BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #133
chassis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4

Garage List
Today I spoke with a marina/boat dealer when ordering a repair part for an outboard engine. The guy on the phone said they have never sold so many personal watercraft (waverunners/jetskis) as this year. Generally consistent with what I saw on waterways this weekend - loaded with people and boats, enjoying the great outdoors (and spending money).

This supports the notion that a collapse in prices is unlikely for discretionary vehicles, for example high horsepower German four door models.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #134
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
Pretty interesting site to follow:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/BMW-M4-d2258

Prices are definitely going up for used M4s (all years) over the past 30 days
Yeah I noticed that just last night. Private party and trade in for my M4 went up around $3k since last time I checked (early last month or so).

Bizarro world. I'm out of the future guessing game.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:53 AM   #135
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Today I spoke with a marina/boat dealer when ordering a repair part for an outboard engine. The guy on the phone said they have never sold so many personal watercraft (waverunners/jetskis) as this year. Generally consistent with what I saw on waterways this weekend - loaded with people and boats, enjoying the great outdoors (and spending money).

This supports the notion that a collapse in prices is unlikely for discretionary vehicles, for example high horsepower German four door models.
Coworker bought a travel camper and told me same thing. Boats and RV's are selling like hot cakes, which makes little sense to me during these uncertain times.

I've been fortunate that Covid has not affected my pay, but I'm using this year to be very conservative with spending.
      Today, 11:05 AM   #136
freakystyly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

I can't speak for Americans, but here hardware stores and similar places are having a hard time keeping up with demand.

At first it was grocery stores with toilet paper, now its 2x4s

Some are stir crazy due to being cooped up inside for month(s), can't travel like they used to... etc.

I don't think the financial impact has affected many people yet outside of the service industries. I know people who are able to work from home are making bank with less expenses, and money burning a hole in their pockets.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:41 AM   #137
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: Cayman GTS, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Yeah I noticed that just last night. Private party and trade in for my M4 went up around $3k since last time I checked (early last month or so).

Bizarro world. I'm out of the future guessing game.
Simple explanation - the pics of the new M4 grille were released recently.
Appreciate 2
jmack44.50
NickyC6713.00

Today, 02:55 PM   #138
VChenz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Took my bike into high end bicycle store....3 week backlog of work. The inventory that normally takes all summer to sell (and assemble) is pretty much sold out. Noticing the same online.

I assume that with everyone no being able to go out they saved money on dining and entertainment and now have a fistfull of cash to blow.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:24 PM   #139
Alfisti
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

RIght but the job losses have been massive, not just entry level either. The hurt will come, it's inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:50 PM   #140
spiceyxi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Took my bike into high end bicycle store....3 week backlog of work. The inventory that normally takes all summer to sell (and assemble) is pretty much sold out. Noticing the same online.

I assume that with everyone no being able to go out they saved money on dining and entertainment and now have a fistfull of cash to blow.
To add to the discretionary spending spike I was looking to get a racing wheel setup and everywhere seems to be essentially sold out and on backorder. I was hoping to scratch my not being able to drive for fun itch... People seem to have a lot of extra cash to spend. Probably a combination of the WFH, not being able to go to bars and restaurants, cancelled vacations and stimulus money.

We'll see if this trend continues in the future. Will this be the thing that teaches Americans to save our money? Or are we all going to blow it on impulse buys and go back to spending like normal next year.
Appreciate 0