BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Cursed1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lots of them

Picking up my car FRIDAY!!! Need a tutorial!

Owners,

I'm looking for some basic info. Flying across the country to pick up my new ride and drive it back to Texas. Because I'm driving 2k miles in four days I want to make sure my learning curve is as fast as possible.

My new to me 1M is fully loaded, something that seems loathed around here

Can I play music through the bluetooth? Is it possible to use the navigation to play video content? Do people use the USB and audio port to charge their phones and play music?

Anything you want to teach me now, would be awesome! Per the dealer, the software is updated and all maintenance is updated due to the car being a CPO.

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!

Adam
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

I will only respond if it's a VO ??
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed1 View Post
Owners,

I'm looking for some basic info. Flying across the country to pick up my new ride and drive it back to Texas. Because I'm driving 2k miles in four days I want to make sure my learning curve is as fast as possible.

Can I play music through the bluetooth? Is it possible to use the navigation to play video content? Do people use the USB and audio port to charge their phones and play music?

Anything you want to teach me now, would be awesome! Per the dealer, the software is updated and all maintenance is updated due to the car being a CPO.

Adam
VERY exciting, man! i will never forget the day i picked up the 1M. Felt like a little kid....

loaded 1Ms are GREAT....only a small minority are for 'strippers'....

I love having album artwork and full integration with my phone as i spend a lot of time in my 1M and need it to be a mobile office as well as my sports car! As for the details, i use the USB to charge my phone and play music from it. Bluetooth is only for phone calls as far as i know and have never been able to stream using it. I have never tried playing video content but i doubt you can.

Those 2k miles for the drive back are gonna be amazing!! make sure to take pics and enjoy the trip!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Cursed1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
VERY exciting, man! i will never forget the day i picked up the 1M. Felt like a little kid....

loaded 1Ms are GREAT....only a small minority are for 'strippers'....

I love having album artwork and full integration with my phone as i spend a lot of time in my 1M and need it to be a mobile office as well as my sports car! As for the details, i use the USB to charge my phone and play music from it. Bluetooth is only for phone calls as far as i know and have never been able to stream using it. I have never tried playing video content but i doubt you can.

Those 2k miles for the drive back are gonna be amazing!! make sure to take pics and enjoy the trip!
Thank you for the info!! My best friend lives in Brooklyn, wonderful place! Congrats on the baby. The drive is going to be special for sure, my wife is looking to learn the art of a 6sp on the way home which could be scary.

I've been scouring the threads for the last year of results and found a ton of excellent info.

The car is BLACK! I own a few other cars and black on black is what I prefer. I owned an e30 M3 in hennarot (orange), I had a chrome orange lotus elise and so on. My time in orange cars is over if I can control it!
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Congratulations! Make it a point to create some good memories of that drive back! Only advice I would say is keep it in MDM mode for awhile until you get a good feel for the car. It's still plenty of fun on MDM and the snap oversteer can be surprising at first with TC fully off! ...that could lead to some bad memories of that drive back!
      07-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MB M2cs, 2022 X5e, 2008 T4R

I stream music via Bluetooth. Bluetooth also works for phone and my turn by turn navigation directions.

It's great I loved picking mine up a few months ago. I only drive about 1300 miles though so you got me beat!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy757 View Post
I stream music via Bluetooth. Bluetooth also works for phone and my turn by turn navigation directions.

It's great I loved picking mine up a few months ago. I only drive about 1300 miles though so you got me beat!
how do you stream music by bluetooth!? please forgive if this is a silly question but i've never had that work in my car.....although phone calls are fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hmmm...not sure. I just connected my phone to the bluetooth and when I play any music on my phone it plays it on my car and even has the song/playlist/artist etc. The steering wheel controls can control the music playback (fast forward, rewind etc).

I can take pics/vid next time I take the car out if that helps?

Past: a91 ref blue Zupra, 86 Starion, 350z, Supra TT Auto, Supra TT 6 spd, IM/IM E46 M3, BMW 1m Coupe x2, S2000, 987.2 CS, ND2 MX5, LSB e46 M3 x2, 993 911
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy757 View Post
Hmmm...not sure. I just connected my phone to the bluetooth and when I play any music on my phone it plays it on my car and even has the song/playlist/artist etc. The steering wheel controls can control the music playback (fast forward, rewind etc).

I can take pics/vid next time I take the car out if that helps?
Android? On iOS don't think i can stream music through bluetooth...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed1 View Post
Owners,

Adam
Congrats, truly happy for you. I am the one guy that is not a fan of loaded 1Ms and Ayao is right there are very few of us wackos. So while you were asking about playing videos on your NAV screen, hopefully not while driving! I'll share one important suggestion about the 1M.

