BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

window gremlin

The driver side window on my 1M is acting up. Sometimes it will go down by itself when I get in and shut the door. Sometimes it will stay all the way up when I open the door (instead of dropping down a smidge and then closing the gap after the door is shut). Other times it will not go up all the way when I activate the switch and makes me keep pulling up on the switch to get it all the way up.

Any advice? If not, I'll settler for pity?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

The window motors are notorious for failure. Magnetic contacts inside the motor wear down and cause all sorts of crazy problems. Mine would bounce back open half way when hitting the one touch auto up. Had the problem for almost two years then had BMW replace the window motor and that fixed the problem.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      01-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
The window motors are notorious for failure. Magnetic contacts inside the motor wear down and cause all sorts of crazy problems. Mine would bounce back open half way when hitting the one touch auto up. Had the problem for almost two years then had BMW replace the window motor and that fixed the problem.

mine bounces on occasion with the one touch feature... Same situation.. auto up it will stop and roll back down after getting halfway up.

I wasn't sure if It was operator error or a switch error. it definitely doesnt happen every time...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

nuts

I had both the window motor and regulator replaced today. The window is still not right. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

You can reset them. Often it fixes the problem.

Sit in the car and press the start button (don't turn engine on, just power the electrical)

Roll the windows down and keep the switch down for at least 5 seconds.

Roll them back up.

Should be fixed. Repeat for passenger side. I had gremlins a few years ago and never had it again after the reset.
FIRSTM143.50
      09-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

What about a new window switch? I had a similar problem in an older BMW where they replaced everything and eventually found it was the switch.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mystery solved. Today I got an obtuse notice of a warranty extension from BMW concerning the Footwell Module. There was no indication in the notice of what that part, what it does or how one would know it needs replacement. When I Googled the term, along with 1M, I learned that the module can be at the root of many electrical problems, including window switch failures. Now they tell me, after I have incurred time, money and angst over my window gremlin. The problem is, of course, not limited to 1Ms. BMW obviously has known about the funky nature of this part for some time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Mystery solved. Today I got an obtuse notice of a warranty extension from BMW concerning the Footwell Module. There was no indication in the notice of what that part, what it does or how one would know it needs replacement. When I Googled the term, along with 1M, I learned that the module can be at the root of many electrical problems, including window switch failures. Now they tell me, after I have incurred time, money and angst over my window gremlin. The problem is, of course, not limited to 1Ms. BMW obviously has known about the funky nature of this part for some time.
So, are you having this service done? I guess it's not a recall but just a warranty extension.

Let us know if your planning on taking it into the dealership for that and if it solved your issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Is it possible to post the notice for our info? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Is it possible to post the notice for our info? Thx.
Take a look here -
https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...7&d=1485957308
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      11-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
You can reset them. Often it fixes the problem.

Sit in the car and press the start button (don't turn engine on, just power the electrical)

Roll the windows down and keep the switch down for at least 5 seconds.

Roll them back up.

Should be fixed. Repeat for passenger side. I had gremlins a few years ago and never had it again after the reset.
mine does do it once in a blue moon, auto goes down when I try to bring it up.

will try reset with your suggestion, thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Window gremlin redux

Problem not solved. When I contacted the dealer I was told the reason for the warranty extension on the footwell module was that it was burning out when the car was in for repairs that called for dumbing down the computer system and then booting it back up. On reboot was when the module shot craps, thus the warranty extension. Sounded convincing, but does anyone have any information contra to this? The window problem is getting progressively worse. I'm probably going to be selling my 1M before long and would like to get this problem resolved before listing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

