BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #67
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I know of an owner who said he was actually slower down the strip with his LSD fitted.

This doesn't mean that it isn't useful, just that he needs to practice his launching technique with his LSD fitted.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #68
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I know of an owner who said he was actually slower down the strip with his LSD fitted.

This doesn't mean that it isn't useful, just that he needs to practice his launching technique with his LSD fitted.
The strip is a well prep'd surface in which you are only traveling in a straight line. The difference between an LSD and no LSD is minimal compared to the difference on an uneven surface like the street or road course where you may be turning. That's where you'd see a real difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:10 AM   #69
Marc_28i
Registered
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

Hello guys I am new here I recently bought a mega Frankenstein of a car on paper it is a 128i at it has an n54 6mt upgraded clutch and some m3 suspension part a finned diff... The previous owner didn't know a lot abou it but said it has an m diff I suspected to have an lsd jacked up the car in neutral both Wheels turn in the same direction but in gear turn opposite direction and is hard to turn any clues?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #70
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_28i View Post
Hello guys I am new here I recently bought a mega Frankenstein of a car on paper it is a 128i at it has an n54 6mt upgraded clutch and some m3 suspension part a finned diff... The previous owner didn't know a lot abou it but said it has an m diff I suspected to have an lsd jacked up the car in neutral both Wheels turn in the same direction but in gear turn opposite direction and is hard to turn any clues?
M diff has clutches engaged by wheel speed difference (viskolok). It is very possible the wheel would not be locked at such low speeds. you will feel some drag from the clutches but wheels will spin independently.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #71
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
The strip is a well prep'd surface in which you are only traveling in a straight line. The difference between an LSD and no LSD is minimal compared to the difference on an uneven surface like the street or road course where you may be turning. That's where you'd see a real difference.
yeah people think LSD is some magic item that will make them 10x faster. Stock brake torque biasing works really well especially in a straight line for drag application. People have cut some VERY low 60' times on the stock diff.
Appreciate 0