Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Morgan View Post
Dear Dackel:

I come across this post again as I have been talking again with my dealer because I want things to straight up.
They are using on the M3 the Castrol 10w-60. I was reading about it and realize that it is labeled as an oil that has exclusive approval for BMW M models. The local service manager answered me that they don't use this oil on the 1M as it comes with an N lettered engine and not an S one.
Are they correct? I mean, I know my car has the N54 engine, but Should I use this same oil?
Should I order the Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4?
On the fuels aspect, I don't really know about the sulfur they contain, but anyway I change the Oils very frequently (< 5000kms).

Thanks in advance.

Your dealer gave you correct info on the oil to use. DO NOT use the TWS 10w60 Castrol oil that other M models use/need. Your 1M should use the BMW full synthetic oil that is used in the N54 and N55 models. Your dealer was correct is telling you that your car requires engine oil for a "N" motor and not a "S" engine designation for the TWS M oil.

As long as you use a oil that carries BMW Long Life One (LL-1) approval - you should be fine. I use Castrol RS Edge 0w40 oil in my N54 - I actually find the engine runs cooler with this Castrol oil as compared to Mobil-1's 0w40 LL1 oil.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #222
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
providence, when I search that P/N I get no results found.

I have yet to find a P/N for the non-FM diff fluid for individual use (1 or .5 liter containers).

Anyone have any luck?

I would try ordering the Castrol SAF-XJ (without FM) from a good import autoparts store or even just look in your local yellow pages for your nearest Castrol oil supplier. Over here n Germany you can find this diff oil everywhere. Even the grocery stors sell it! lol No joke! Maybe the bar code UPC number(in the last photo bellow) might help you order this oil. ?

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #223
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Interesting Thread

And yet a very scary thread. I will say, that I have always had my BMWs serviced at Patrick. While I won't purchase a car from them, their service department is top notch and I agree with the post below 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Congrats and kudos to Patrick BMW and head service pro Brad for researching and finding out that we are all correct in believing that my 1M deserves LT-5. I am going to pay to have them replace what Motorwerks put in (LT-2) but write a blistering letter to BMW NA and my dealership at all levels.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #224
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Does anyone know bmws source for engine oil? Castrol? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #225
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Finally my first service also arrived and after a meeting with the service manager 2 weeks ago, checking the oils together, mailing them in detail later and re-confirming 2 days before the service plus leaving a few copies of what is right and what is wrong with the car including photos of right oil bottles, they just managed to put the engine oil 10W 60!

I noticed while checking the paperwork, warned them, they said must be a typo, I said please ask the technician and result: yes we have a problem; draining the oil, putting the right one and receiving apologies, loosing time etc.

I think if there was anything left in me as a last drop of faith in human race it just disappeared today. I am certain that basically we are a useless and irrelevant species.

Other victims who had this bad joke before, can you please suggest how long or how many kms/miles shall I wait before repeating the same procedure of flushing the oil and putting the new one, again?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #226
Plautos
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Relax...

Since the first oil change at 3500km, the engine is running with 10w60 and until now, after 2 changes and near 10000km of rock´n´roll, the engine did not exploded... yet.
I also was unable to change the oil from the gear box and diff, because the refinery probably located in Mars is not sending the oil to Brazil.

I think there is no problem to use the 10w60… just wait a little longer to the engine warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Finally my first service also arrived and after a meeting with the service manager 2 weeks ago, checking the oils together, mailing them in detail later and re-confirming 2 days before the service plus leaving a few copies of what is right and what is wrong with the car including photos of right oil bottles, they just managed to put the engine oil 10W 60!

I noticed while checking the paperwork, warned them, they said must be a typo, I said please ask the technician and result: yes we have a problem; draining the oil, putting the right one and receiving apologies, loosing time etc.

I think if there was anything left in me as a last drop of faith in human race it just disappeared today. I am certain that basically we are a useless and irrelevant species.

Other victims who had this bad joke before, can you please suggest how long or how many kms/miles shall I wait before repeating the same procedure of flushing the oil and putting the new one, again?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #227
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plautos View Post
Relax...

Since the first oil change at 3500km, the engine is running with 10w60 and until now, after 2 changes and near 10000km of rock´n´roll, the engine did not exploded... yet.
I also was unable to change the oil from the gear box and diff, because the refinery probably located in Mars is not sending the oil to Brazil.

I think there is no problem to use the 10w60… just wait a little longer to the engine warm up.
I am OK just feeling sorry for all the time and effort I have wasted for trying to prevent this for such a simple service and was treated all the way like a uber paranoid customer, then happens no matter what. Leaving bad taste in the mouth man, everytime I pass from this BMW something bizarre or lame is happening but of course I am not letting this ruin my feelings toward the car, it is not the car's fault or mine, it is some useless people that this industry keep on hiring and letting ruin their otherwise fine products and/or image.

As I said, the car is already with the correct oil and never been on the road with 10W 60, and after a 100 kms or so I will go there and have the second filling to make it real clean. But really, how do you track intensively with the factory filled transmission and differential oil for 10,000 kms, in addition to a 10W 60 engine oil? I remember now some similar lame performance from my years in Brazil when I had the 330i, they keep on wasting your time etc. We need to be real brave and passionate to buy and keep a car like this in Latin America (hope someone from BMW reading). Hey BMW dudes, it is not just selling the cars, remember! We buy it DESPITE the aftersales experiences you provide but for how long!?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #228
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Patrick Serice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
And yet a very scary thread. I will say, that I have always had my BMWs serviced at Patrick. While I won't purchase a car from them, their service department is top notch and I agree with the post below 100%.
BTW, Patrick not only changed to correct motor oil, they told me "on them if they couldn't get BMW to pay"--they seemed confident that BMW would pick up the tab.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #229
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plautos View Post
Relax...

