BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
WgSo
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Double Slat Kidney Grill

Looking to replace the chrome one I have with a black grill, and I came across the double slat ones which looks really nice. From whatever research I came across, the ones on Amazon and Ebay seems to have fitment issue where it can fall off. Kind of curious if anyone has good luck with a specific buyer that's selling one with fitment as good as the OEM grills?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #2
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WgSo View Post
Looking to replace the chrome one I have with a black grill, and I came across the double slat ones which looks really nice. From whatever research I came across, the ones on Amazon and Ebay seems to have fitment issue where it can fall off. Kind of curious if anyone has good luck with a specific buyer that's selling one with fitment as good as the OEM grills?
I didn't have problems with mine but I did heat up and bend the locking part of the tab a bit. this helps it to "bite" harder when clicked into place.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

I think attach my question to this thread

I saw Grills with 6 and with 7 double slats, what do you think does look better ?

Also it seems there are some with a different shape of the slats, or is it just because of the angle of where the picture has been made ?
Some do look like they have the original shape (top/down), some seem to have a more "nose" design ?

Last but not least, just found at ali the first F40 M style diamant grill for E82 XD

Kri

Last edited by Kri; 05-22-2021 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
WgSo
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
I didn't have problems with mine but I did heat up and bend the locking part of the tab a bit. this helps it to "bite" harder when clicked into place.
Thanks for the tip! I might give that a try! Now have to contemplate if I want to keep the OEM Black grills I have bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
I think attach my question to this thread

I saw Grills with 6 and with 7 double slats, what do you think does look better ?

Also it seems there are some with a different shape of the slats, or is it just because of the angle of where the picture has been made ?
Some do look like they have the original shape (top/down), some seem to have a more "nose" design ?

Last but not least, just found at ali the first F40 M style diamant grill for E82 XD

Kri
Hard to answer that question without any photo. Want to share some?

Didn't notice the different shapes. Please do share the F40 grills! Definitely intrigued about those.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I might give that a try! Now have to contemplate if I want to keep the OEM Black grills I have bought.

Didn't notice the different shapes. Please do share the F40 grills! Definitely intrigued about those.
About the shape i`m still not sure, because i found no images that show it detailed enough to be sure

I started a ultimate Kidney thread at the german 1erForum, there i have gathered all kidneys i found.

But i still found no image of someone who has mounted the F40 Style kidney on a E8x.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
lowE88
Private
Rep
Drives: E88

Quote:
Quote:

About the shape i`m still not sure, because i found no images that show it detailed enough to be sure

I started a ultimate Kidney thread at the german 1erForum, there i have gathered all kidneys i found.

But i still found no image of someone who has mounted the F40 Style kidney on a E8x.

Kri
There's a few that have done them in one of the Facebook groups. Looks really bad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowE88 View Post
There's a few that have done them in one of the Facebook groups. Looks really bad
I hate everything about those pics.
Appreciate 3
      06-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
lowE88
Private
Rep
Drives: E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowE88 View Post
I hate everything about those pics.
Yeah I'd venture to say anyone buying these style grills don't have particularly great taste with other things either
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 06:28 AM   #9
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Does anyone out there make an all-chrome grille? Not just the surrounding part but vertical slats themselves. My 1er is black and I think an all chrome grille would look good rather than the all black grilles that pollute eBay and Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOTM View Post
Does anyone out there make an all-chrome grille? Not just the surrounding part but vertical slats themselves. My 1er is black and I think an all chrome grille would look good rather than the all black grilles that pollute eBay and Amazon.
The 6 cylinder have kidneys where the slats front is also chrome from factory.
You can check it by Partnumber: 51137179655 and 51137179656.

Kri
Appreciate 1
WrathOTM547.00
      07-03-2021, 06:02 AM   #11
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
The 6 cylinder have kidneys where the slats front is also chrome from factory.
You can check it by Partnumber: 51137179655 and 51137179656.

Kri
Hell yeah thank you! I was looking through ECS's catalog and completely missed those. Good thing I hate money and find every excuse to get rid of the stuff.
Appreciate 0