BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #23
jcattletown
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 E70

Hello, bNks334, I have a question for you. In the following paragraph, you said that ECU will determine the voltage of charging needed based on the information from IBS. For a new battery, the IBS should be able to sense the high voltage so the ECU will reduce the charging voltage accordingly. If it works this way, is registering a new battery needed? Just my thought. Also, the link you provided to download BMWtool, https://spool [Delete this] stre...uide-setup.13/, is not working. Could you clarify that? Thanks a bunch.

"The long answer: "The negative battery cable has an electronic control unit on the battery end of it called an intelligent battery sensor (IBS). The IBS measures the state of battery charge and sends this information to the ECU. The ECU uses this information to control how much charging voltage is needed from the alternator to support vehicle electricity needs. A battery deteriorates normally over time and depending upon service demands and driving profile. The IBS reads this and the ECU tells the charging system to increase voltage and amperage output incrementally as the battery matures. Therefore, at battery replacement time, if you don't tell the ECU it has a new battery it will overcharge the new battery causing it to wear out faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #24
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
hey bNks334, I've got a 2011 N55 with the MEVD172 DME. I do not see any options to register the battery under any of the .prg files listed above. Am I looking in the wrong place?
I didn't list any .prg files? I can't really help you sounds like you have tool32 setup incorrectly or you are not selecting the correct .prg?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #25
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcattletown View Post
Hello, bNks334, I have a question for you. In the following paragraph, you said that ECU will determine the voltage of charging needed based on the information from IBS. For a new battery, the IBS should be able to sense the high voltage so the ECU will reduce the charging voltage accordingly. If it works this way, is registering a new battery needed? Just my thought. Also, the link you provided to download BMWtool, https://spool [Delete this] stre...uide-setup.13/, is not working. Could you clarify that? Thanks a bunch.

"The long answer: "The negative battery cable has an electronic control unit on the battery end of it called an intelligent battery sensor (IBS). The IBS measures the state of battery charge and sends this information to the ECU. The ECU uses this information to control how much charging voltage is needed from the alternator to support vehicle electricity needs. A battery deteriorates normally over time and depending upon service demands and driving profile. The IBS reads this and the ECU tells the charging system to increase voltage and amperage output incrementally as the battery matures. Therefore, at battery replacement time, if you don't tell the ECU it has a new battery it will overcharge the new battery causing it to wear out faster.
A lot of the guide is paraphrased from various sources.

The fact of the matter is that there is a charging algorithm that varies alternator output based on the calculated age and charging state of your battery. Registering a new battery resets this algorithm and the "age" calculation. If you don't re-register the new battery the dme will base the charging profile off the age of your old battery...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #26
Poptarts
Private
Rep
Drives: responsibly

Hi bNks334, first thank you SO MUCH for this great tutorial! Really helped me.

I have a 2011 135i 6MT US (prod date 6/10) and just replaced my battery.
Stock was 80Ah.
Put in a 90Ah size 48 (big) from Advanced Auto Parts (~$120 after rebate)

Last week I followed your Option 4:
- CNCcoding profile
- used .MAN to code CAS with new battery
- stopped at step 17) because I was afraid of doing "Process car"

Then I realized I want to actually update the VO because my car is still under extended warranty and if I bring it to the dealer I don't want them to wipe out my battery setting.

I haven't used the car since this last coding.
Yesterday I followed Option 5 with slight differences:
- loaded Expert Mode profile (trace manipulation disabled)
- chassis E89 > read CAS
- changed FA -B080 to -B090
- FA_WRITE > CAS
- FA_WRITE > NFRM

Then I didn't want to process the whole car since I saw some people got problems with that.

So I did:
- SG_CODIEREN > CAS
- SG_CODIEREN > NFRM

Everything went well with no error, and I could see some stuff happening on the dash or headlights when resetting the modules.

Then I went to:
INPA > E87 > Engine > MSV 80.0 (if I recall correctly)
> Status > PM-IBS
- F5 "Batterietausch registrieren"
- F6 "Histogramm Reset"

Everything went well.
Then:
- F3 "PM 2 Byte Feld"
And I could read "Batterie Kapazität in Ah 90.0

So looks like I'm all set!

