BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2022, 07:43 PM   #1
cruizin01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW

D-rocks Montego Blue 08 135i log of pictures and updates

Hey guys. Just wanted to start a thread mainly to keep track of any updates to the car and anyone that wants to comment or check out what Im up to. I dont always take enough pictures so there might be gaps but Ill do the best I can.

I just recently purchased this car from a member here (Jan '22). Im from Ohio and he was in Florida so it took some logistics to work out the sale. After working out the deal he was super cool and held the car until my wife and I could come down and use it as a rental car for a few days why we stayed in Clearwater Beach. He then took the car back and kept it until the transport truck brought it back to Ohio.

The car was taken care of pretty well by the 2nd owner who was friends with the original buyer who did almost all the mods to the car. The car had 66k miles on it when I purchased it. Ill post a list of the mods when I bought the car.

BMW Performance Black Grills
BMW Performance Side-Skirts
Lux 6500k LED Angel Eyes
LCI Taillights (updated BMW)
Satin Black 135i Badge
BMW Performance Short Shift Kit
BMW Performance Shift Boot (alcantara)
BMW M ZCP Shift Knob
BMW Performance E-Brake Boot and Handle
BMW Anthracite Headliner
Ceramic Window Tint
Breyton GTS-R Lightweight Wheels in Race Silver (18x8.5 square)
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35-18 Rear
Michelin Pilot Sport PS4 255/35-18 Front
E92 M3 Modified Front Strut Bar
E93 M3 Front Sway Bar
Cobb Access Port Tuner (on Stage I Tune)
VSRF Charge Pipe
Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
BMW F30 Brake Backing Plates (cooling)
Dual Cone Intake
Dinan Cat-Back Exhaust

So some very nice parts on the car to start with. Anyway to continue on.

Here was about an hour after we picked it up. Getting its first bath. Then a few hours later for a quick picture on the beach.

My wife being her goofy self.

The car eventually made it back to Ohio after almost 2 weeks on a truck. It was also yucky yucky weather so the car was disgusting when it finally landed. No pics (remember I said I suck sometimes?)

Immediately I installed some winter tires on the Breyton wheels. 2 of the wheels are bent. So Im trying to limp it through until this spring then Ill have them fixed for next winter.

My wifes M sport X1 3.5i in the background in winter mode.

The car needed new air filters badly so instead of cleaning them I just installed new filters. I think this was on day 2 or so of actually having the car.

The pressure washer at the car wash blasted off the rear rondel so that had to get replaced.
View post on imgur.com

The car has an M Perf shift kit but had the leather M style knob which I hate. I dont like how it fits in my hand and was worn anyway. I ordered the original style M Perf knob. Gosh its so good. And shorter so shifts feel better.

With the cold weather here in Ohio, shifting the trans was stiff and pretty terrible. More like driving a truck. I decided to swap fluids and installed this Redline MT-LV. Its like a whole new transmission now. Very impressed.

I still need to delete the clutch delay valve. I didn't think the car had a clutch stop so I ordered one of those as well but the car already had one. So I have a spare now.

While I was on the shifting kick, I felt the brake pedal and gas pedal were a little too far apart from each other for heal tow shifting. Bimmerworld sells a slightly large gas pedal that bolts to the original plastic pedal. This raises the gas pedal slightly and gets it slightly closer to the brake pedal. Pretty awesome mod. You just have to be slightly more careful where your braking foot is under braking. I love it though.

Also related to shifting...

I hate armrest. My arms must be too long or something. They always get in the way of shifting. So I found the thread here and ordered the delete parts. ($$ ripoff, even at dealer employee cost) Its so much nicer without it. I have a new center console to replace the yucky, worn and chipped original one. Ill post that up when I get it replaced.

The car has a bit of a clunk in the driveline. I believe its in the rear end. After some research it seems pretty common for these wavetrac LSD's to be clunky. Not something Im super fond of. The diff works great but is noisy. I decided to drain the fluid, check it and replace it with new Motul 75w-140.
I went to drain it and realized I dont have the proper allen socket. So I found a random bolt with a 14mm head, welded a couple nuts on the end and then used a socket over those nuts and a ratchet to remove it. Its not stupid if it works right?

It helped some with the noise but I still dont love it. This spring I think Ill pull the diff down and check backlash and the driveshaft to look for worn and loose parts.

more below.
Appreciate 2
WrathOTM542.50
Almuliman483.50
      02-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #2
cruizin01
Private First Class
Rep

This past weekend I took the opportunity to clean the intake valves and replace the leaking ofhg and cooler gasket.

I used our factory BMW tools to walnut blast everything. They were pretty dirty from never being done. I expected it needed done as the car felt pretty lazy/laggy. I had never done this repair before and it was about what I expect. Just sorta messy and dusty. Took about 6 hours.

All back together.

Ive got some more cool mods coming up soon.

Here's a pic of the car next to my E30 that I bought last year as a roller and put back together and LOVE about as much as any car Ive ever owned. Its not even BMW powered anymore. If you want more pictures of it. LMK.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Pretty rad 135i. Good luck with your 1er as your build progresses. I'm always envious of owners the couple shades of blue the 1 came in.
Also I've done that with a bolt too for this one giant f'ing allen/hex bolt on an older car of mine's steering rack. If it works it ain't stupid!
      02-27-2022, 06:53 PM   #4
cruizin01
Private First Class
Rep

Ive been looking to replace the headunit in this car with something more modern. Mostly looking for something that could use android auto. There's next to nothing available for Top HIFI/ Logic 7 cars. My real only option was to replace the headunit and amplifier. After digging around I decided to invest in a Match 7 amplifier to go with the Joying HU I had already purchased.

The Match 7 amp comes with a harness for a hifi car. I bought a connector and wiring to plug into that end. I then found the male pins to plug into the car side Logic 7 connection. I wasn't able to easily find the plastic connector so I shrunk wrapped the pins and plugged them in. I decided to utilized the separate power and ground on the amp instead of using the power and ground in the factory harness.

Oddly enough the logic 7 amps are in the rear door panels instead of the trunk area. Everything was slightly more difficult to fit and wire. The amp I was able to mount in the trunk floor. Its so small it doesn't require much space. The wiring requires more fore thought than anything else.

I ran a optical digital connection from the new Joying HU to the new amp. I also ran a remote turn on from the Joying HU to the amp. The HU required a constant 12v source so I also ran that to the battery.

Once everything was hardwired I download the Match software and downloaded a "tune". Sounds great. Obviously I need to spend some learning the software and making adjustments but overall Im very happy with it. I want to move the display up just a bit to not block the climate control but the single din bracket will need modified a bit so Ill do that later on. These new Joying units are super impressive when using their canbus interfaces. I have next to zero complaints with it.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #5
cruizin01
Private First Class
Rep

I was able to get the new Joying headunit moved up and out of the way of the HVAC. I just trimmed the single din bracket to allow the serial cable to sit higher and reinstalled. The new guy works great. So issues so far.

A before and after picture of the replacement center console

Finally got my Ohlins Road and Track coilovers installed. Haven't set the height just yet until I get my other wheels and tires in to verify and fitment changes needed. Overall it rides very nice 15 clicks from hard.

Before

After
Appreciate 2