BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

VO for sale in OR

Just found this on ebay while tracking prices.
It might be the same one I just saw at BMW Portland last Friday on the rack that had custom plates that read "1 MMM."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-Series...m=321791958484

High miles, nicely optioned. Dealer spells "motors" with a "z" which really makes me wary of things.

I'm in PDX and can look at it if anybody is interested. I got a look at it from the underside and took a couple photos at a distance and didn't see anything wrong. My car goes in Monday for new tires and I can get the inside dirt on it from the service techs since I'm a long-time customer of the place.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

My 1 MMM was in Portland BMW last week for a coolant leak. However, it (with 6K miles) is Not for sale.

Just as information, my SA at the dealer tells me that there are only three that he knows of in Portland: one of each color. I've seen each of the other two on the street. I'm guessing the white one I've seen parked near PSU might be yours?

Last edited by EldRick; 06-26-2015 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

My AW is in the Pearl and in my spot at work in the 'burbs--never at PSU. I have met the owner of a BSM with the plate "1M" at my gym downtown. My AW and another BSM were the only two 1M's to come out of BMW Portland. I saw one other AW 1M with the plates "Cobb1M" at Sunset Porsche and that car was on its 3rd owner. After that there was yet another AW (probably the same car but with a new owner--we chatted briefly but I didn't ask about his car's history) in the same area around Nike. To my knowledge Kuni sold a BSM and an AW and that's it for PDX. I heard Salem or Bend got one VO allocation. Bottom line is that not more than 6 or 7 of these were sold in OR. This VO must be from out-of-state. It's typical for these guys to find cars in more saturated markets and then price gouge on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

55k for a car with 42k miles on it. iDrive. Yuck.
      06-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

That car has been for sale for several months. It gets relisted on ebay and Craigslist and Autotrader constantly.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
55k for a car with 42k miles on it. iDrive. Yuck.

actually that's exactly the KBB price on the 1M with this mileage----so it's not far off the mark.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
actually that's exactly the KBB price on the 1M with this mileage----so it's not far off the mark.
While I'm sure that's true, it's absolutely appalling value for money.
      06-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
While I'm sure that's true, it's absolutely appalling value for money.
not really, man

i paid low 50s for my similarly equipped 1M with 35k miles last year....and am super happy with the deal i got!! that's the price of these cars.....and when you really want one, you want one!

if i had to go back...i would do the same deal 100 times over! best money i've ever spent. Just celebrating 1 year of ownership and i can't tell you how good it is...worth every penny and more.

Last edited by IEDEI; 06-27-2015 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
not really, man

i paid low 50s for my similarly equipped 1M with 35k miles last year....and am super happy with the deal i got!! that's the price of these cars.....and when you really want one, you want one!

if i had to go back...i would do the same deal 100 times over! best money i've ever spent. Just celebrating 1 year of ownership and i can't tell you how good it is...worth every penny and more.
If you say so. Plenty of options out there at the same price point with 20-30k fewer miles on them the last time I checked.
      06-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Quote:
not really, man

If you say so. Plenty of options out there at the same price point with 20-30k fewer miles on them the last time I checked.
crash histories, sketchy histories....gotta be careful.

A good car with 15k miles should be in the mid to upper 50s. A car with 15k miles for low 50s is a red flag, IMO----less than $50k is most certainly a crash history for almost any 1M.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:

A good car with 15k miles should be in the mid to upper 50s. A car with 15k miles for low 50s is a red flag, IMO----less than $50k is most certainly a crash history for almost any 1M.
Last time I checked this car has 42k miles and is 56,000 USD. So if a good car with 15k miles should go for the mid to upper 50s, this car is overpriced.
      06-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Last time I checked this car has 42k miles and is 56,000 USD. So if a good car with 15k miles should go for the mid to upper 50s, this car is overpriced.
true...i mean it's close to KBB.....but you're right maybe a touch high. nothing an aggressive negotiation probably can't solve! haha

i personally think that a car's history is more important than mileage....this has a 2 owner history so it really depends how well documented those owners are. 1st owner sold it with 333 miles so basically only one actual driving owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
true...i mean it's close to KBB.....but you're right maybe a touch high. nothing an aggressive negotiation probably can't solve! haha

i personally think that a car's history is more important than mileage....this has a 2 owner history so it really depends how well documented those owners are. 1st owner sold it with 333 miles so basically only one actual driving owner.
Generally agreed. I'll say that KBB always seems to be a little on the high side for what cars are actually worth.

Number of owners never bothers me really. M cars seem to always have a higher number of owners after ~5 years have gone by. Keep getting sold and traded around. Service records are important, and so is miles. The reason I say miles are important: high performance cars typically live hard lives. Especially garage queens.
      06-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Generally agreed. I'll say that KBB always seems to be a little on the high side for what cars are actually worth.

Number of owners never bothers me really. M cars seem to always have a higher number of owners after ~5 years have gone by. Keep getting sold and traded around. Service records are important, and so is miles. The reason I say miles are important: high performance cars typically live hard lives. Especially garage queens.
i hear you....i think mileage is a controversial topic.

y'know when i was shopping for a 1M i was looking for a HIGHER mileage car that had a fantastic history documented, preferably at one dealership. That's exactly what i was chasing regardless of price......the reason being that i knew after buying the car it would be put immediately into daily-driver duties and i really did not want to deal with a car that had been 'sitting' for 3 years doing nothing----also a lot of owners who don't drive their cars also don't do the maintenance we are supposed to do regardless of mileage (a lot of maintenance is supposed to be done by time standards even if the mileage isn't accomplished). I feel that a lot of 'garage queens' are driven HARD on scattered occasions but have low mileage....without the proper attention to service/maintenance.

Of course mileage becomes more important if the car is joining a collection or is going to be a 2nd or 3rd car in a garage----but less important if it is going to be driven, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #15
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I paid $47.5K delivered to me in Idaho for a VO with 26K miles on it, in late April. It was a Canadian car and it lacked Nav, but had every other option. The cluster was changed to miles for me by the seller at their cost, and the delivery was at their cost.

There is nothing wrong with the car, it has not been tracked or crashed, I have spoken to the prior owner (who sold it to the dealer I bought it from). Plus, I have had it looked at by one BMW dealer plus my independent mechanic (who I trust more) plus by a body shop who is going to touch up the front bumper (from parking lot curb rash). There is absolutely no prior body damage.

I think that the prices have softened on the 1-Series cars, they are not reselling well from what I have seen. There are quite a few slightly used 1Ms that are for sale for prices in the stratosphere, but I have not seen any 1M move in 3 months at a verifiable price of over $50K (on AT, Ebay, etc.).

This is not to say that your car was not worth its price, however I don't think that many, if any, deals are getting done on used 1Ms priced at over $50K right now.

And it is anyone's guess what will happen to 1M pricing once the M2 release is imminent. The prices might remain stable or even go up, but there is the risk that a lot of 1M owners will decide to go with the newer model, and of course, there may be a number of prospective 1M used car buyers who elect to get an M2 instead. Who can guess?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #16
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This car is being sold by a 2nd hand car dealer that claims to deal in high end cars. 2nd hand dealers in my experience are a pretty sketchy lot, and from my own contact with them (never bought but have made some offers on several vintage and used BMWs) seem a lot less organized or rational than BMW dealers when it comes to dealing with cars that sit on the lot for too long.

I have personally had several experiences with such dealers in the last 6 months, where I made an offer, was turned down or negotiated to the point where I gave up, then only to watch the cars sit and sit and sit for weeks and months, followed by the dealer ultimately lowering the asking prices below what I had offered previously. And not a single one of them even bothered to come back to me a month or 2 later and ask me if I was still interested in the car.

