BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I'm running the Pro version of those harnesses with a sub-belt attached to a heavy structural member beneath the stock seat and coming up behind the front portion of the seat that can be adjusted for additional thigh support.

Neil
sounds interesting, how did you solve passing through the leather slab that connects the seat with the thigh support? Can u pls post pics?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #24
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
sounds interesting, how did you solve passing through the leather slab that connects the seat with the thigh support? Can u pls post pics?
Had to cut a hole in the sheet metal "pan" under the seat and then made a 3" slit in the leather flap between the seat cushions the extends/folds when you extend/retract the thigh support.

The slit is only visible when the thigh cushion is extended.

Pretty easy job to do when the seat is out of the car.

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 02-12-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #25
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

I spoke to Bruce at BRR last week and they sure are still making those direct bolt in bar systems! I'm looking at one to use in 135 and 1M.
      02-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957
I spoke to Bruce at BRR last week and they sure are still making those direct bolt in bar systems! I'm looking at one to use in 135 and 1M.
Really? I will call him today. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #27
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
No one is considering the VAC bar? The vac is more expensive than the BR bar but it looks to be stronger better design.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #28
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
No one is considering the VAC bar? The vac is more expensive than the BR bar but it looks to be stronger better design.
I was/am. I really didn't want to lose the rear space as that is how I transport my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #29
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
I thought they stopped making them but I just checked my emails and he actually told me they no longer sold the rear strut bar independently. Only the whole harness bar system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Vac one looks good, looks like it would be impossible to ship though.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #30
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Had to cut a hole in the sheet metal "pan" under the seat and then made a 3" slit in the leather flap between the seat cushions the extends/folds when you extend/retract the thigh support.

The slit is only visible when the thigh cushion is extended.

Pretty easy job to do when the seat is out of the car.

Neil
Awesome that you pioneered for the stock seats to support 5/6 point Schroth Quick Pro harness that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #31
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I think there is SPARCO options also and not to expensive
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #32
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

Well, I took the plunge and bought the Walmart bar (Cipher). Should be interesting. I'll probably get it by this weekend.

I don't track the car or anything like that. Just want the setup to look somewhat decent. Also, one of the shops who was helping me out (when I was buying my seats), mentioned that running a 4-point harness straight to the back seat (without a cage or bar) is not good for your back in case of impact.

Anyways, If it all works out looks half decent I'll post some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I saw some SPARCO bars and called them up. They don't have one for the 1er.

Last edited by TUN3D; 03-03-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #33
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUN3D
Well, I took the plunge and bought the Walmart bar (Cipher). Should be interesting. I probably get it by this weekend.

I don't track the car or anything like that. Just want the setup to look somewhat decent. Also, one of the shops who was helping me out (when I was buying my seats), mentioned that running a 4-point harness straight to the back seat (without a cage or bar) is not good for your back in case of impact.

Anyways, If it all works out looks half decent I'll post some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I saw some SPARCO bars and called them up. They don't have one for the 1er.
Interesting to see how this plays out. Post pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #34
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

What about in an unfortunate scenario of a crash. Is the harness bar going to prevent you from being thrown in an impact or in case of a flip allow you to collapse with the seat so that you dont get crushed by the roof.

I'm surprised that a lot of products are out there to keep you held in your seat yet fail to save your life in an accident.

Ppl have died on impact due to submarining and on a flip locked in to their seat with no roll cage. All in the name of "i want to stop using my legs to hold myself in the seat during cornering".
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #35
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
What about in an unfortunate scenario of a crash. Is the harness bar going to prevent you from being thrown in an impact or in case of a flip allow you to collapse with the seat so that you dont get crushed by the roof.

I'm surprised that a lot of products are out there to keep you held in your seat yet fail to save your life in an accident.

Ppl have died on impact due to submarining and on a flip locked in to their seat with no roll cage. All in the name of "i want to stop using my legs to hold myself in the seat during cornering".
Agree that this is serious business and decisions should only be made after careful study and consideration.

I've gone with a 5-pt Schroth ProFit harness which has proven asm (anti-submarining mechanism). FWIW, I also decided that a front end collision -- where my HANS device would offer significant additional protection -- is far more likely than a rollover in which the roof gets crushed.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #36
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

Agree that this is serious business and decisions should only be made after careful study and consideration.

