BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
iEatSand
Private
Rep
Drives: EvoIX, 135i, Fisker Karma ES

ISO help recoding ECU vin

I recently got a 135i. Went to pass DEQ/Emissions and the VIN on the car is matched up to a 335i... I'm looking for info on how I can reset the VIN on the ECU to match the cars vin. My brother has a mechanic shop and some great equipment. He's got a scantool that can program electronics etc on the screen. Would that tool be able to reset the VIN? There's a shop around me that said they can do it, however they'd charge me $700(seems steep).

If I do reset the vin on the ECU will I need to recode any other electronics? Will the old key fob still work?

I'm hoping that although the ECU is from a 335i, the vin can be written into a 135i since it is technically the same engine/trans.

Appreciate any info as I'll be messing with it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Since the car I have must have a different CAS and key fob, would me changing the VIN on the ECU/DME still work and synchronize with the CAS and FOB? Or would me simply changing the VIN on the ECU/DME require me to also change the CAS VIN, and reprogram the FOB?

Sort of a headache and I understand a lot of people don't have to go through this but figured there may be a few people on this board who have experience in this field. I'm willing to get a DCAN/tact cable for BMW and winkFP. I'm just unsure if I recode the DME vin if it the car will start and run.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

You should try cross posting this over on the e90 forum as well. They have a specific coding section and most likely a higher number of active users over there.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Having read the several threads you've made about this jalopy you would probably have the best luck returning the car since you bought someone else's headache.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Having read the several threads you've made about this jalopy you would probably have the best luck returning the car since you bought someone else's headache.
Not as bad as it all seems. I'm a car dealer and purchased this for $4,000 knowing it had issues. So far I'm in it roughly 4400. There's a guy on facebook called bmw G coding or something. He will change the vin for me for $150.

All the other main issues are fixed, engine and trans are solid. Once the DME is recoded to match the VIN I just need to find a new/used amp and put $700 into some bodywork/PDR.

With the price I got it for, and my dire love hate relationship with euro cars, I'm thinking of keeping this as a DD for some time, and maybe even turning it into a hill climb/event car.

I had a 730WHP Evo IX that was a really fun time attack car. I had the car for 8 years and did everything I could with it, so I'm ready to move into another platform. I've been talking to a local shop near me about swapping an S85 into the 135i, if I go that route the entire car would be getting gutted and a standalone ECU installed.
Appreciate 0