BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #23
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black bmw 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
Awesome, I am looking forward to seeing the results are you in OC or LA. I have often thought about doing this to my N51 but am leaning more towards running a wet 75 or 100 shot of nitrous instead. Both are risky as hell but you can get a used N51 for under 1k nowadays so I think it's worth it even if your engine grenades lol. My car is fun as hell in the twisties with the upgraded suspension but feels a tad bit slow in the straights, it just needs a little more power to do what I want.
I'm from Central California! Bakersfield CA to be exact lol. I was going to go with nitrous originally had ordered a nitrous express kit from jeggs but I ended up returning it and going this route since I don't ever had to refill a bottle. But seeing a N51 on spray would be cool! Haven't seen it done.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #24
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadowspy View Post
*Update
Just got off the phone with Bob at Stage FP so remote tuning is definitely possible. So turbo build is going full steam ahead! He also said he's planning on building a turbo kit soon straight from them so if any of you guys are interested in a kit rather then piecing things together their should be a option soon!
drove down there myself from NYC, such great guys. did my 3IM and MILVs with their dyno tune last summer. can't wait to see what this brings
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #25
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Definitely following this thread. I've done a lot of work to my N51, but would love to have N54/N55 power without having to swap cars. Best of luck, hope this goes well!
Thank you man! Same as well my N51 is currently full bolt ons.
MILVs too?
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #26
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
MILVs too?
Not milvs man didn't see the worth in my opinion to Shell out the cash for 10hp. But other then that currently the cars N/A setup is AA catless headers secondary cat deletes reasonstor delete vibrant muffler k&n drop in filter with charcoal filter delete the 3 stage intake manifold and the car was on a AA custom tuned E85 map. It shot massive flames!

Last edited by xshadowspy; 04-19-2020 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #27
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
MILVs too?
Not milvs man didn't see the worth in my opinion to Shell out the cash for 10hp. But other then that currently the cars N/A setup is AA catless headers secondary cat deletes reasonstor delete vibrant muffler k&n drop in filter with charcoal filter delete the 3 stage intake manifold and the car was on a AA custom tuned E85 map. It shot massive flames!
Woahhh what was the process like for e85??
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #28
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcossE82 View Post
Nothing big really our cars can handle kinda a big mix of E85. I was running E40ish e45 I'd fill up with 6 gallons of e85 and top off the rest with 91 car always ran great no issues. I now have bought Bosch injectors to able to run full e85 for the turbo setup also could use them on my current N/A setup just been lazy to install lol. I'll share the link for the injectors if anyone's interested in going full e85 these were recommended to me by bob at stage fp.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35459...-set-of-6.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #29
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Update*
Parts I have in so far:
Got my go fast bits gen 3 boost controller
Bosch 56lb injectors
eBay wastegate
Arm Motorsports 135i intercooler
Boost labs 5855 dual ball bearing turbo
Oil lines and fittings
Precision raceworks custom made N52 stage 2 fuel pump
Bimmerworld oil distribution block

Things still needed:
Turbo manifold still waiting to be built there's a f80 m3 customer ahead of doing a single turbo conversion so that's why it's been taking so long for my manifold to be built but seems it's almost finished so mine should be worked on next hopefully end of this month or early next month I have it in my hands but then who knows with Corona virus going on.

Intercooler piping I'm still locating a shop to fabricate me some intercooler piping.

Other then that's all that I'm missing maybe a few other miscellaneous things like v bands but the build is almost ready to get put together.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 10:28 PM   #30
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

You’re gathering some good stuff there for your build. If I may make a suggestion, I would want a much better IC then the stock 135i one for as much power you’re expecting. The stock unit can’t keep up with moderately boosted 54/55’s.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #31
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing big really our cars can handle kinda a big mix of E85. I was running E40ish e45 I'd fill up with 6 gallons of e85 and top off the rest with 91 car always ran great no issues. I now have bought Bosch injectors to able to run full e85 for the turbo setup also could use them on my current N/A setup just been lazy to install lol. I'll share the link for the injectors if anyone's interested in going full e85 these were recommended to me by bob at stage fp.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35459208-genuine-bosch-ev1-56lb-590cc-long-nozzle-6-hole-fuel-injector-0280158123-set-of-6.html
And that was after a tune correct? I have to many friends with e85 influencing me to get it 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #32
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
You’re gathering some good stuff there for your build. If I may make a suggestion, I would want a much better IC then the stock 135i one for as much power you’re expecting. The stock unit can’t keep up with moderately boosted 54/55’s.
Thanks man! And this one actually isn't a stock one it's a 5inch intercooler aftermarket upgrade for the 135i's!
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      04-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #33
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And that was after a tune correct? I have to many friends with e85 influencing me to get it 😂
If you wanted to run that mix on stock tune I'm sure you could would probably give a little kick in power! But tune would show you best results! And for running a full tank of E85 injectors and tune!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:38 AM   #34
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
So your skipping out on a modification that allows measurably more airflow that’s already a bottleneck in NA for your forced induction retrofit...?