Perhaps, perhaps not. But the engineers at BMW would not have spec'd the N54/N55 full synthetic LL-1 oil for the 1M if there was an advantage to using TWS 10w60 (M3) motor oil.

Don't you think the bmw engineers know better than the tech (or SA)working on your car?

The correct oil for the 1M is bmw full synthtic LL-1 motor oil. Not TWS!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #230
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Just had initial service

Just had my 1200 mile service at 1440 miles and I brought my USA service bulletin specifying that all three needed changing. Also brought my own oil, filter, magnetic drain plug and tranny fluid, the only thing I didn't bring was diff oil. I had them capture a sample of engine oil for analysis at Blackstone...I'll post results after getting the readout.

Total service charge was 132€ for a German "M" dealer which I was really happy for. All in all a relatively painless event.
      03-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #231
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

No go with BMW Toronto. Was told that gearbox was going to get changed when I made the appt and when I came in but service sheet showed no gearbox changes. When I asked about it they referred me to the service bulletin that said the manual trans oil didn't need to be changed. He did tell me I could get it done for ~250 though. Anyone think this is worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #232
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazin View Post
No go with BMW Toronto. Was told that gearbox was going to get changed when I made the appt and when I came in but service sheet showed no gearbox changes. When I asked about it they referred me to the service bulletin that said the manual trans oil didn't need to be changed. He did tell me I could get it done for ~250 though. Anyone think this is worth it?
It is not a small amount of money but only NA doesn't include the trans oil change as a part of the first service for reasons that are not technical. Even in some other markets like here in Chile which also has a free service included during the warranty period they follow BMW A.G. example and change it. And the gear box functions smoother afterwards, it is noticeable. I think if you feel like you are going to keep your car for some time and it is not just a one year toy then you should consider changing it. Probably it will be cheaper if you buy the oil and change it yourself in a place other than a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #233
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
It is not a small amount of money but only NA doesn't include the trans oil change as a part of the first service for reasons that are not technical. Even in some other markets like here in Chile which also has a free service included during the warranty period they follow BMW A.G. example and change it. And the gear box functions smoother afterwards, it is noticeable. I think if you feel like you are going to keep your car for some time and it is not just a one year toy then you should consider changing it. Probably it will be cheaper if you buy the oil and change it yourself in a place other than a BMW dealer.

+1. Fresh oil is good oil. It is a difference you can feel with new trans oil in your manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #234
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

I'd probably get it changed at the dealership just for the sake of warranty and having documentation if I ever need it.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll probably get it put in soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #235
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1. Fresh oil is good oil. It is a difference you can feel with new trans oil in your manual gearbox.
Dackel, remember my post from a week or two ago? That they screwed the engine oil? Today, it was a bit over 100 kms. after that episode and I changed the oil second time to keep the engine as clean as possible. I did it in a regular gas station, paid just the oil cost (around 150 Dollars for 6 liters of Made in US Mobil 1 0W 40 LL-1, didn't go as far as changing the already new filter and the reserve's 0.5 liter oil) and I saw the bottles, monitored the procedure, such infinitely better sentiment than passing from the dealer! And I don't know if it is just the regular psychology but I also felt that the car is really smoother right after. If I am not making it up because of my total lack of confidence to BMW services here, I am thinking maybe they did something still wrong that day after I noticed the wrong oil and made them change it with the right one, who knows.

It is such a waste throwing out 6 liters of oil that is used just for 100 kms. but at the end I am happy I didn't go with the "free of charge" dealer service once again. Obviously, nothing is free of charge at the end if you want things straight.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #236
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

^^Yes, I remember. Glad to hear your 1M is doing fine. Fresh oil is really the best oil. I don't buy into BMW's no service lifetime fluids. Now that reminds me... my car is due for an oil change - and - I gonna change it myself, like I always do!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #237
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

I just had my 1200 service and I wanted to ask..... are the majority of people electing to pay for the transmission flush in the USA even though the service bulletin doesn't specify it? I'm considering doing the flush because I plan to keep the car forever.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #238
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I paid. It seemed peculiar that it was recommended for the rest of the world but not NA, and had the feel of cost-cutting in the context of the Free Maintenance moniker.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #239
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

I think I'm going too also, I'm going to have to make a special trip, but it doesn't cost that much they said $150 or so and that's my reasoning also, if every other country is covering and recommending this as a regular part of the maintenance then why would the USA be any different. Same car.... better stick shift drivers in the USA so no need to get the transmission fluid changed.... I duh know...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #240
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
I think I'm going too also, I'm going to have to make a special trip, but it doesn't cost that much they said $150 or so and that's my reasoning also, if every other country is covering and recommending this as a regular part of the maintenance then why would the USA be any different. Same car.... better stick shift drivers in the USA so no need to get the transmission fluid changed.... I duh know...
Its a good idea to change the trans fluid. Especially since you will keep your car "forever".
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #241
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Patrick BMW

So I finally had my 1,200 mile service done at Patrick. Just like the others who had their cars done there, all perfect (heck, I think they even road tested the car JUST to make sure everything was in order )
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #242
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just had the 1200 mile service as well. I brought my own transmission lubrication and said I'd pay to have it changed. When the work was completed the SA came out and said the BMW instructions indicated changing the transmission fluid was part of the service and it was done at no charge (with my fluids because they didn't have any in stock).
Appreciate 0