BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Are you sure you checked all the fuses? I forget which one blew on mine. But I was monkeying around with the climate control as I was installing the Bimmertech backup camera retrofit. Not sure what happened but the climate control had no power to it. I was able to locate a blown fuse. Replaced it and everything has been fine ever since.

ETA: I went back through my text messages as I was corresponding to my friend who is a BMW Tech. Based on the old text message, I think it was fuse #75 which is a 5A fuse. I think this is correct as I seem to recall how this situation added to my disdain for the idiots at BMW who made up that fuse diagram.

Last edited by zx10guy; 12-12-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      12-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
As it happens, I have the Carly reader and software. It was the first thing I purchased, though yet to use it. Are you saying the reader needs an OBDII adapter?

Yes, you will need a OBDII port dongle. You can buy one directly from Carly or from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Carly-Univers...s%2C316&sr=8-2

You can read and clear codes with Carly AND also do some light car coding too.

IF you have an Android you need a BT unit. iPhone's need a WiFi dongle. So there are two types of dongles depending on your phone type.

I don't see the one I have... its short and looks kind of like this one....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SNEWIU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

But I am not sure IF this above one will work fully with Carly. ?

Good point about your blower motor recall and the battery cable recall. You might just call up a dealer and run your VIN to see what(IF any) recalls are open for your car. There was also one for the airbag and seat belt insulation too.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #25
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 128i, Volvo 945t & 780t

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Are you sure you checked all the fuses? I forget which one blew on mine. But I was monkeying around with the climate control as I was installing the Bimmertech backup camera retrofit. Not sure what happened but the climate control had no power to it. I was able to locate a blown fuse. Replaced it and everything has been fine ever since.

ETA: I went back through my text messages as I was corresponding to my friend who is a BMW Tech. Based on the old text message, I think it was fuse #75 which is a 5A fuse. I think this is correct as I seem to recall how this situation added to my disdain for the idiots at BMW who made up that fuse diagram.
I will check again, now that I have some long locking clamps I can use to get to them all. I curse BMW for putting the fuse panel in such a location. I cut my hands rather badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, you will need a OBDII port dongle. You can buy one directly from Carly or from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Carly-Univers...s%2C316&sr=8-2

You can read and clear codes with Carly AND also do some light car coding too.

IF you have an Android you need a BT unit. iPhone's need a WiFi dongle. So there are two types of dongles depending on your phone type.

I don't see the one I have... its short and looks kind of like this one....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SNEWIU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

But I am not sure IF this above one will work fully with Carly. ?

Good point about your blower motor recall and the battery cable recall. You might just call up a dealer and run your VIN to see what(IF any) recalls are open for your car. There was also one for the airbag and seat belt insulation too.
As I mentioned, I have the Carly dongle and purchased the full software. It's working.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #26
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
stuff

What about "Transport Mode"? With the sub 0° weather we've been having, I wonder if that's happened.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466631
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #27
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
stuff

What about "Transport Mode"? With the sub 0° weather we've been having, I wonder if that's happened.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466631
I do remember reading about that a while back. Could be possible as well, seems no one really knows how to check If it's on that other than the dealer though.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I will check again, now that I have some long locking clamps I can use to get to them all. I curse BMW for putting the fuse panel in such a location. I cut my hands rather badly.

As I mentioned, I have the Carly dongle and purchased the full software. It's working.
The positioning and access for the fuse panel is understandable due to how tight everything is packaged into these cars.

What I curse BMW on is the nonsensical fuse diagram. Many of those symbols leave me scratching my head as to what the function is for. Other cars actually spell out what each fuse is for. I don't understand why BMW can't do this too. And the sad part about how I found the blown fuse for the climate control was I went fuse by fuse to find it. Talk about a waste of time. And if I'm correct in my identification of fuse 75 being the one that needed replacement in my situation, the stupidity of it lining up with a steering wheel icon in the fuse diagram. Really BMW?
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      12-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #29
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

It looks like it's fuse number 77. Every time I change it the new one blows as soon as I plug it in. What could make fuse number 77 pop?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #30
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

Also, the trunk will not unlock from the remote or from the inside switch.

Last edited by Ursan; 12-14-2019 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #31
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...7-fuse/ildMSEESo, on F77, other than the climate control, it controls the lights in the trunk. I can't tell if it controls the trunk release mechanism, but perhaps there's a short in the trunk?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ule/1VnXpW4emV

Also glove box lamp

Last edited by Ursan; 12-14-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #32
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

So now I'm really "angrelieved". I disconnected the glove compartment lamp and replace fuse number 77 again. And the system started working.

Last edited by Ursan; 12-14-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...7-fuse/ildMSEESo, on F77, other than the climate control, it controls the lights in the trunk. I can't tell if it controls the trunk release mechanism, but perhaps there's a short in the trunk?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ule/1VnXpW4emV

Also glove box lamp
I would look at the wire/cable when you open the trunk... check for a broken wire(s).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #34
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in. You all pointed me in the right direction.

I found the answer from another forum where someone couldn't open the trunk. I put the two together since F77 controlled that as well.

Not happy with BMW's choice to put so many dissimilar components on one fuse, but at least I found the problem in the form of the glove box lamp.

I just removed it. Could it be a short further up the line or a bad/failing bulb?

Not that I go in there more than once or twice per year.
Appreciate 0