Regular dealers on the other hand may be less likely to negotiate a good deal, but they don't sit on the inventory. If the used car hasn't sold within a reasonable period of time, they get rid of it, either through their own network (many dealers are parts of large dealership chains) or by sending it off to auction.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I paid $47.5K delivered to me in Idaho for a VO with 26K miles on it, in late April. It was a Canadian car and it lacked Nav, but had every other option. The cluster was changed to miles for me by the seller at their cost, and the delivery was at their cost.

There is nothing wrong with the car, it has not been tracked or crashed, I have spoken to the prior owner (who sold it to the dealer I bought it from). Plus, I have had it looked at by one BMW dealer plus my independent mechanic (who I trust more) plus by a body shop who is going to touch up the front bumper (from parking lot curb rash). There is absolutely no prior body damage.

I think that the prices have softened on the 1-Series cars, they are not reselling well from what I have seen. There are quite a few slightly used 1Ms that are for sale for prices in the stratosphere, but I have not seen any 1M move in 3 months at a verifiable price of over $50K (on AT, Ebay, etc.).

This is not to say that your car was not worth its price, however I don't think that many, if any, deals are getting done on used 1Ms priced at over $50K right now.

And it is anyone's guess what will happen to 1M pricing once the M2 release is imminent. The prices might remain stable or even go up, but there is the risk that a lot of 1M owners will decide to go with the newer model, and of course, there may be a number of prospective 1M used car buyers who elect to get an M2 instead. Who can guess?
you can do it from Canada...for sure. Because CAD$ are VERY strong.

I know at least 2 or 3 1Ms that have been purchased in the last 2-3 months for prices varying from $55k to $59k. People are buying them......and people are trading them in.

The canadian cars are all selling in the same range $55k to $59k----but in CAD$ which translates into $44-47k. I'm not counting the canadian cars in this observation------you got a good deal for US standards though. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #18
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

I paid mid 50s for a clean VO stripper w/ 14k miles in March. Looked at nearly a dozen cars, had a handful PPI'd and am v happy w/ the price I paid.

I suspect the average sale price will go down as average mileage and wear/damage increases... but I also suspect that clean, low mileage (particularly stripper) 1Ms will hold value/continue to appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #19
AYEDEE
Captain
Australia-Aboriginal
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

Its true. These are still holding value well. Havent appreciated much tho the percent in drop is lower than other M models
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #20
Phiberoptik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

When the M2 comes out next year the prices on these are going to take a considerable hit.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberoptik
When the M2 comes out next year the prices on these are going to take a considerable hit.
they said the same when the M4 was coming out and nothing happened....so I doubt it..

the M2 will be a fine car but it's no 1M and never will be!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberoptik View Post
This will be true if the people who are looking at used 1Ms are the same sorts of people looking at new M2s. At this point, the answer is unknowable.

Past experience with limited production BMWs that become collectible would suggest that the 1M probably cannot retain ~100% of its original MSRP as the cars age and accumulate miles.

To take but one example, the Z3M Coupe, of which only around 3000 were made and sold into the US market, has become a cult car. I even own one, plus another of its weaker sister, the Z3 Coupe.

Originally, the Z3M Coupe went for around $40,000 in (year) 2000 dollars. I don't know the exact purchasing power of the 2000 dollar vs. the 2015 dollar, but I think it is safe to say that a $40K car in 2000 would likely be a $60K or $65K car in 2015.

Forgetting about a few garage queen cars with hardly any miles at all, and concentrating on the S52 engine Z3M Coupes that represented about 75% of the total production, a good Z3M Coupe with 50,000 miles give or take 10K miles, will sell for $25 to $30K today.

So, after 15 years you are left with up to maybe 50% of the purchasing power on resale of your very lightly used Z3M Coupe.

While I think it is possible that the 1M will do better than this, I'd be surprised if it did very much better.
Appreciate 0