BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Petros 135i

So it's time I made a thread and stopped putting little threads all over the place.
The knowledge on this forum has got me to where I am today. And will take my little e88 into the next 100k miles, hopefully big job free.

This is the day my RB "The Twos" ship. Ready to go I have Vrsf, inlets, outlets, lower chargepipe here. I also got a Bms occ, a 3.5 tmap sensor with adapter.
I will also pull my intake manifold and drill a new vacuum line from bov. Most of my vacuum lines are new but I will replace the ones I couldn't get to, while everything is out of the car
On my car already is a vrsf chargepipe and dp's, with a turbosmart bov and a bms dci and a cheapie ebay 5" stepped fmic. Which I will upgrade to 7" but figure I can wait until after the winter. Also have a bucketless stg2 fuel pump in the car and a bucket stg2 I just finished just in case.
Lots of little things on there as well. New boost solenoids, new vanos, Carbon fiber badge and roundelles. Smoked side markers, matte grilles, Vmr 703's. The tires are the imove. And they are terrible in the rain. They came with the car and I'm very soon buying new ones in the 235/265 A/S size. My vmr's are 9.5" on rear and 8.5" on front and the 225/245 tires are a little stretched.
Since this is a photo area and I don't have many pics and no good ones I'll throw up something. Keep my already long first post as short as possible I will put my cars past history in a next post.
The turbo install depends on shipping arrival. If they arrive by tuesday I'm starting this job this sunday. If they come after tues I will wait a week. Thanks for looking
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      11-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So when I bought my car I did not do a thorough inspection and I paid the price. Turns out I needed new shocks all around, bump stops a couple shock mounts, new sway bar and mounts, there were no belly pans on the car, all the pulleys and belts were replaced, the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil cooler gasket, plugs and coils and a much needed walnut blast.
I had someone turn my rod caps around and put them on the wrong way, so that was new rod bearings and bolts. Add on new control arms and several bushings. I went oem on all suspension, but I like the ride height and I wanted to start from scratch. Once I relocate in about a year I will start on the suspension again.
I just want to say again I love this car and I couldn't have done any of the jobs I did without the knowledge of this forum. Thank you
Oh btw turbos will be done in my garage on jackstands. It seems like a very big task, hope it all works out. Lots of pics coming soon
Appreciate 1
Afam28296.50
      11-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 PS2 N55 135i

Love the color! And congrats on the turbo purchase! I can't recall that I've seen someone swap turbos on an E88 before. Should be a unique build! Can't wait to see the results!
      11-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Love the color! And congrats on the turbo purchase! I can't recall that I've seen someone swap turbos on an E88 before. Should be a unique build! Can't wait to see the results!
Thank you, if I finish this and still throw a 30ff code I might drive it into the ocean. But I'm 99% sure it's my wastegates.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Started the turbo job. Biggest things that held me up were not having the right tool for the right job. Didnt have a tow hook in my car. Thought I did. Must be my other car I saw it. So had to wait for a tow hook to get delivered. Also fed ex put up my tracking info as a tuesday delivery and after I started doing this job, I checked where my turbos are and they changed delivery until wednesday. So I had to slow down a bit. So I pulled the intake manifold and drilled a 1/4" barbed for the bov line. My directions I received from RB said this is mandatory.
As it sits now got fan out, IC, suspension is down, steering rack down and subframe off. Downpipes out. Tomorrow I have to take water pump, thermo, and all the oil and coolant lines for turbos off, and drop them down and get them cleaned out and ready to fit on new turbos.
Problems I had so far?
1. Ends of steering rack bolts nearly killed me. Had to torch them and heat them up to get em off.
2. I'm too fat, needed to go get larger jackstands to get under car comfortably on a creeper.
All in all it's not so bad just alot of stuff to keep track of where it goes. See if I can get turbos up tomorrow.
First is a pic of my map sensor. O ring is broke. I just changed that couple weeks ago. Hope they are breaking when I pull it out and it wasn't in there like that. I oiled it too. Luckily I have a 3.5 bar coming and an awesome oring collection
Attached Images

