BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #23
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by khekking View Post
I highly recommend the Autozone Duralast H8-AGM. I just replaced my original (2010) battery in my 128i with that model from Autozone. Fits perfectly, including the vent tube which plugs into the same end with the existing elbow, and comes with a cap to cap off the other end. It is slightly longer than the OEM battery, but still fits perfectly because the bracket has two screw holes to mount the battery, and this battery simply requires you to use the 2nd mounting hole instead of the shorter original one. It is an improvement over the OEM battery in CCA, also glass-mat which is an upgrade. My cost (on sale) was $179, and along with purchasing Carly-BMW (Android) at $50 to register it still came in at less than half what the dealer quoted. They told me battery replacement was $470 including labor. Very easy job to do yourself, if you get the registration software, and you will save a lot of $$$.
Does anyone know if NTB will register the battery? Does it must be registered?
Quote:
NTB almost certainly can't because it requires accessing the BMW specific module to do so.

Must it be? No, your car will still run. But it won't charge the battery in the most appropriate manner meaning the battery life may be affected.

Should it be? Yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
JoshInAtlanta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

Quote:
Definitely register if you want it to last. I had an indy BMW shop install a new Interstate and register it for under $300.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #25
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshInAtlanta View Post
Definitely register if you want it to last. I had an indy BMW shop install a new Interstate and register it for under $300.
Thanks!
      08-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #26
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Hard to believe I am getting a $500 from quote from an indy shop. The dealer is changing me $422.

Now, the dealer told me the battery had a low crank (really weak) and is probably the original battery (7 years now).

However, the battery color I see is sill on green (Sufficiently Charged). When the dealer checked it the car had been seating for 2 weeks due I was on vacation.

What do you think. The question is change or not to change it?
Attached Images

08-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #27
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Hard to believe I am getting a $500 from quote from an indy shop. The dealer is changing me $422.

Now, the dealer told me the battery had a low crank (really weak) and is probably the original battery (7 years now).

However, the battery color I see is sill on green (Sufficiently Charged). When the dealer checked it the car had been seating for 2 weeks due I was on vacation.

The green eye is pretty much meaningless. It only tells you that one of the six cells is charged.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #28
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Quote:

If you plan on keeping the car for a few more years, its makes sense to get a new one from the dealer especially if its a daily driver & you are in a busy urban area. However, if you are a "hands on" type and have a CTEK or Deltran battery maintainer, I would wait. In the winter, put the maintainer on overnight once or twice a month. If you ever start getting funny electrical issues the get a new battery. I am hands on, not DD, winter stored, have maintainer and my 2008 still has original battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:35 PM   #29
West Texas
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i, 2007 BMW 335i

Yes, register it. I'm about to replace a 1YO battery in a 2009 128i. Batttery was installed but not registered and now won't hold voltage.
Appreciate 0