BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
filippob
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Track days(race track) Steptronic vs Manual

For track days(race track) which will give me faster lap times, manual or Steptronic?

Thank you
:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by filippob View Post
For track days(race track) which will give me faster lap times, manual or Steptronic?

Thank you
:thumbup:

Reports around the net and this forum.. is unanimously Steptronic. You will be hard pressed to find someone to argue that.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

At a drag strip the steptronic is preferred. On a road course I'd suspect the manual would be preferred because the auto will not hold the engine on the rev-limiter, but rather will upshift w/o the driver requesting the shift. Around nasty chicanes like 'bus-stops' that could be a problem for the step.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Manual. I'm not aware of any race cars with auto transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Chaparral - oh wait they're retired. ; -)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars

Also, one caveat on my manual on road course comments. Since the HP drops off (like falling off a cliff) after 6500 RPM on the 135, I wonder if an upshift wouldn't be inidicated before redline regardless. It'll be interesting to see some real world results.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
At a drag strip the steptronic is preferred. On a road course I'd suspect the manual would be preferred because the auto will not hold the engine on the rev-limiter, but rather will upshift w/o the driver requesting the shift. Around nasty chicanes like 'bus-stops' that could be a problem for the step.
How often are you on a Road course Vs. a Stop light : )

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
How often are you on a Road course Vs. a Stop light : )
Interesting question -- Seriously, the 135I is too fast to race from Stop lights without risking all sorts of dire penalties. The 911 is my normal track car; but, so far this year I have had the 135I on Summit Point 2 times and Jefferson Circuit once.

I have driven tip/steptronic (ZF) box on the road course and the torque converter insures that it is not happy. It is good for learning driving a line and learning threshold braking, because you don't have to think about anything else. Once you have learned those things, moving on with the tip is more difficult because you have to become proficient with left foot braking. The ZF has some great profiles; but, they are harder to achieve then driving a manual and using heel-toe. I have only practiced/taught this technique on Porsches (but it is the same ZF). Transitions can be really good when you only have two pedals for your two feet.

Between the two choices you have - manual or tip on a road course
Begining driver faster lap times with Tip
Intermediate and above faster lap times with a manual

My order of preference on a road track -
SMG/F1 - Paddle shifted sequential manual
Conventional manual
Tip/Step

On the street
Conventional manual
Tip/Step

I don't drag race (to hard on components); but, from previous experience --
Automatic
SMG/F1
Manual

Tow vehicle -- Automatic

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
dma550
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I wouldn't want a transmission choosing when to turn my attempt at engine braking to an upshift and causing a weight shift.
      06-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
asv
Captain
Rep

LOL, maybe on a drag strip (compared to an unskilled driver), but there is no way a step is better on a road course. Automatics are pretty damn few and far between at track events, except for occasional person in the newbie group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
Reports around the net and this forum.. is unanimously Steptronic. You will be hard pressed to find someone to argue that.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
Interesting question -- Seriously, the 135I is too fast to race from Stop lights without risking all sorts of dire penalties. The 911 is my normal track car; but, so far this year I have had the 135I on Summit Point 2 times and Jefferson Circuit once.

I have driven tip/steptronic (ZF) box on the road course and the torque converter insures that it is not happy. It is good for learning driving a line and learning threshold braking, because you don't have to think about anything else. Once you have learned those things, moving on with the tip is more difficult because you have to become proficient with left foot braking. The ZF has some great profiles; but, they are harder to achieve then driving a manual and using heel-toe. I have only practiced/taught this technique on Porsches (but it is the same ZF). Transitions can be really good when you only have two pedals for your two feet.

Between the two choices you have - manual or tip on a road course
Begining driver faster lap times with Tip
Intermediate and above faster lap times with a manual

My order of preference on a road track -
SMG/F1 - Paddle shifted sequential manual
Conventional manual
Tip/Step

On the street
Conventional manual
Tip/Step

I don't drag race (to hard on components); but, from previous experience --
Automatic
SMG/F1
Manual

Tow vehicle -- Automatic
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I have not had my auto shift when in Paddle shifter mode for me until redline. I can have it up at 6K RPMs and it won't shift. For me it is perfect because I have never been to a road course, but look forward to immensely. Plus my 135i is my DD and I hate traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

The step cars have to have a steeper final drive ratio to try and compete with the 6MT. Put the ring and pinion from the automatic in the 6MT and you will have a real screamer. You could add a LSD while you are in there. The auto box has to weigh more than the manual box does. Does anyone know how much more?
Appreciate 0