1. Don't turn traction control all the way off until you have gotten used to it. There is a little bit of lag and it can deceive you into more throttle and wheel spin can be gnarly. The car will go sideways in a hurry.

MDM mode is pretty good so I wouldn't go naked unless you are in a big parking lot. Also, take it easy in the rain. Again, the car will go sideways pretty easily.

Finally, keep your side windows clean in case you ignore my suggestion so you can see where you are going!

Congrats again, the 1M is a really special car.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #11
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
Android? On iOS don't think i can stream music through bluetooth...
Yea Android here. Interesting didnt know that iOS didnt allow bluetooth streaming, thats pretty disappointing.

Past: a91 ref blue Zupra, 86 Starion, 350z, Supra TT Auto, Supra TT 6 spd, IM/IM E46 M3, BMW 1m Coupe x2, S2000, 987.2 CS, ND2 MX5, LSB e46 M3 x2, 993 911
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:24 AM   #12
Lauting
Rep
Drives: Searching for 1M

You can stream music on iOS via bluetooth as I have mine setup.

I am running iOS 8.3 and works with apple's music app and spotify.

If I recall correctly you go to the multimedia menu and there is an option to output music via Bluetooth (I'll pop into my car later tonight and hopefully write the steps down).

Congrats and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #13
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Congrats on the little angry man.

And yes, IOS is supported for Bluetooth streaming. I use Pandora and it plays through the car Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #14
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

First: change your online name; It's not really confidence inspiring to ask for advise with that name ;-)
Second: my next US road trip I'll be preparing with stops inspired by Guy Fieri's diners-drive-ins-and-dives. Order the house specialty and you're sure to have maximum joy in-and-outside the 1M.

Quote:
... loaded 1Ms are GREAT....only a small minority are for 'strippers'....
Wait, so now we have to undress before entering our no-NAV cars?
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #15
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie
First: change your online name; It's not really confidence inspiring to ask for advise with that name ;-)
Second: my next US road trip I'll be preparing with stops inspired by Guy Fieri's diners-drive-ins-and-dives. Order the house specialty and you're sure to have maximum joy in-and-outside the 1M.

Quote:
... loaded 1Ms are GREAT....only a small minority are for 'strippers'....
Wait, so now we have to undress before entering our no-NAV cars?
haha! it's amazing you were able to afford the car based on just tips!!
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #16
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Don't let driving with MDM lull you into a false sense of security. I'm sure it has saved me a billion times over but it's not foolproof and in the wet you can definitely get the rear to come all the way around faster than you can say "I love my stripper" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Congrats, truly happy for you. I am the one guy that is not a fan of loaded 1Ms and Ayao is right there are very few of us wackos. So while you were asking about playing videos on your NAV screen, hopefully not while driving! I'll share one important suggestion about the 1M.

1. Don't turn traction control all the way off until you have gotten used to it. There is a little bit of lag and it can deceive you into more throttle and wheel spin can be gnarly. The car will go sideways in a hurry.

MDM mode is pretty good so I wouldn't go naked unless you are in a big parking lot. Also, take it easy in the rain. Again, the car will go sideways pretty easily.

Finally, keep your side windows clean in case you ignore my suggestion so you can see where you are going!

Congrats again, the 1M is a really special car.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #17
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Get home in one piece, don't drive like a hoon (though it's tempting), and explore the cars limits when you get home and you're in familiar surroundings
You're gonna have a heck of a road trip.....you'll be grinning all the way home
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #18
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauting

If I recall correctly you go to the multimedia menu and there is an option to output music via Bluetooth (I'll pop into my car later tonight and hopefully write the steps down).

Congrats and enjoy.
really?! wow....must investigate and figure out why I cannot
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #19
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauting View Post

Congrats and enjoy.
Yes, in the iDrive menu you must enable Bluetooth Audio to stream music.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Yes, in the iDrive menu you must enable Bluetooth Audio to stream music.
i don't think i have that option.

damn will have to look into this......i guess it's time to read the manual!??? LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Shall I go to garage and show it how to do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #22
Cursed1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the info gents.

I'll endure at least a few miles before driving the car hard or in anger. I'm not stranger to powerful cars but considering this car is nearly square, I'm sure it's a handful. I believe this car will feel a little like my old 2000 M Coupe, it was Sc'd to 300whp which made the rear end awfully playful.

We are driving through Nashville, Tn and hope to spend all day Sunday exploring. Maybe check out a few antique places and get some yummy food.
Appreciate 0