When the FRM shits the bed, you will completely loose power windows, permanently. See it often. Usually happens when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I took my 1M to Baron BMW to see if they could fix it. They assured me their computer guy was a wizard who could find and fix the problem. When I picked it up the wizard said, on the repair order, "There is a software error in the FRM. I updated the complete vehicle software and reinitialized the window motors." It was after hours when I picked the car up. The very first time I lowered the window it would not go back up with a blip of the switch, but on the way home it went up and down just fine. The nextday, when I parked it and walked away, I turned around and noticed the window going down, uninvited. Later in the day, upon stopping and opening the door to get out, the window dropped an inch, went down all the way when I shut the door and then would only go up if I held the switch in the up position. The next day saw two more similar failures. So I took it back to the dealer. The service adviser said it the FRM was the problem, but BMW, despite the warranty extension on the FRM, would not replace it for free unless it failed totally. The dealer wanted $900+ to replace it. When I balked, the dealer said it would try to get BMW to approve a "goodwill repair" and, if unsuccessful, would refund the $364 it charged me for its repair attempt. BMW blew me off, so the dealer called today to say the money would be refunded. Although I sued countless car dealers and manufacturers over my 45 year career as a consumer protection attorney, including several class actions, I'm not particularly interested litigation as a retirement hobby. But, frustration has its limits. With electronic filing it would be a simple matter to file a lawsuit against BMW over this. I have bought my last BMW. P.S. The 5 Series loaner they gave me to drive was nothing more than a Teutonic Crown Vic. I have driven few cars as boring.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #15
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
I took my 1M to Baron BMW to see if they could fix it. They assured me their computer guy was a wizard who could find and fix the problem. When I picked it up the wizard said, on the repair order, "There is a software error in the FRM. I updated the complete vehicle software and reinitialized the window motors." It was after hours when I picked the car up. The very first time I lowered the window it would not go back up with a blip of the switch, but on the way home it went up and down just fine. The nextday, when I parked it and walked away, I turned around and noticed the window going down, uninvited. Later in the day, upon stopping and opening the door to get out, the window dropped an inch, went down all the way when I shut the door and then would only go up if I held the switch in the up position. The next day saw two more similar failures. So I took it back to the dealer. The service adviser said it the FRM was the problem, but BMW, despite the warranty extension on the FRM, would not replace it for free unless it failed totally. The dealer wanted $900+ to replace it. When I balked, the dealer said it would try to get BMW to approve a "goodwill repair" and, if unsuccessful, would refund the $364 it charged me for its repair attempt. BMW blew me off, so the dealer called today to say the money would be refunded. Although I sued countless car dealers and manufacturers over my 45 year career as a consumer protection attorney, including several class actions, I'm not particularly interested litigation as a retirement hobby. But, frustration has its limits. With electronic filing it would be a simple matter to file a lawsuit against BMW over this. I have bought my last BMW. P.S. The 5 Series loaner they gave me to drive was nothing more than a Teutonic Crown Vic. I have driven few cars as boring.
So, your getting your money back. However, what do you do now to repair the window?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #16
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I took it to Kansas City Autosport, where I have gone over the years. They were the folks who rebuilt the engine in my '97 M3 several years ago (blueprinted, custom ground cams, racing pistons, headers, etc.) Tyler, the son of the original owner has now taken his dad's place. He is a personable and knowledgeable guy. When I dropped it off, I commented that it didn't seem to be a computer problem, as the other window worked fine. He called me back in an hour to say he had fixed the problem, after operating the window as he opened and closed the door. It was a broken wire within the rubber boot through which the wiring runs from the door frame into the door. No charge for the fix. Now I can proceed to sell the car, a bittersweet proposition, at best. But we are selling our house and moving to a condo, so it has to go. I have never gotten more enjoyment out of any car I have owned in my 71+ years on the planet. I feel fortunate for having it dumped into my lap 9 years and 56,000 miles ago. I am so glad I resisted the urge just let it set in the garage, a lonely queen.
Appreciate 5
Tornado1M1201.50
ayao627.50
JBT234.50
///BYU268.50
      07-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #17
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
mine does do it once in a blue moon, auto goes down when I try to bring it up.

will try reset with your suggestion, thank you
My driver side has the same issue. I find that it only happens during hot summer months mostly daytime when the car is really warm or hot. The window goes down on auto up half way only when the car is stopped and idling. It doesn't do that when the car is moving.
Appreciate 0