BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
doodoax
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

DIY adding center console cup holder (iDrive version)

Hello, I own a 2011 128i convertible without iDrive and I have the two cup holders below the gear shift lever with one of them being completely useless because the armrest sits right over it.

I am trying to retrofit this cup holder into the center console. My questions are:
1- Is this possible to do without buying an entirely new center console piece?
2- If so, is there any drilling or cutting required?
3- Does it require the entire console to come out or just the gear shifter and the trim around it?

I've attached pictures of the cup holder I want to install and my center console that include where the cup holder should fit. Hopefully this is doable without too much hassle...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

I’ve done exactly this. It’s a wonderful addition and really makes the interior usable.

1. Yes, fully doable with the center console you have.
2 + 3. It requires full console removal and cutting of the console but it’s not nearly as scary as it sounds. The console takes a few 10mm and T25 bolts. I can have the console fully out of the car in 15min including getting the tools out. The kit came with a template that I traced on with sharpie and then drilled holes to make cutting out the profile easier. It looks like crap until the trim piece goes in but it looks perfect after that.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
doodoax
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I’ve done exactly this. It’s a wonderful addition and really makes the interior usable.

1. Yes, fully doable with the center console you have.
2 + 3. It requires full console removal and cutting of the console but it’s not nearly as scary as it sounds. The console takes a few 10mm and T25 bolts. I can have the console fully out of the car in 15min including getting the tools out. The kit came with a template that I traced on with sharpie and then drilled holes to make cutting out the profile easier. It looks like crap until the trim piece goes in but it looks perfect after that.

You were absolutely right! This was a fun and great addition... finally have a decent cup holder to use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Looks neat!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
mickmarshall
Rep
Drives: 2010 E87 120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoax View Post
You were absolutely right! This was a fun and great addition... finally have a decent cup holder to use.
Did you really have to remove the whole center console? Is removing the silver triangle gear stick surround and gater not enough thanks?
Appreciate 0