Last edited by Petro135; 11-19-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Another day. Turbos didnt come until late wed afternoon. I have to work the next few days
Got old turbos out, one had a definite rattle and play in the wastegate. And was leaking oil.
Seems I'm at a standstill anyway my one coolant line that has a heat shield wrapped around it was gouged on the rubber part. By the heat shield peeling back. Its usable but I don't want to take any chances so I ordered a new one.
Block is cleaned, all lines except new one are cleaned, new o rings and on new turbos. The inlet screws were a pain in the ass. I got this tiny tool in the pic below to get the screws out. Worked great for first one but other was too tight to break with this little tool. So I just cut it a little with my tiny hacksaw and broke it off the bracket and sliding the new inlet through was kind of a pain too. But I used the hook end of a long pry bar and pulled it through the bottom. All in all it's coming pretty well. If I had no setbacks I'd be done already. But it can wait until monday when my coolant line gets here. My back is 50 years old and doesn't like this no lift thing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Nice work! Coming along nicely. Most of the turbo install threads I've seen mention that one or more of the lines end up not being reusable after uninstall. They either get damaged or bent it seems. Seems easier to just have new lines waiting to go in with the new turbos!
      11-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #8
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Αμαξαρα!!!
Really digging the wheels, nice setup so far!
      11-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thank you both.
I didnt have much time today. But I wouldn't be able to relax unless I did something. So I worked until I got both turbos hung and torqued and all the oil and coolant lines done. I have one stubborn front turbo upper coolant line to pop in and screw down tomorrow. Then I'm buttoning up the coolant supply pipe and the bottom piece that connects the 2 heat shields.
Then it's time to put this all back together. Cant wait to press start. I haven't been taking too many pics, but I have been keeping track of things I did differently than alot of the diy's I read. I really wish my forearms were skinnier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So today whooped my ass. I been working on this hard for the last 2 days. Everything is done, except I can't figure out how to get the front inlet and the fan and the coolant line that runs across there to all fit. Right now I have the fan and inlet jammed in so tight its rubbing on the pulley. I haven't started the car yet but it's ready. Put oil but didnt fill coolant in case I have to take off a hose to make this work. I broke the fan shroud in a couple places. Just ordered a new one, but I can pull everything back out and jb weld this one tomorrow and try it again. Luckily you don't have to order the whole fan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Things I did differently or screwed up:
1. Must put those top coolant lines in before installing the turbos. I had a hell of a time getting them secured and the screws in. But it is doable.
Also take upper coolant lines off turbo first and leave in the block when disassembling
2. I hate V band clamps. Especially the little ones for the outlets. Leave all the outlet connections loose then tighten after they are all in.
3. Don't believe everything you read. I followed a pretty thorough diy, which ended with the downpipes being re-installed. Then it said first bolt mount to block, then subframe to mounts, then subframe to chassis.
Not the correct order. I had to pull the downpipes back off to get the engine mount back on. Stupid mistake because you can see it. But I was following this thread.
3. Definitely do rear turbo first, the front has so much more access.
4. The coolant line bolts that are on the front of the subframe can easily be removed by pulling the fan. Either from a long extension from the top, or just by reaching in under the front.
The diys I read all said there was 3, but those were 335i's. My car only had 2.
5. Those fmic clips are crap i put some gasket seal in there, just around the upper part of the connection. So there is no way any gasket seal can get in the air flow.
I need to get a bigger IC and get rid of the oem connections.
Occ and pcv are new. I ordered a tune from motive. If they ever get back to me.
I'm praying for no oil leaks or coolant leaks. Tomorrow I start the car. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Well I have both coolant and oil leaks. Lol. Coolant is from bottom of radiator. I saw someone had jb welded the fitting on it. I scraped it off and it looked new in perfect condition. So I just plugged it back in. Now it leaks. I should never have touched it. Oil leak is from top line on rear turbo. I guess I crushed an oring. Because I put all those lines on properly with the correct torque. So I'm bringing it to my local bmw guy. He said he will do it on the lift. I'm grateful, because I'm done on my back.
Oh that pesky inlet I fought with for 3 hours, my wife walks in the garage and says "why don't you put lube on it and pull it up with this" she hangs me a wire hanger. Worked in 5 min, popped right into place. Lol.
I'm flashing back to stg 0 mhd and adding the 3.5bar sensor. See how she runs until I hear from motive.
Thanks for looking
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

You'll have the little bugs and kinks worked out in no time! Keep your head up! The end is near!

Can't wait to hear your first drive impression once you get the new tune on there.
      12-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Just for the reason of documenting it somewhere. This is what I got back from RB after I asked about the condition of my core returned oem turbos
"As expected both wastegates were basically equally worn out and the turbine seals (as with all the rest of them) had lost ductility and were no longer providing a good seal."
So that along with the rear turbo inlet not being tight on the turbo at all are obviously my 30ff code. Changed absolutely everything to get it solved. Still love my car!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Final turbo install update. Well it turns out I suck at this turbo install thing. My upper rear turbo oil line had a leak from a crushed o-ring, and my lower oil lines that connect together in the middle then plug to the block were leaking and my front turbo upper coolant line. Was also leaking but that was a beat up oem hose. And oh yea I popped a hole In my radiator while trying to muscle in the fan. Lmao!!! My indy mech had a CSF aluminum radiator on hand ,and he gave me an awesome deal on it. So I had him put it in.
If I had to do it again I'd buy all new lines for both turbos.
He told me a few things.
1. Don't do turbos on your back.
2. Keep my day job.
3. Stop fking with the car and just drive it.
So I sat out front of the shop and loaded my motive base tune. I made it until the oil hit 180 before I had to test it. Its raining so no WOT logs for motive yet. But holy crap, I lost the rear into 3rd 4th and 5th with the traction control on. I have an AT that I usually shift with the shifter. I hate paddles and this is my first AT fun car. So the shifter feels most comfortable for me. Now that I drove AT and can just put it in sport and not think about shifting at times. I don't think I'd go back to MT.

Anyway, turbos are done, car is running sweet. Gotta start logging to get my 93 oct tune done. Then into e50.

