BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #67
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

Matticus91 thanks for the detailed write up, this adds a lot of confidence for buying aftermarket warranty. My own experience (with dealer-purchased Toyota top-line extended warranties some years ago) did not pay out; I voided them, got my money back, haven't considered one since. Looking into buying a 135i, I'm more interested as I expect it to be a much higher-cost car to maintain than the Priuses and Volts I've had for the last 2 decades.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      01-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #68
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
Matticus91 thanks for the detailed write up, this adds a lot of confidence for buying aftermarket warranty. My own experience (with dealer-purchased Toyota top-line extended warranties some years ago) did not pay out; I voided them, got my money back, haven't considered one since. Looking into buying a 135i, I'm more interested as I expect it to be a much higher-cost car to maintain than the Priuses and Volts I've had for the last 2 decades.
Glad to be of help! Do look at FCP Euro too their replacement plan can't be beat
      02-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #69
DCX3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X3

PLEASE PM me the name of the contact for this company. Sir. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #70
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCX3er View Post
Warranty solutions but you have to purchase the warranty when you buy the car at an approved dealership, I got mine from Hanna Imports.
      02-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #71
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Is Life a Box of Chocolates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
On average, you're absolutely right. However that average would have to include ALL warranty policies that a given company provides. They understand that certain cars or brands will yield less of a return, this is very basic. Even more basic is the understanding that many people will be duped into buying these warranties for cars that simply do not need them. For example, I was offered a very similar policy at almost the same price on my already-CPO covered Ford Fusion. I'm sure some people make that move and would essentially dump $3k into the company.

Now let's talk volume. A company such as this will simply not have the man power to run a return rate analysis on every single car before they approve a policy, especially less common cars like the 1-Series. So the truth of the matter is that as people who spend a shit-ton of time on the internet communities based for these cars, we probably have more knowledge on our specific vehicle than they could ever hope to have on hand.

So when I saw a warranty this comprehensive (lifetime, unlimited miles, complete coverage) at the price purchased, it was a no-hesitation decision. I drive hard and plan to keep the car for a LONG time, things will fail, and "things" are expensive.
I kind of doubt the company isn't aware of various mechanical problems that BMWs have. Another thing to consider not all BMWs will have the number of expensive repairs your car has had. And I'm pretty sure a $10K+ DCT replacement would catch their attention.

I wonder if they are forced to offer warranties on trouble prone cars like Mercedes and BMW to be able to offer warranties to other brands? In other words, can they get away with practicing discrimination?

Just looking at one brand, say BMW, over say a period of one year, the question would be is the income-cost positive? Again it might be again realizing that many cars might not have major problems. Also first owners might dump the cars before major problems pop up. The second owners might ignore warranties looking at their percentage cost of the purchase price.

I have the BMW Gold warranty which I paid $3K for three years. I look at it as an insurance policy to protect me against major problems. So far, I've only had to have injector #2 replaced. I have 15 months left on it. With the original and extended, I'll have had 7 years of coverage.

My ownership rule is 10 years or 100,000 miles. At that point, I consider the car pretty much junk in terms of market value. In short, I'll need another warranty for three more years. I paid $38K for the car new, so adding in the cost of warranties or $6K assuming the cost of the next warranty is $3K, the cost of ownership would be $44K excluding operational costs.

Who knows what the future will hold? Only the Shadow knows!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #72
DCX3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCX3er View Post
Warranty solutions but you have to purchase the warranty when you buy the car at an approved dealership, I got mine from Hanna Imports.
Thank you!