Today I drove the car and everything is going great, except... I just noticed that my turn signal tap doesn't trigger 3 blinks anymore ?
Since I bought the car I've had the 3 blinks.

So some questions:
- is the 3 blink tap a standard feature or did the previous owner had it coded?
- could the coding I did make the 3 blinks disappear?
- shall I be worried about other things that got changed and that I can't see as obviously?

For info I kept a backup of the WORK folder files at every stage.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #27
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxadn View Post

Stock was 80Ah.

- CNCcoding profile

Then I realized I want to actually update the VO because my car is still under extended warranty and if I bring it to the dealer I don't want them to wipe out my battery setting.

- chassis E89 > read CAS
- FA_WRITE > CAS
- FA_WRITE > NFRM

Then I didn't want to process the whole car since I saw some people got problems with that.

So I did:
- SG_CODIEREN > CAS
- SG_CODIEREN > NFRM

Everything went well with no error, and I could see some stuff happening on the dash or headlights when resetting the modules.

Then I went to:
> Status > PM-IBS
- F6 "Histogramm Reset"

Everything went well.
Then:
- F3 "PM 2 Byte Feld"

Today I drove the car and everything is going great, except... I just noticed that my turn signal tap doesn't trigger 3 blinks anymore ?

So some questions:
- shall I be worried about other things that got changed and that I can't see as obviously?

Thanks!
When you process a module , or "process car," all you're doing is setting everything back to stock settings based on your $VO. So, yes, someone changed that blinker option in the past. Or, maybe it came customized for your cars package or something off the factory floor.

Either way, all you need to do is edit the CAS/NFRM, or whatever module the settings is housed in to get back that feature (sometimes multiple modules all need editing which is why process car is a good function to use when making $VO changes).

Carly is the best app for making these kinds of changes. You can also make the change manually using NCSExpert or NCSDummy. Should be a fairly common thing people edit so some googling should get you an answer on what to change...

Nothing to worry about. All you did was reset those modules back to their factory settings (factory settings as in what your $VO reads).
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #28
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
Quote:

Stock was 80Ah.

- CNCcoding profile

- chassis E89 > read CAS
- FA_WRITE > CAS
- FA_WRITE > NFRM

So I did:
- SG_CODIEREN > CAS
- SG_CODIEREN > NFRM

Then I went to:
> Status > PM-IBS
- F6 "Histogramm Reset"

Everything went well.
Then:
- F3 "PM 2 Byte Feld"

So some questions:

Thanks!
When you process a module , or "process car," all you're doing is setting everything back to stock settings based on your $VO. So, yes, someone changed that blinker option in the past. Or, maybe it came customized for your cars package or something off the factory floor.

Either way, all you need to do is edit the CAS/NFRM, or whatever module the settings is housed in to get back that feature (sometimes multiple modules all need editing which is why process car is a good function to use when making $VO changes).

Carly is the best app for making these kinds of changes. You can also make the change manually using NCSExpert or NCSDummy. Should be a fairly common thing people edit so some googling should get you an answer on what to change...

Nothing to worry about. All you did was reset those modules back to their factory settings (factory settings as in what your $VO reads).
Thanks for your quick feedback and all you've been doing for the community, really appreciated.

No worries for the feature, I'll definitely be able to figure out how to put it back on my own, was just concerned if things may not have gone as expected.

Thanks for the advice on Carly, I may get myself one although now I know how to code it feels redundant... But I'll think about it since you suggest it!

If a few people have done "Process Car" with no issue, can you guys speak up? My only concern was that I read more stuff that went wrong than right, but that's the problem with forums... you mostly get negative feedback (in the EE sense
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #29
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your quick feedback and all you've been doing for the community, really appreciated.

No worries for the feature, I'll definitely be able to figure out how to put it back on my own, was just concerned if things may not have gone as expected.

Thanks for the advice on Carly, I may get myself one although now I know how to code it feels redundant... But I'll think about it since you suggest it!

If a few people have done "Process Car" with no issue, can you guys speak up? My only concern was that I read more stuff that went wrong than right, but that's the problem with forums... you mostly get negative feedback (in the EE sense
You're welcome. Carly is great because it requires no effort (but costs money). Id rather learn to do it myself for free.

