set at ohlins recommended 194mm but was thinking of 190mm and then adjusting the height barrel to compensate as it will lift the car.

Its the front that I feel needs some fine tuning and as this is a progressive spring would my suggestion work?

Cheers
The front spring rate should be fine. I don't think changing the preload will do much, but it's worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #81
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

I am running 6 from full stiff in the Front, and 4 in the rear here in Boston. Almost the track settings I guess......(Stock mounts, Terrible roads) its more compliant than the stock shocks with H&R springs on larger bumps, smaller bumps it is noticeably stiffer with more control. Very happy with the setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #82
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cheers
Just remember, if you ad preload, you will also take away spring stroke.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 03:23 AM   #83
ravashanks
Registered
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but could someone please point me in the right direction of a thorough review of the Ohlins for the 1M? I've searched but can only seem to find general feedback. Have run Ohlins on my mini cooper and Audi RS4 in the past, so the itch to switch is very strong. My Ohlins experience always has been far superior damping over OE shocks, like being punched with a boxing glove as opposed to bare knuckles. What improvements over stock should i expect with this 1M specific kit?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #84
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am now running mine on full stiff all around with the addition of Bridgestone RE-71-R tires. On the street. The above mentioned settings were on pilot super sports. Weather these are full soft, or full stiff, large bump control is similar. On softer settings the smaller bumps are also marginally more tolerable. The big difference between the adjustments seems to be in fore, aft, and side to side body control, not actual ride stiffness. For example, on full stiff, the car tremendously responsive, and much less squat under braking and acceleration, ideal on a warm day... but on colder days here in new England, I dial the settings back to 7 clicks from stiff to induce more roll, squat and dive, as to not upset the tires colder grip on the road surface. I think the settings you run are dependent on your tire choice and climate entirely. All that being said, I am supremely happy with these shocks for my intended purpose.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #85
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
I am now running mine on full stiff all around with the addition of Bridgestone RE-71-R tires. On the street. The above mentioned settings were on pilot super sports. Weather these are full soft, or full stiff, large bump control is similar. On softer settings the smaller bumps are also marginally more tolerable. The big difference between the adjustments seems to be in fore, aft, and side to side body control, not actual ride stiffness. For example, on full stiff, the car tremendously responsive, and much less squat under braking and acceleration, ideal on a warm day... but on colder days here in new England, I dial the settings back to 7 clicks from stiff to induce more roll, squat and dive, as to not upset the tires colder grip on the road surface. I think the settings you run are dependent on your tire choice and climate entirely. All that being said, I am supremely happy with these shocks for my intended purpose.
Although not independently adjustable the compression damping moves at a percentage when rebound is adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #86
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Although not independently adjustable the compression damping moves at a percentage when rebound is adjusted.
Correct. I will also add I purchased 2... yes 2 sets from Harold at a competitive price. The first set I sold off not wanting to mod the car too much. Worst decision ever. These shocks are the ish.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #87
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
Correct. I will also add I purchased 2... yes 2 sets from Harold at a competitive price. The first set I sold off not wanting to mod the car too much. Worst decision ever. These shocks are the ish.
And we thank you for your business!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #88
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Just purchased from Harold, looking forward to install!!
Appreciate 0