I've gone with a 5-pt Schroth ProFit harness which has proven asm (anti-submarining mechanism). FWIW, I also decided that a front end collision -- where my HANS device would offer significant additional protection -- is far more likely than a rollover in which the roof gets crushed.

Neil
There was a guy in a mini coop at the local track. 5 point harness and recaros with Hans. He didnt think his car would roll but it did and he died. It sucks and it could happen of you are really pushing it. But some odd dip on an off or strange angle and you are rolling unexpectedly.

5 point is good and should be min and Hans is great too. In my car im still stock seats (sedan m3 yes old man car i know) but will be getting half cage before seats (or at the same time).

In the end, my life is far worth more than the extra couple grand it would cost. Or no cost at all.

Life > planted in seat.

I just put it out there because many dont think about this and are anxious to get better seats.

Think: a car is built to crush with its seats and seatbelt collapsing. You put a seat that doesnt collapse (built for cars with roll protection) and a harness that keeps you in the seat so you dont get thrown around in a roll but without the roll protection. That is instant death. I cant even stand a minor backache. This will snap your neck and back in many places. Safety is number1 guys!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #37
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

For those new to these issues, pretty good discussion about safety systems and the trade-offs starting in this thread at post #15.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832843

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #38
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
I am thinking about selling my BRR bar.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #39
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
I am thinking about selling my BRR bar.
Sent a pm.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
TUN3D
Major
Rep

Alright, so here is the update -- Let me preface by saying that I agree with all of you in regards to safety. It all boils down to how you're driving the car (DD, track, etc.). In my case, I DO NOT track the vehicle at all. If I do decide to track it in the future, it will be strictly 1/4 mile runs. AT that point, I will revisit the safety system again.

For now, my goal is to properly install Sparco seats with a 4-point harness -- replacing stock seats and the stock seat-belt system.

Anyways, without further ado -- So I got the Cipher 48" harness bar and gave it a go this past weekend. The length of the bar bolts perfectly to the pillars, fitment is very good. What doesn't work AT ALL are the two vertical arms that are supposed to be bolted onto the chassis. I tried several ways and forget it.

The next step is custom welding. I'm going to take it to a buddy of mine who specializes in this type of stuff (roll-cages etc.) to build some custom brackets. That's the only way this will work. So far I'm about $130 into the process.
      03-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #41
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUN3D View Post
Alright, so here is the update -- Let me preface by saying that I agree with all of you in regards to safety. It all boils down to how you're driving the car (DD, track, etc.). In my case, I DO NOT track the vehicle at all. If I do decide to track it in the future, it will be strictly 1/4 mile runs. AT that point, I will revisit the safety system again.

For now, my goal is to properly install Sparco seats with a 4-point harness -- replacing stock seats and the stock seat-belt system.

Anyways, without further ado -- So I got the Cipher 48" harness bar and gave it a go this past weekend. The length of the bar bolts perfectly to the pillars, fitment is very good. What doesn't work AT ALL are the two vertical arms that are supposed to be bolted onto the chassis. I tried several ways and forget it.

The next step is custom welding. I'm going to take it to a buddy of mine who specializes in this type of stuff (roll-cages etc.) to build some custom brackets. That's the only way this will work. So far I'm about $130 into the process.
Unless your 4-pt harnesses are Schroth's with their patented anti-submarining mechanism (asm), you'll be far safer using the stock 3-pts. due to the dangers of internal injury from submarining.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #42
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Update, I ordered a BRR harness bar for use with Sparco seat and 6 pts harness. While it's NOT a rill bar/cage, it will add more support to the car in case of a roll over and since most track and road accidents are collisions and do not involve roll over, I'd rather be solidly planted in the seat and have a HANS device. I'm betting that the combination is the best thing you can get next to a full cage.
      04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #43
TUN3D
Major
Rep

Update > Finally got the harness bar completed. Just ordered some LV4's to properly wrap the harness to the bar. Next up, I'm looking at a Schroth anti-sub harness.

04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #44
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Since you're not getting the benefit of a half-cage, did you consider foregoing a harness bar and going with Schroth Quick-Fit Pro harnesses as an alternative?

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...ck-fit-pro-bmw

Neil
Appreciate 0