BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Temporary Paint Protection

I am scheduled to pick up my AW 1M at the Performance Center on August 19. I will have quite a drive to get home and am exploring best options for temporary paint protection before I can get more permanent (clear bra-type) protection installed.

I have seen other forum members using the "Blue Painter's Tape" method and have looked into using Griot's surface protection film (see, e.g., http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1). I would be interested in any feedback or experience anyone's had with the following:

1. Blue Painter's Tape - Was it effective in protecting against stone chips and were you able to remove it without any residue or other ill-effects? Application tips?

2. Griot's Film - Any experience at all? Is it thick enough to protect against small stones? Relative ease / difficulty in application, keeping it on throughout the trip, and removal?

3. Repurposed Carpet Protection Film - Someone has suggested using the clear, self-adhesive carpet protection film (available at any home improvement store) in place of the Griot's product. I am skeptical. Any one with any experience here?

Finally, if experience has demonstrated the need for protection on non-obvious areas (i.e., areas other than front, hood, a-pillars, mirros, rear fender leading edges, rocker panels), I would appreciate the heads up.

Thanks much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Griots i just got
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

great thread OP.

isn't griot's similar to saran wrap? couldn't we just use saran wrap from costco and save a load?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
E82///M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series ///M

Temporary Paint Protection

I believe Griot's is a bit thicker than saran wrap, but have not used it yet. The installation video on the Griot's site indicates that it will protect against stones, and I don't think the same can be said for saran wrap. Anyone with experience?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

I used the Griot's one during my ED. It is indeed thicker than saran wrap. It is definitely not as easy to install as they show in the video. You really need to take the time to get it installed smoothly. As for thickness, after removal I did not find any nicks after driving 680 miles on the autobahn. When peeling off, you should do it slowly as some residue may be left over.

For protection, I think it's good enough. If you hit something larger of course it would not have made a difference really.
Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
I used the Griot's one during my ED. It is indeed thicker than saran wrap. It is definitely not as easy to install as they show in the video. You really need to take the time to get it installed smoothly. As for thickness, after removal I did not find any nicks after driving 680 miles on the autobahn. When peeling off, you should do it slowly as some residue may be left over.

For protection, I think it's good enough. If you hit something larger of course it would not have made a difference really.
Hope that helps.
Excellent feedback / information. Very much appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

I'm doing PCD and driving back to St Louis in September, and I'm considering another option- having a clear bra installed somewhere close to the PC the following morning. So far, I've found a few good places in North Carolina and one or two in Georgia. Anyone have any good shops to recommend closer to Greenville?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwildone View Post
I'm doing PCD and driving back to St Louis in September, and I'm considering another option- having a clear bra installed somewhere close to the PC the following morning. So far, I've found a few good places in North Carolina and one or two in Georgia. Anyone have any good shops to recommend closer to Greenville?
I'm in Charlotte and I always used Steve from AutoSheild Carolina's http://www.autoshieldcarolinas.com/. He's close to the SC border, and his skills at putting on the 3M paint protection are TOP NOTCH. Can't come more highly recommended in my book. He's the chosen dealer/applicator for BMW/Mini, Lexus and Porche dealerships in the area, as well as some of the larger name NASCAR teams. Not only that, but he cuts his film in shop, so you won't have to wait for him to "order" products. He's cheaper than some other dealers that I've seen as well (maybe because of this)? I'll go with painters tape from Spartanburg to Charlotte and save the $.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
I'm in Charlotte and I always used Steve from AutoSheild Carolina's http://www.autoshieldcarolinas.com/. He's close to the SC border, and his skills at putting on the 3M paint protection are TOP NOTCH. Can't come more highly recommended in my book. He's the chosen dealer/applicator for BMW/Mini, Lexus and Porche dealerships in the area, as well as some of the larger name NASCAR teams. Not only that, but he cuts his film in shop, so you won't have to wait for him to "order" products. He's cheaper than some other dealers that I've seen as well (maybe because of this)? I'll go with painters tape from Spartanburg to Charlotte and save the $.
Anyone know of a Lamin-X installer near the PCD? I think I'm pretty set on Lamin-X v 3M for superior protection.

