BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
ceej269
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i (automatic)

I have a 2011 128i and the battery went dead. It's a new car for me so I'm learning the ends and outs. To charge my phone I had to hit the button for accessory power which apparently drained my battery.

After a jump I am now in limp mode only after having the car 3 days. I read that you can hold the trip button until you see reset but that never happened. I'm going to attempt disconnecting the battery today. Will this work?? Is resetting the ECU what I must do to get out of limp mode after a dead battery? Is resetting it going to affect my car's performance?

My neighbor tried connecting to his (old) equipment to reset but would not work…can I limp to Autozone and have them do it?

It's very disheartening to finally get my dream car and on day 3 it's no longer drivable. And with the down payment and high monthly payments, I can't simply take it to a shop or dealership and shell out $$ that I don't have for something so dumb as a dead battery. (The car starts fine now…it's just in limp mode)

I'm fearful of what other problems are in store for me

*Update* I did the battery disconnect and discharge. Waited 10 minutes. Nothing changed.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
2008e92328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Sorry to hear that! I really don't know anything about the battery or how it works, however, if you're in limp mode, I believe you should have a CEL. Pull the codes and see. Or call your local or nearest BMW dealer to see if you f they can assist. Again, sucks you have to go through this. You'll figure it out though! Good luck
Appreciate 0