BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

gearbox problem

HI guys, my car has done 2200km, with run in service done, however when i drive change from 1st gear to 2nd gear, if i step on the clutch quickly it make some strange sound, but if i apply clutch pedal slowly, its fine.
anyone experience this?

Also i am running PSS with 38,40psi (fullyloaded psi) i feel that the car is very jumpy, shall i lower to stock lowest setting?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

Anyone please?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I don't think the problem you described is related to tire pressures but I also don't get why you keep the pressure that high. Is that cold pressure and for a car with just driver or a single passenger? If so, then it is too high for normal use, stick with 34 front and 32 rear, the jerky ride should ease.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would have your dealer(or indi shop) bleed your hydraulic clutch lines. You might as well have them do the brakes too. Maybe there is some air in the clutch system.

Some 1M's have had bad real crankshaft main seal. Some leak oil, but a lot of them just make a "fluttering" sound on decel revs. ~2,300 rpms to idle. It doesn't sound like this is your issue though. My 135i makes this noise. It doesn't bother me enough to pull the trans and mess with it. I'll replace it when my clutch goes.

As for your tire pressures... I also run very high pressures like what you run. I normally run 2.3 and 2.8 bar(front and rear onj my 135i with 18's). But I do a lot of high speed autobahn driving... so lowering your tire pressure will do wonders for the way your car rides.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

its like some noise when we hit the clutch pedals fast right.. i think i have it to, but i wouldnt see it as a problem since our car is a manual..
i think its normal though..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
As for your tire pressures... I also run very high pressures like what you run. I normally run 2.3 and 2.8 bar(front and rear). But I do a lot of high speed autobahn driving... so lowering your tire pressure will do wonders for the way your car rides.
Here is a picture of the 1M tire pressure sticker:

According to the 1M tire pressure sticker:
  • 2.3 front + 2.2 rear is recommended for 1 person inside the car (summer tires);
  • 2.6 front + 2.8 rear is recommended when loaded (summer tires).
Recently I put 2.6 bar on the front + rear tires for the Summer (fitted my stock Michelin PS2 tires on my BBS CH-R alloys - my stock 1M alloys [359M] have now become my winter alloys). Just me inside the car most drives. I guess 2.6 all round is okay, no ?
      06-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I always drive alone too. But I always set my pressures to MAX load for better high speed feel. Luc, I think I would use 2.6/2.8 bar.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Hofeistos1M
Registered
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

@Artemis
Referring to your picture of tire pressure sticker, have you made another shot that include all the labels and the lock striker in one picture. I have looking all over the Internet for that photo and not found that. I have to know what kind of labels I need to order and where those should be paste.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

The noise could be a bit of diff clunk if you miss-time your gear change. "if i step on the clutch quickly" may mean that you are also coming off the gas too quickly before disengaging the clutch thereby producing some snatch in the driveline, an effect more noticeable in first gear.
Appreciate 0