Found a few within a 100 miles. Can anyone provide personal feedback?

http://www.lamin-x.com/vendor-locator-a/138.htm
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Last edited by b33g33; 07-27-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

I know this is a bit off topic, but after the temporary solution, does anyone have any experience with the Avery Nano Fusion clear mask product? I know from other posts that we have some real advocates for the Lamin-X brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePerkins View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but after the temporary solution, does anyone have any experience with the Avery Nano Fusion clear mask product? I know from other posts that we have some real advocates for the Lamin-X brand.
I have Avery on my CaymanS and my 135i, I've been very happy with it on both cars and would recommend it highly, not saying it's better than Lamin-X, just that the Avery has been a very good product for me.
      07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Spoke to them, but they do not install pre-cut film... oh wells.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Spoke to them, but they do not install pre-cut film... oh wells.
why would you want precut film and i have yet to see any advantages of lamin-x over 3m. this is making me think it's a personal choice only. the 3m has the same exact "orange peal" finish (this is most people prefer on a stock paint job; it blends better), like original factory paint. if i was to sand down and high polish my car, then yeah i can see the advantage. the 3m paint protection is really thick, it stretches and is completely breathable. again, i'm just not seeing why lamin-x is better at all.

but then again...i digress...i'm sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
why would you want precut film and i have yet to see any advantages of lamin-x over 3m. this is making me think it's a personal choice only. the 3m has the same exact "orange peal" finish (this is most people prefer on a stock paint job; it blends better), like original factory paint. if i was to sand down and high polish my car, then yeah i can see the advantage. the 3m paint protection is really thick, it stretches and is completely breathable. again, i'm just not seeing why lamin-x is better at all.

but then again...i digress...i'm sorry.
The only reason i asked was because I purchased the pre-cut film already. If I didn't then I would've gone the same route as you have.

Have you asked what the price is for them to do the install?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

You might look into this stuff called Trakktape. Never used it, but looks promising.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...native-100839/

http://www.trakktape.com/

I'd probably find out how thick the Griots film is compared to this Trakktape.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #16
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
You might look into this stuff called Trakktape. Never used it, but looks promising.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...native-100839/

http://www.trakktape.com/

I'd probably find out how thick the Griots film is compared to this Trakktape.
I'ved used the trakktape. Great stuff! And YES, I can get a price for you tomorrow (it's sitting downstairs right now in a stack of papers). The price includes tint, but it was a great price IMO, esp considering the work that Steve does. Top notch! I'll get back to the thread tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

this is another site i came across:

www.tracwrap.com

maybe i'll get a roll for my ED. anyone have experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

Great information. Just what I was hoping for in starting the thread. Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok, sorry for the delay. The price for 3MPP is $695. That includes the full kit, mirrors etc. I will probably have a couple of other custom pieces added as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

Temporary Paint Protection -- TrakkTape

I ordered the TrakkTape product. Based on what's out there in terms of information, reviews, and specs, this looks like the best solution -- it's thick (5 mil), does not leave a residue, has enough tack to stay down over long drives at track speeds but won't harm the paint, and is effective against not only bugs, but more importantly, stone chips. Plan on posting a review during / after the drive home from PCD. Thanks again for all the tips.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #22
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePerkins View Post
I would be interested in any feedback or experience anyone's had with the following:

3. Repurposed Carpet Protection Film - Someone has suggested using the clear, self-adhesive carpet protection film (available at any home improvement store) in place of the Griot's product. I am skeptical. Any one with any experience here?
I have used the carpet film many many times for protecting my cars while taking them to the track. It works very well and leaves no residue. The application is very easy and having an extra wide roll makes it quicker to cover the portions you want. The trakk tape may be good but it will take alot longer to apply since the 6" is the widest they make. I am sure it still has a place in the market, but it is very expensive compared to the carpet film. After my buddies saw me using it, they all joined in. Also, I was an instructor so we did not take Sunday drives, we drove very hard and most cars had slicks or R-compound tires which threw up much more debris.

I would suggest you try it. Good protection, easy to apply, very easy removal, no damage and relatively cheap. Good luck.

Brad
Appreciate 0