BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2022, 10:41 PM   #1
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Issues after Injector and Valvetronic motor replacement

So, I replaced all injectors and the valvetronic motor in conjunction with a VC replacement.

- Mechanically everything went together fine.

- ISTA+ was having connection issues with the DME (said "Voltage Fault", but car is on a charger) for some reason when I tried to use it for coding injectors, but Protool worked fine and the new values took fine. I considered the option just below the injector coding called "cylinder equalization", which had a note that it could be done after replacing injectors. I wasn't sure what it did, so I did not do it.

I did the valvetronic "find endstops" or whatever with ISTA and that took.

I then did the valvetronic run-in with ISTA+ since I knew that would require restarting the car and idling it for a bit which would also test the injectors. The ISTA process progressed and the car started and began idling fine, which made me pretty happy. But during the 450 cyclings the display kept flashing to something about a "connection fault" or something. Car continued to run fine and ISTA indicated the procedure finished.

I shutoff the car and, in what may have been my first mistake, I read where i should probably "reset engine adaptions". So I did that in Protool.

I also ended up electing to do the "cylinder equalization" in Protool. Figured it couldn't hurt...probably my second mistake.

Now the car runs rough and has been throwing codes such as:

2D43 - Valvetronic, Adjustment Range, Fault check
2FA9 - Ignition, cylinder 2: Combustion Period too short
2D41 - Valvetronic, Adjustment Range, Master Adaption outside tolerances
2D45 - Valvetronic, adjustment range, Stop not taught in due to ambient conditions

I feel like I need help in just getting back to "ground zero" and what I need to recode to make all this correct. Any help appreciated.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 11:58 PM   #2
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Upon further reading, it may be the eccentric shaft is also worn and is binding. I did order one and the needle bearings, because of this possibility, but it looks like I'll need to order new injector seals and decouplers (do I really need to replace those every time? Sheez...).

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 08:40 PM   #3
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Reseating the coil solved the 2FA9 issue.

I am also cautiously optimistic I have resolved the valvetronic issues!

- I believe the ISTA comms issues were a latency setting issue with the COM port. I had previously set it to "1" but it had somehow changed to 16.

- I used MHD on my Android phone to clear the errors.

- I used Protool to do the VVT "find limits" and it worked! I could hear it doing it.

- I then started the car and it started and idled great. Throttle response was good as well.

- When I shut the car down, I didn't get the "small impact wrench sound" from the VVT, just the "gear drive to max setting" sound.

Also no codes returned.

Plan on doing a track day next friday so...wish me luck!

Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Reseating the coil solved the 2FA9 issue.

I am also cautiously optimistic I have resolved the valvetronic issues!

- I believe the ISTA comms issues were a latency setting issue with the COM port. I had previously set it to "1" but it had somehow changed to 16.

- I used MHD on my Android phone to clear the errors.

- I used Protool to do the VVT "find limits" and it worked! I could hear it doing it.

- I then started the car and it started and idled great. Throttle response was good as well.

- When I shut the car down, I didn't get the "small impact wrench sound" from the VVT, just the "gear drive to max setting" sound.

Also no codes returned.

Plan on doing a track day next friday so...wish me luck!
Nice work buddy. Way to keep at it.

Where in Protools were you able to do the vvt limits, all that’s there for me is the vvt calibration or something like that. That’s inside the engine functions.

I’m working through my valvetronic issues now, check out my other thread if you got any thoughts I’d appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #5
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyincash View Post

Where in Protools were you able to do the vvt limits, all that’s there for me is the vvt calibration or something like that. That’s inside the engine functions.

I’m working through my valvetronic issues now, check out my other thread if you got any thoughts I’d appreciate it.
Thx. I may have spoke too soon. Idle stall on first cold start is back and I have a 2DD0 shadow code - Valvetronic system: Control deviation warning threshold exceeded.

Yes, the VVT calibration in Engine Fuctions in Protool. you can easily hear it cycle through the range when it does it.

I'll check your thread. Some have suggested a "DME update" but I am already running a custom Wedge Tune. Do I need to flash back to stock or something? I dunno. So hard to find clear answers on some of this stuff.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyincash View Post

Read your thread. It sounds like your eccentric shaft is sticking. Bummed that flashing back to full stock didn't work for you. I may try it any way. Just consumes time.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #7
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, I flashed completely back to stock, then back to my custom tune and it appears to be working fine with no codes now. This cars electronic quirks are ridiculous! We'll see how it runs on the track on Friday.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:40 PM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

That sounds promising! Good luck.

(Hopefully it's not just random - that it is starting to bind but hasn't fully and you caught it on a good day)
Appreciate 1
AndyW650.00
      04-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #9
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, it ran great! Still has the cold start stall issue but I guess I'll just live with that. Only shadow codes I keep getting now are 2BFE Fuel high pressure during fuel injecvtor release: Pressure too low - which I would get randomly as a shadow code before I swapped injectors and 2BF0 kraftstoffhochdruck bei oder nach freigabe der einspritzung 2. umweltbedingungssatz nach zeitverzogerung druck zu niedrig which apparently translates to fuel high pressure at or after release of injection 2nd set of environmental conditions after time warped pressure too low. I did have the FPR replaced recently so maybe I'll check that, but the car ran great so maybe I'll just ignore the codes and just enjoy the car...

Appreciate 1
      04-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #10
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Why did you change the injectors and valve tronic motor? Were you seeing issues or was it some while I was in there work?

Regarding the latency setting. I just had that happen to me when I tried to run the brake bleed procedure in ista. Would start then error out. Some googling showed me a video of the latency setting. And mine of course had changed to 16. Set it to 1 and everything worked great.

For me, when I log PI, the usb cable uses the same driver and latency needs to be set to 16. Figured that out the hard way as well when I was out logging and couldn’t connect to my Pi controller haha. Now I will never forget to update that setting depending on what I’m doing.
Appreciate 1
AndyW650.00
      04-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #11
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Why did you change the injectors and valve tronic motor? Were you seeing issues or was it some while I was in there work?

Regarding the latency setting. I just had that happen to me when I tried to run the brake bleed procedure in ista. Would start then error out. Some googling showed me a video of the latency setting. And mine of course had changed to 16. Set it to 1 and everything worked great.

For me, when I log PI, the usb cable uses the same driver and latency needs to be set to 16. Figured that out the hard way as well when I was out logging and couldn’t connect to my Pi controller haha. Now I will never forget to update that setting depending on what I’m doing.
Injectors were "while I was in there". They had over 100K and were original.

Appreciate 1
houtan701.00
      04-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #12
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Track day was great! Returning the eccentric shaft for a refund. FCPEuro's 90 day return policy for unopened new parts is generous and really supports DIY guys like me who may order for the worst case scenario but not need all the parts.

Appreciate 3
houtan701.00
Afam28296.50