BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #23
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
What shocks are you running with the BMWP springs?

Edit: just saw your signature, please ignore lol
I scoured the entire shock body looking for any kind of manufacturer's stamp, but found nothing. I assume it's a Bilstein and not a Sachs. I definitely love them for city/daily driving regardless. They might be okay for an occasional track day, but definitely not up to competition usage.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #24
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I scoured the entire shock body looking for any kind of manufacturer's stamp, but found nothing. I assume it's a Bilstein and not a Sachs. I definitely love them for city/daily driving regardless. They might be okay for an occasional track day, but definitely not up to competition usage.
I appreciate the info. That is the kind of set up I'm after. My car is primarily for daily driving, but with some backroads and a bit of AutoX thrown in. If I could manage to find the kit I'm sure it would be ridiculously expensive compared to other options unfortunately.

I was about to pull the trigger on some B6s to run with the stock M-sport springs, but now I'm considering going with B8s just in case I end up picking up the BMWP springs later on.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #25
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
The Konis will definitely improve body control especially over tired/old OEM shocks. The spring upgrades will provide you with further ride stiffness and lower height, really depends what you are after. I would also suggest refreshing/replacing all rubber parts like spring pads, strut mounts etc while you are in there - the overall costs are not high and you can get most of the parts in a package. ECS Tuning for example sells such a kit.
When upgrading to Koni's, make sure you get the externally adjustable rears so you don't need to remove the rear shocks for damping adjustment.
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      07-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #26
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
If you go with the BMWP springs make sure you get the right ones for your car. One of the big + of those springs is they are not a one size fits all. They are selected based on the weight of the car.
How would you determine which BMWP spring to get? I have a '12 135i DCT.

I've also been looking to switch out my dampers for quite some time. I'm at 155,000 kms or 96,000 miles. Not quite sure if I actually need to switch out my springs or just the dampers. Do springs usually go bad?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #27
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
How would you determine which BMWP spring to get? I have a '12 135i DCT.

I've also been looking to switch out my dampers for quite some time. I'm at 155,000 kms or 96,000 miles. Not quite sure if I actually need to switch out my springs or just the dampers. Do springs usually go bad?
Call a dealer with your VIN and they can plug it into a spring selector. Late last year I found the selector online but no longer can get into it. I used Tischer / GetBMWParts for my springs. They were extremely helpful and priced as good or better than anyone else. I don't know what issues you might have with shipping to Canada.

My unofficial SWAG is you will need T3/T2 F/R or maybe T3/T3 with a 135i DCT, especially if you have power seats and a sunroof.

I don't think springs wear out too easily, but, if you've driven on salted roads, they could be getting bad. Hard to say from a distance.
      07-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #28
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Call a dealer with your VIN and they can plug it into a spring selector. Late last year I found the selector online but no longer can get into it. I used Tischer / GetBMWParts for my springs. They were extremely helpful and priced as good or better than anyone else. I don't know what issues you might have with shipping to Canada.

My unofficial SWAG is you will need T3/T2 F/R or maybe T3/T3 with a 135i DCT, especially if you have power seats and a sunroof.

I don't think springs wear out too easily, but, if you've driven on salted roads, they could be getting bad. Hard to say from a distance.
Thank you!

Also, I've read so many threads about this in the past but it seems that the answer isn't 100% clear. I'm about to order the Bilstein B6 with my M-Sport springs (I believe it is stock for 135i). Just looking for confirmation that this is indeed correct over the B8's.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #29
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!

Also, I've read so many threads about this in the past but it seems that the answer isn't 100% clear. I'm about to order the Bilstein B6 with my M-Sport springs (I believe it is stock for 135i). Just looking for confirmation that this is indeed correct over the B8's.
From all the back and forth I've read, I think B6 is correct for M-Sport springs. With more of a drop like Eibach's give, B8 works. For BMWP springs I think it's nearly a coin toss. One of the reasons I went Koni sports with my setup.
      07-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #30
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
From all the back and forth I've read, I think B6 is correct for M-Sport springs. With more of a drop like Eibach's give, B8 works. For BMWP springs I think it's nearly a coin toss. One of the reasons I went Koni sports with my setup.
Adjustability is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #31
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Adjustability is a plus.
Yep - that was one of the other reasons. And they are supposed to be just a little more comfortable on poor roads, yet far from cushy.
      07-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #32
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the replies.

I still think I'm going to go towards the Bilsteins given that I'm more of a plug n play kinda guy. Fiddling with the damper settings or adjustability isn't something that I think I would have fun with.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #33
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Seems like it is impossible to order the Bilstein B6's. I contacted a local store and they said they could get the fronts but the rear shocks are on indefinite back-order...

Does anyone have any shops to recommend that are in Canada for me to explore further?

Otherwise, I think I'm going to be "forced" to go with the KONI Yellows.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #34
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Seems like it is impossible to order the Bilstein B6's. I contacted a local store and they said they could get the fronts but the rear shocks are on indefinite back-order...

Does anyone have any shops to recommend that are in Canada for me to explore further?

Otherwise, I think I'm going to be "forced" to go with the KONI Yellows.

Koni adjustment isn't THAT difficult. The fronts are about as easy as opening the engine compartment and turning a knob. The rears are a bit of a pita as you really need to remove them to adjust. I don't know how much of your suspension work you do, but, rear shock R&R is minor effort compared to fronts.

I did mine on the initial install, then when I changed my lower shock mounts, took that opportunity to tweak them.

If you set all four at midpoint + or - a little depending on preference, you've got good dampers and really can forget them if so inclined.
      08-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #35
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you!

You've got it right. B6's for ALL BMW springs, none of which drop more than 25mm.
Appreciate 2
asbrr540.50
      09-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #36
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Not sure if anyone cares but after getting frustrated with Bilstein's inventory levels and not being 100% happy with the sounds of KONI's... I've decided to go ahead with the Bilstein B4 which I believe is more of an OEM replacement for my 135i. Suppliers also had many of these in stock. Not sure what the deal is with the B6 and B8's...

These will be paired with my current M-sport springs (I believe all 135i models came with m-sport springs).

I'm getting them installed tomorrow!
Appreciate 0