BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Misfire on #3 - 0029cf

Hi folks,

Need some thoughts from the collective wisdom here. Last Sat as I ran to the grocery store, the car began to miss and on the way home, threw a SES. I read the code and it was 0029cf, misfire on #3.

I've been working this problem since then with no success. I knew my valve cover gasket was probably due for replacement, so my first thought was that the coil\plug hole was fouled with oil. Sure enough, there was a ton of oil down that hole, so I pulled out the plug and coil and cleaned them up, swabbed out the oil (& ordered a new gasket) then reinstalled. Started up and ran fine. Next AM after about 10 miles, the SES and misfire on #3 again. Have since replaced the coil with a good spare, and last nite I did the drive from hell to the dealer to buy new plugs which I installed last nite. This AM after 10 miles of driving gently, the SES and misfire again.

What's left? Injectors? These are some index 12 replacements I installed a couple years ago when one started leaking: part # 1353 7585261-12. Could one have crapped already after just a couple years? I thought these index 12's were supposed to be more reliable than the originals? Car only has 81K on it. Been running a Cobb tune for the past 3 or 4 years with no issues as well.

I'm interested in the temperature-related recurrence of the fault though. Is an injector problem normally associated with this? I thought injector failures usually manifested themselves in cold start or heavy throttle conditions? I would initially think something electrical would be more apt to be temp-related?

Tonite, I'll try yet a different coil from the spare set, but I give that an exceedingly low chance of success. Apart from that, I don't see much except for a bank of new injectors staring me in the face, unless I can fine a singleton with that part #.

Any thoughts, commiserations, well wishes or other helpful thingies? Thanks for listening,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA

Last edited by ianc; 10-17-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would switch one of your "known" good coils to #3 cylinder. Install one of your spare coils into the other cylinder.

You should always replace injectors in sets of three. Three injectors per bank(#1 & #2).

You could have a bad injector but I suspect your problem is carbon buildup.

Did this misfire just start out of the blue? Or was there any other work done to your car ?

Usually miss fire are; Plugs, Coils, Injectors, Carbon Buildup. In that order. Make sure you install the correct spark plugs(N54's plugs don't work in N55's and vice versa). Then start with known good coil packs.

I'm starting to have a failing HPFP on my car. I keep getting a "0029F2" code on cold starts. Engine runs like shit and I have long cranks. BMW NA has extended the warranty on the HPFP to 10 years or 200K kms on US spec cars. I might have to look into this soon.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input Dack!

I will definitely try changing the coils (again). Will also try cleaning\tightening the injector grounds on that cyl, although that will happen anyway when I replace the VCG this weekend.

I had the car carbon blasted at ~45K, so that's only ~35K ago. Thinking low probability on the carbon buildup.

The plugs were def for the N54 and purchased directly from the dealer. Misfiring just started out of the blue; no other work recently. Been running well for quite some time.

It appears that my injector part # (1353 7585261-12) has been superceded by 1353 8616079 and is NLA. I too had heard older injectors needed to be replaced in banks, but I'm not too keen on blowing $700 on a set of three on a hunch. Cheapest I can find is $229 ea. at fcpeuro.com.

I called three BMW dealers asking this very question. One told me I had to replace all 6, and the other two told me it was fine to replace just one. Still deciding, but it's looking more and more like an injector the more I think about it...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Replace 3 (by bank) if changing index. If same index can replace 1.

May have missed it, what plugs are you using?

I would definitely swap a known good plug and coil to #3. I've had a miss, swapped in a new part only to have that part turn out to be a dud. Easier to troubleshoot if working with known entities.

35k is definitely in range to be totally carbed up. Especially if you've been running with a cracked VC or blown VCG.

Onward.
      10-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Hey Shock,

The plugs are BMW N54 plugs. Just installed last nite. Same symptoms as previously...

Just had a call back from a service manager at BMW whom I left VM with and he confirms what you say (not that I didn't believe you ); the -12 at the end of the part number indicates index twelve, and as long as the injector is replaced with the same index number, they can be replaced as singletons.

He also suggested swapping #3 and #2 injectors to see if the miss moves to #2, but I'm a little leery of swapping injectors because of the silicon seal which theoretically expands when removed from the bore...

Still mulling it, but if my swapping and fiddling tonite doesn't work, thinking of heading over to fcpeuro...

ianc

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Hey Shock,

The plugs are BMW N54 plugs. Just installed last nite. Same symptoms as previously...

Just had a call back from a service manager at BMW whom I left VM with and he confirms what you say (not that I didn't believe you ); the -12 at the end of the part number indicates index twelve, and as long as the injector is replaced with the same index number, they can be replaced as singletons.

He also suggested swapping #3 and #2 injectors to see if the miss moves to #2, but I'm a little leery of swapping injectors because of the silicon seal which theoretically expands when removed from the bore...

Still mulling it, but if my swapping and fiddling tonite doesn't work, thinking of heading over to fcpeuro...

ianc
I believe you can replace the seal but this requires a tool.
      10-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Yup. Cheaper just to buy a replacement injector...

ianc

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Do you have any datalogs? Its gonna either be a spark plug, coil, or injector. Easy to pinpoint with a quick log.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

No datalogs I'm afraid, just the codes read from Carly. I've already replaced plugs and coils and that didn't cure it, so a new injector is on order from fcpeuro; should arrive Tues. Hope Carly is reporting the correct cyl.... 😁

ianc
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Just installed a new injector from FCPEuro.com last nite, coded it and the car is running sweet again!

Damned 261 index 12 injector failed after three years. BMW picked up the tab on replacing the original index 7's that came with the car, wonder if their warranty will cover a second replacement?

On another note, I did the valve cover gasket last weekend. The more I work in this car's engine room, the more fed up I get. The silly cable routing which clips under the cowl tray that has to be removed every time. The stupid single use bolts on the VC which break if you try to torque them to spec and cost 10$ ea, the way you have to zip tie absolutely everything way out of the way and the ridiculous complexity of just moving stuff to change the VC gasket itself, the plastic VC which cracks and costs hundreds, the stupid design of the OFH which requires removal of the intake manifold to change the damned gasket. Oh, and the WATER PUMP!

Really fun to drive, but really irritating to work on,

ianc

Last edited by ianc; 10-24-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
Afam28296.50
TM9030121.50