This all seems so complicated and scary, but truth is coding and doing software updates is actually pretty damn easy once you learn the process and how to use the tools. Everything being in German makes it a bit more intimidating too.

Try to find how to change the Windows to close when you hold the lock button down. Best feature I've coded by far. You can disable the yellow sidemarkers too. You need to change to EU settings to do that.

If I could give you the specific variables that need changing I would. I dont have them documented though. Good luck!

Edit: "process car" works... I just don't think the steps are exactly the same across all versions of inpa. Not sure on why people having been able to use that function with success as I have many times.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #30
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Quote:
Try to find how to change the Windows to close when you hold the lock button down. Best feature I've coded by far.
You read my mind!!! Definitely on my list Also I'm planning on removing the Windows + Roof open with the fob, useless and risky IMO.

Quote:
You can disable the yellow sidemarkers too. You need to change to EU settings to do that.
This is on my list as well, thanks for the info. I hadn't seen anywhere that you need to change to EU, I will look into that.

Quote:
If I could give you the specific variables that need changing I would. I dont have them documented though. Good luck!
No worries, there is enough info here and there, I'm not reluctant to search (it's actually half the fun I find )

Quote:
Edit: "process car" works... I just don't think the steps are exactly the same across all versions of inpa. Not sure on why people having been able to use that function with success as I have many times.
Cool, thanks for the info, I'll probably give it a shot next time I decide to change my VO.

BTW, I found the answer for the 1x blink vs 3x blink!! ==> RTFM
Page 57 of the non-iDrive user manual it shows how to select one from the other using the dash UI.
So definitely a no-brainer, and fully expected upon a CAS/NFRM reset.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #31
Daver610
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coup

Engine MSD80 or ???

I was finally able to change my battery specs in NCSExpert and registered it in INPA. However, I'm not sure that I did everything correctly:

1. Almost every battery registration instruction for INPA indicates to select engine MSD80. However, my engine (I think) is an MSS60. But when I selected MSS60 I received a German error "Not matching version - Malfunction Possible" and the screen switched to something that was totally different (and in German). I backed out of that mess and, although I believed the MSD80 option to be incorrect, I tried it and it worked. I registered the new battery. However, the battery showed in INPA that I had "91ah" when it should have read "90ah_agm." Does this have something to do with using the wrong engine? I don't even think 91ah is a valid value.

2. I then went to NCSEXPERT and downloaded the current settings to the FSW_PSW file and changed the battery from 90ah_agm to 90ah (I bought this lead acid battery by mistake, but no biggy). So, the car knew that it had a 90ah_agm battery despite what INPA originally reported.

I then went back into INPA via MSD80 and the battery showed correctly (90ah).

Questions:
- Did I use the wrong engine code in INPA and could I have done any damage when I registered the battery?
- I registered the battery PRIOR to changing the AH. Should I do the registration again or maybe this doesn't matter?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #32
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver610 View Post
I was finally able to change my battery specs in NCSExpert and registered it in INPA. However, I'm not sure that I did everything correctly:

1. Almost every battery registration instruction for INPA indicates to select engine MSD80. However, my engine (I think) is an MSS60. But when I selected MSS60 I received a German error "Not matching version - Malfunction Possible" and the screen switched to something that was totally different (and in German). I backed out of that mess and, although I believed the MSD80 option to be incorrect, I tried it and it worked. I registered the new battery. However, the battery showed in INPA that I had "91ah" when it should have read "90ah_agm." Does this have something to do with using the wrong engine? I don't even think 91ah is a valid value.

2. I then went to NCSEXPERT and downloaded the current settings to the FSW_PSW file and changed the battery from 90ah_agm to 90ah (I bought this lead acid battery by mistake, but no biggy). So, the car knew that it had a 90ah_agm battery despite what INPA originally reported.

I then went back into INPA via MSD80 and the battery showed correctly (90ah).

Questions:
- Did I use the wrong engine code in INPA and could I have done any damage when I registered the battery?
- I registered the battery PRIOR to changing the AH. Should I do the registration again or maybe this doesn't matter?
Choosing the wrong DME on accident won't hurt anything. INPA just won't be able to read properly.

It appears that the registration process resets the battery stats used by the Alternator charging algorithm to properly bias the charge rate over time as a battery ages. You can actually read the battery stats in INPA. I don't think resetting the stats (registering a new battery) is affected by what capacity and type battery is coded, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. The actual charge output is still based on the coded battery, which you have accurately coded now as 90_AH lead acid.

