BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Misfire codes after 3SI Manifold Swap

Hi All,

Just completed the 3SI manifold swap on my N52 128i. Everything seemed really straight forward on the job, I labeled all connectors, everything "clicked" nicely upon re-install.

I also replaced the eccentric shaft sensor seal and the intake resonator while I was in there.

Note that I have not yet tuned the car (Bimmer Performance Center, etc.), so the ECM doesn't "know" there's a new manifold there yet. I know the tune is required to pick up the big HP bump, but I was under the understanding that the car would drive fine without a tune.

Upon 1st startup, everything ran clean with no issues, no codes. drove slowly around the block, no problems. Took off from a light at 3/4 throttle and got "service engine soon" and a lopey idle. Nursed it back home, turned it off.

When I turned it back on, the "service engine soon" light had gone off, but code reader showed P0301, P0302 and P0300 codes in "pending".

Is there a common connector that I should check first to diagnose this, or do I just need to get the tune installed before driving it again?

I'm hesitant to start taking the cowling and engine cover back off to double check connections in case it's just a software issue.

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      03-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Cleaned some oil off the eccentric shaft sensor connector...seems like it’s good to go now!
Appreciate 2
asbrr543.00
Rmtt8211.00
      03-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
Cleaned some oil off the eccentric shaft sensor connector...seems like it’s good to go now!
Good to hear! I plan to email them my stock ECU tune this week, and be installing the intake and tune next week.

I haven't spoke with them in detail about what all they do. I know they tune for the 3SI....but have you heard of what else their tune may cover.

I assume their optimizing everything they can with it being an off the shelf tune while still keeping things safe, but just wondering what else they may be doing that they share and isn't proprietary.

Things like rev limiter, timing, etc.

I've seen numbers across the board when it comes to dyno comparisons, but haven't seen any typical average gain numbers in hp/tq that we could possibly be looking at.

In excited for both of us!!