BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
BMS PBX 8 months in, lagging in shifts

Those who have the PBX for a long time (5 or more months) are you noticing a delay in shifting when accelerating? I keep mine on map 3, and lately the shifts between gears under hard acceleration start to feel jerkier and not smooth. It annoyed me so much I turned off the PBX, now the car rides better and smoother. My opinion, the cold weather has improved the efficiency of the injen intake and this puts a lot of stress on the PBX. This cause serious concerns about long term issues with the tranny, it looks like it puts a lot of stress on it. Anyone else experiencing this?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
Those who have the PBX for a long time (5 or more months) are you noticing a delay in shifting when accelerating? I keep mine on map 3, and lately the shifts between gears under hard acceleration start to feel jerkier and not smooth. It annoyed me so much I turned off the PBX, now the car rides better and smoother. My opinion, the cold weather has improved the efficiency of the injen intake and this puts a lot of stress on the PBX. This cause serious concerns about long term issues with the tranny, it looks like it puts a lot of stress on it. Anyone else experiencing this?
I would like to reply with my thoughts, but to preface, i do nt have the PBX box installed..

looking at where you are from (rhode island) BMW autos / steps / etc are VERY touchy when it comes to transmission fluid temperature. My car has been exhibiting the same ( 3k miles on it) only since us in the NE have had some recent cold days / evenings..

Question, does the jerkyness only happen in the AM ???? after a cold evening??? If you would like to try something to test the theory, the next cold morning, get in your car , start it, apply e-brake, and put the car in gear. This will get the trans pump pumping and the converter generating a little heat. leave it like that for 5 minutes or longer .. chock the wheels if it makes you feel safer. Then go out for a ride and report back if the jerkyness is gone. My experience tells me that trans temp is too cold, and nothing to do with pbx box.
      11-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
bmwmike335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
I would like to reply with my thoughts, but to preface, i do nt have the PBX box installed..

looking at where you are from (rhode island) BMW autos / steps / etc are VERY touchy when it comes to transmission fluid temperature. My car has been exhibiting the same ( 3k miles on it) only since us in the NE have had some recent cold days / evenings..

Question, does the jerkyness only happen in the AM ???? after a cold evening??? If you would like to try something to test the theory, the next cold morning, get in your car , start it, apply e-brake, and put the car in gear. This will get the trans pump pumping and the converter generating a little heat. leave it like that for 5 minutes or longer .. chock the wheels if it makes you feel safer. Then go out for a ride and report back if the jerkyness is gone. My experience tells me that trans temp is too cold, and nothing to do with pbx box.
^ Yea what he said lol

doubt the PBX creates issues on the tranny. might wana warm up ur car for a little bit before driving in the mornings
2013 535i (RIP), 2014 535i (RIP)
2013 e92 M3 interlagos blue
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post

Will try this, I did noticed the "jerkiness" was more aggressive when colder outside. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Last winter I noticed that my gear changes (I'm in a manual) "felt" different than in the summer, at least until the car had warmed up after driving a little while. I suspected this had something to do with the tranny fluid being cold, so again, it's probably just cold weather related. If it works better without the PBX during winter, just leave it off, no harm in that.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
Hi I definately noticed. I was unbearable on <Map3 and after a few weeks on Map 7 the transmission is acting funny too, it shifts when it hits 3000rpm mark and sometimes the engine holds that rpm range for slightly too long. As the result my running temp of the engine is now higher than what it once was. I can actually feel the heat comming out of the side of my steering wheel.

Now i am deciding whether to take that baby out or disabled it. the last thing we want is a stuffed up engine or tranny. Appreciate your thoughts.
      01-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Interesting, I don't feel any extra heat, but those results not suprising, I would assume the temperature coincides to how hard you run the car, do you feel the heat on a daily basis or when you drive the car hard? Keeping the PBX in the car for now, had it in for almost a year, if it were to cause any serious damage it would happen by now. I think you can solve the shifting issue through reseting the learned transmission by holding the gas pedal on when turning on the car but keeping the engine off. Best of luck
Appreciate 0