BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

135i Headlight malfunction

So my 135 has gone through about 3 headlight ballasts in a year and some change. My low beam keeps going out. Two on the right side and the most recent time it went out on the left. I bought a new ballast and this time it didn't work. So I swapped the bulbs with the new ballast to see if it was the bulbs and no shot. So its not the bulb and not the ballast what could be the problem? I really hope its not a wiring issue... I have a brand new adaptive headlight module but I don't think that would make my low beam not come on.

Last edited by Josiiah; 11-20-2021 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: I was just messing around in Bimmercode and when i code all the light will come on for a split second as it is resetting, and guess what the low beam that is out actually flickered too!. So it got me thinking the low beam actually works but when the car is on and I have my low beams on it wont come on. So that's where I'm at now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update

So no has replied but I have traced the problem further. I put the left headlight on the right side and it worked. So now it has something to do with the plug that comes from the harness I guess. I don’t have time or another car to be able to drop it off. Any ideas on what might be the problem I could use some help. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
DakarDoug
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i Coupe

Sounds like we are having some similar issues. This forum doesn't appear to provide much technical assistance. I will be following to see what resolution you come up with. Was it hard pulling your front bumper off?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:51 PM   #5
DakarDoug
Private
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention that it might also be the FRM footwell module located in front of the hood release pull.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:43 AM   #6
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarDoug View Post
Sounds like we are having some similar issues. This forum doesn't appear to provide much technical assistance. I will be following to see what resolution you come up with. Was it hard pulling your front bumper off?
Its gotten easier to take the bumper off now that I've done it a few times. It's just connected to the fender liner with 8mm bolts and the headlight washer covers. I leave off the top screws of the bumper that meets the hood. I jack up the car just a bit from the front so the fender liner is easier to access. No need to remove the wheels. Thanks for the tip! Ill try to diagnose the footwell module.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #7
DakarDoug
Private
United_States
Rep

Update

Any update on your headlight issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarDoug View Post
Any update on your headlight issues?
Sorry been really busy, so it was the Foot well Module. My Indy took mine in for a repair and they gave me a loaner and both headlights work great now! Was $300 though. It was super easy to swap out at least
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #9
DakarDoug
Private
United_States
Rep

Finally made a little progress on mine. Replaced the right-side ballast where hi/low beam was not working and now it works. I suspect my adaptive control units may be defective as I still have the adaptive lighting faults but now at least all of my lights work. Debating on whether to live with the annoyance, replace adaptive control units, or unprogram the adaptive lights. Car now is 13 years old with 215k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 04:18 PM   #10
Pot_Pie_35i
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i (PTE 6466)

I'm having a similar issue:
Passenger side went out about a week ago, flipped the bulbs and the bulb worked on drivers side. Got a new ballast installed on passenger side yesterday, both lights worked for an hour until passenger side went out again. About 3hrs after a car wash the drivers side went out too.. noticed minor condensation on both sides.

THEN after driving home at 2am last night with just halo's (not recommended), turning car/lights on and off a couple times and hitting some bumps the PASSENGER side turned back on and drivers side was out.. Haven't noticed any flickering, just on or off.

Any ideas?

I've heard a short in the bulb can fry the ballast, or does this sound like a bad Foot well module? Thanks
Appreciate 0