BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2020, 04:55 AM   #23
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
I didn’t know there was a 2k paint. I’ve only ever seen what is offered on Auto touchup and drcolorchip (thou drcolorchip has a looser paint as it’s more for smearing and filling small chips to then be smoothed with sealact).

Either way I should have the extra paint to do this next week.
I have used https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ on my BMW and My Corvettes.

I even did my entire front bumpers of one of my Corvettes with their rattle can and it came out great. It had Flake in it. Painting the entire bumper was easy as you don't have to really worry about blending.

But for smaller areas...Not sure if you did this...but I tape the area and fold the tape in on itself at the edge so it's not a hard line. Makes it easier to blend later.

Good luck. My first time took me a couple of tries. Since then, I ordered a spray gun from that website and use a small air compressor.

It works beautiful to keep the cars "road rash" free.
      06-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #24
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I am officially fucking DONE doing any major paint repair fixes on this car...

I've spent probably well over 3 days worth of time now collectively fucking up this cars paint over and over. I've now realized if I had just left the damn car alone from the beginning it would look better than it does now!

I just finished repainting the entire pass fender, front bumper and hood with the automotive touchup rattle cans and I am exhausted

I have now deduced that if I had never even bothered to touch the fucking primer, it would have turned out infinitely better. First off the primer did not apply well to the hood as I was holding the can horizontally (before I realized this was causing issues), this caused the primer to become spotty yet I didn't realize until much later.

I ended up doing 2 light coats of primer after removing all the old "new" fucked paint and scuffing the entire surfaces with 600 grit. The primer seemed to go on correctly and I then hit the primered surface with dry 600grit lightly which seemed to smooth it out and do the trick. Then I laid on a couple layers of thin base coat to then realize the hood for the most part looked like someone had hit it all over with a cotton ball. This I now realize was due to the primer being not thick enough and spotty and it shows, also apparently the base coat and clear I did was not consistent nuff around the middle of the hood. All of this I am still baffled by as I spent SO much time planning and then trying as hard as I could to be even and consistent...

So the bumper and fender looked better, I'm assuming because I sprayed with the can right side up and who knows..

So I let the 3 layers of clear sit for bout 36 hours and figured I'd just hit it with rubbing compound, still orange peel. Then I hit it all with 1500 wet sand, still orange peel, this brought out more cotton ball on the hood of course...

I finally said fuck it and did a final polish..this is when I fucked up the bumper like a total idiot....

I literally burned the paint through in about 5 different small and larger areas because I wasn't careful and I was semi rushing it and all times the pad slipped and the edge made contact...on large area bout the size of my thumb and bout 3 other times much small but all went straight thru the new shit and thru the old clearcoat :mad0 259:

That bout made me want to kill someone, if I had been more careful the bumper would have looked pretty damn near perfect. The color for everything looked a lot better this time, damn near exact with the rest of the car. Only issue now is obviously the hood is cotton ballish, the front bumper has a bunch of burns and most everything still has a decent amount of orange peel look despite all my effort...

Needless to say I am absolutely fucking over this "project"
At this point I'm either going to just say to hell with it all and just live with it. I'll prob try and do another polish in about a week just to have another hack at it though I'm absolutely not touching the front bumper with my rotary again as there's no way i'm fucking it up more..I'll wax the hell out of it after 30 days and call it.

That or I might just give in and take it to a maaco and have them redo JUST the hood. If they think they can "fix" the fuckups I made to the front bumper without much extra cost perhaps i'll let them. I really don't want to do this as I've heard nightmares bout their quality, but at this point I feel like their quality would still look a lot better then what I've ended up with

So that's the end. I'm not even going to bother with pictures as like I said I am so fucking done with this shit I wont even try. Thanks for all the input to all
Appreciate 0