10HP on an NA engine is a significant gain, imagine what difference that makes when you’re making the air even more dense.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
AmuroRay2165.00
      04-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #35
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
So your skipping out on a modification that allows measurably more airflow that’s already a bottleneck in NA for your forced induction retrofit...?

10HP on an NA engine is a significant gain, imagine what difference that makes when you’re making the air even more dense.
Yes I am lol I can the appeal of the mod but for me I'd rather port my manifold and throttle body for more airflow which I originally planning on doing for my N/A setup but not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #36
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Yes I am lol I can the appeal of the mod but for me I'd rather port my manifold and throttle body for more airflow which I originally planning on doing for my N/A setup but not anymore.
I think you're missing the point here....

If additional valve throw through MILVS is BENEFICIAL, it means its a bottleneck. All the porting of a manifold and throttle body in the world won't make much of a difference if your bottleneck is literally the flow through the intake valves in the head. In fact, if its too restrictive when you increase the MAP, it could cause some wonky turbulence or something but I'm just speculating there.

I think its truly asinine to spend all the time and effort on a turbo retrofit when doing MILVS is an afternoon job.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
AmuroRay2165.00
      04-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #37
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Question about the fuel pump - isn't the fuel pump integrated into the fuel tank on N51 SULEV cars?

Are you sourcing another tank, or modifying?
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      04-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #38
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I think you're missing the point here....

If additional valve throw through MILVS is BENEFICIAL, it means its a bottleneck. All the porting of a manifold and throttle body in the world won't make much of a difference if your bottleneck is literally the flow through the intake valves in the head. In fact, if its too restrictive when you increase the MAP, it could cause some wonky turbulence or something but I'm just speculating there.

I think its truly asinine to spend all the time and effort on a turbo retrofit when doing MILVS is an afternoon job.
Plus Marty had some dynos showing some substantial gains on N54's while running less boost (~2psi) than they typically see if I'm not mistaken.

At least 2X the gains of a NA engine.
      04-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #39
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Plus Marty had some dynos showing some substantial gains on N54's while running less boost (~2psi) than they typically see if I'm not mistaken.

At least 2X the gains of a NA engine.
Well I'll give it a try with before and after dynos after the turbo setup is complete and see what the milvs do. I'll also shoot Bob a email and see what his thoughts are.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #40
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Question about the fuel pump - isn't the fuel pump integrated into the fuel tank on N51 SULEV cars?

Are you sourcing another tank, or modifying?
From what I've seen if you lift the rear seat ups you should be able to access the pump from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #41
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I'll give it a try with before and after dynos after the turbo setup is complete and see what the milvs do. I'll also shoot Bob a email and see what his thoughts are.
I think it's worth investigating. Marty was working with Bob anyway on tuning the Milvs for the N54's....and they were showing some nice gains on lower psi numbers.

If I could make the same power at less boost...I would definitely go for it.
      04-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #42
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's worth investigating. Marty was working with Bob anyway on tuning the Milvs for the N54's....and they were showing some nice gains on lower psi numbers.

I think you mean N55, the N54 does not have variable valve lift.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #43
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I think you mean N55, the N54 does not have variable valve lift.
Yeah....my bad. Most of the stuff I was reading was in the "3" series board and I haven't been over there in awhile.

Still a worthwhile mod in my opinion!
      05-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #44
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Definitely worth looking into.. Bob's the one who did my MILVs!!!!

Result was near immediate and the effects are felt in the higher end of the range.. the look on the faces on some drivers when they see it's a 128i is priceless. It isn't that expensive of a job compared to other things here.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00