It wouldn't hurt though to just open things back up and re-register the battery quick...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #33
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
It wouldn't hurt though to just open things back up and re-register the battery quick...
For some reason I have stuck in my head that you can only register a new battery 5 or 6 times before the memory fills and you can no longer register any more to the car. Does anyone know if this is truly the case?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:06 AM   #34
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
For some reason I have stuck in my head that you can only register a new battery 5 or 6 times before the memory fills and you can no longer register any more to the car. Does anyone know if this is truly the case?
Not sure on that. If you find about more info please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #35
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks for the write up. It's awesome.

If you do the option where you update the Vo, do you still need to register the battery via toolset32 or inpa?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #36
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Thanks for the write up. It's awesome.

If you do the option where you update the Vo, do you still need to register the battery via toolset32 or inpa?
Yes, you still need to register the battery so the car knows the battery is new. Adding the new battery type to the VO just ensures that any future software updates will always code the car for the correct charging profile. See post #26

Rheingold/ISTA-P do all these necessary steps for you in a very user friendly way. A download link for the latest versions has been provided on spool street.

Last edited by bNks334; 09-07-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #37
Trygun
Rep
Drives: Sr3 F30

Hi, I have an F30 and I have to replace the battery .. I found a VARTA from 95Ah how can i add it to the encoding? thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #38
jcattletown
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 E70

Tool32 issue

Hi, bNks334, thank you so much for your replies and explanations. Now I have a problem with Tool32. When I choose the file, MEVD176k.prg to load (mine is E70, N55), it runs forever and never load the file. So I have to stop the program. Any ideas what the problem(s) could be? Thanks a bunch!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #39
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

Darn good post. I read somewhere the IBS and DME need to be of the same sw revision. Is this true? And when replacing the IBS only, do I need to re-register the battery?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #40
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2djazz View Post
Darn good post. I read somewhere the IBS and DME need to be of the same sw revision. Is this true? And when replacing the IBS only, do I need to re-register the battery?
The IBS is not something you can change the software revision on... The IBS just sends voltage data to the DME. It's not a control module per say.

I don't think you'd need to re-register the battery. The battery data should be in the CAS or DME. In fact, I wouldn't re-register the battery because then you'd be telling the car you have a new one when in fact you don't.

Coding for battery type should not be affected in any way.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #41
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygun View Post
Hi, I have an F30 and I have to replace the battery .. I found a VARTA from 95Ah how can i add it to the encoding? thank you.
I would code it as a 90AH battery
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #42
supercati
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: 335xi E92 N54

Thanks for the DIY! It's the best I found online, honestly.

Quote:
Option 5:

It is important to now use NCSExpert to code the car to the new VO settings. If you properly changed the VO, NCSExpert will automatically write the battery capacity and type settings to the various modules. This is what we did manually in option #4!

1. Open NCSEXPERT
2. File > Load profile > Select a profile that has manipulation enabled (“CNCoding”) > Click OK
3. Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. Press F3 (CS/FA f. EC) > Select E89 > Click OK > Select CAS > Click OK
5. Press F6 (Back)
6. Press F3 (Process Car)
7. Press F1 (Code Car)
I have a question here: it is necessary to perform this step on the option 5? We need to code all the modules on the car after changing VO for battery, or just CAS and FRM it's fine?

I ask because for example, when you retrofit the Tempomat, is ok to code just DSC, NFRM and CAS, instead of the whole car.

Thanks!
2008 BMW 130i E81 (LCI) MT
2007 BMW 130i E81 (LCI) MT
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #43
ssalinas
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Great information, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #44
bruce's blue
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 128i sport manual

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Canadian cars, group 49 / H8 battery

I just changed my battery, thanks for the help in coding and resetting the computer, worked well, I had to try several time to get the new type of battery to code, it eventually worked though.

My 128i is a Canadian version, and still had the largest original BMW battery, a 90 ah monster. I was unable to find confirmation of the standard format equivalent here.

I can confirm that the largest battery that the tray fits is indeed a group 49,
or H8 format battery. Height width and depth are identical.
Appreciate 0