I need to find sticky tires. Think I'll get cheap all seasons for the few months of winter ahead ,I wont drive the 1 in the snow. then get something nice in the spring

Next up is rsfb's and a hochkis swaybar.
I also have to fix my bumper issues and repaint my hood.

The pic below is how frickin tight everything is in there. Its scary. I had to slide a piece of paper between in between to see if I was hitting the pulley anywhere. The new radiator makes it eve tighter.
I hope nothing moves even a mm
Attached Images

Last edited by Petro135; 12-11-2019 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #16
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So its finally stopped raining and I got some logs.
But of course I had some issues, luckily they started a few days ago and I fixed it. Was a bank 2 o2 sensor that said unplugged. Replaced it im still getting a code but t says analyzing, so I'm hoping it's a thing that needs to cycle out. Still did logs because it's running really well. Tried to get my 7/8 wrench up to the o2 sensor and couldn't get it. So I made this tool below with my grinder. Now it's my official o2 tool and works great. Didnt have to move anything but the belly pan. I'm going to post some logs up below. But just screenshots from my phone. I have not mastered the datazap app yet. Took me all day to figure it out.
Not sure what the 2nd pic is but I uploaded it so if its guitars sorry Lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #17
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The base map I got from motive obviously tops at 15.2 psi. Because everytime I reset my mhd gauges today that number came back up.
I was asked to do a 3rd gear pull from 2k rpm to as much as 7k. But my car shifts at 6800. And I was over 100mph before I hit the shift point. Didnt know it would be going that fast in 3rd. Next time I need to find a smoother road.
I know no one reads this stuff I put up but if anyone does and knows about logs please chime in. I see from the timing I may need new plugs, just put new coils in yesterday. The air/fuel of lambda looks good, the wastegates are good, and I'm not sure about the others. I read a "how to read logs " tutorial but I still just don't know.
These are all phone screenshots sorry if they are hard to read or didnt fit in the screen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Good thing I started this thread. I just changed phones and everything was moved to my new phone. Except all my camera pics. Lost a few years of good pics.
Anyway been busy, ended up buying the other o2 sensor and changing them both, and now all codes are gone.
Seems I cracked my waterpump, maybe when I did turbos, maybe I tightened the hose clamp too much? Don't know but it was dripping and when I touched the hose, it just let loose on my face. Lol. And tightening the hose made it worse. So did new U hose thermostat and waterpump.
From the o2 sensor issues the car was misfiring so I put new coils in.
FINALLY!!! everything is running great, no codes, drives smooth.
My 2nd revision of my tune from Motive is loaded, he added some serious load this time. But of course it's raining and I cant test it or do logs.

First base tune pulled steady to redline but was a bit boring in the lower rpms. Not so much anymore, it is now very jumpy when getting into the throttle.
It also seems to be mellow and smooth when not getting into boost. Very sleeper like.

Next I'm trying my hand at carbon fiber. I did some test pieces. Started out bad figured out some tricks and got better and better. Tried a couple different epoxies until I found one I liked. Just ordered a new sheet of fiber and will do 4 interior parts. The dash trim, the 2 door pulls, and the piece around the shifter. I think I'm going to do an ashtray delete, so I'm not taking apart the console yet to do ashtray door. Im doing this just because my black everything in the car is boring. All my sanded down pieces ready and waiting the fed ex guy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #19
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
It took me a couple test pieces to get it right. Learned to tape edges first and foremost. I over did the epoxy. I might have to shave off some drips before it fits back in properly. I also probably could use a 3rd coat of epoxy and sand to 3000 grit and polish. But I'm not getting that crazy with it. Can always pull it off and do it later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #20
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
https://datazap.me/u/petro135/revision2-log2

Here's my revision 2 log. I'm just trying to see if I posted it correctly.
Basically I told Jake at Motive. That this tune is awesome for 93 oct. Car runs better than ever. When not in boost it is smooth as silk. And when I get into it, it's a bear. Next I'll work on the e50 tune.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #21
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Wow! Awesome work on that custom carbon fiber trim! Never thought about trying to do it myself. That looks like it turned out very well! Can't wait to see it installed.

Glad to hear you are getting the rest of the bugs worked out. Log reading is an acquired skill, lol. Just talk with your tuner and ask him what to watch out for. Looks like those turbos are spooling really quickly, and are barely pushing themselves according to the WGDC numbers. That's a good thing.

Things I like to watch for are timing corrections, High Pressure Fuel PSI, Lamda (Air Fuel Ratio), WGDC, and boost hitting target. You'll learn more about it the more you use it.

Thanks for the updates!
      01-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #22
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks the carbon came out nice, the big piece across the dash, needs another coat to get the last couple waves out. But I'm good with it for now. I'd look for an epoxy that is super thick and doesnt run as much as the one I used.
So it can go on thick and then sand it all the way back to smooth.

Anyway my car is boosting fast and I'm steady topping out at 21.8 psi and its wicked fast just on 93 octane. And smooth as silk when I'm just cruising town.
I need to just drive it now it's running this good.thanks for looking
Appreciate 1