BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
sizablepants
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 135i @Driving_This_Daily

Best Coilovers Under $1,000????

I think my shocks are shot im at 50k and have a ton of body roll. I was thinking about doing dinan camber plates, h&r sport lowering springs and Koni yellows but the total would come out to about $1,100. So I figured I would explore my coilover options since the camber/height adjustability might be nice.

Is there a coilover under $1,100 that would be better that Koni yellow sports/H&R sport springs/dinan camber plates?

Usage: I daily my car but track or autocross it at least once a month and would prefer better handling over a comfortable ride.

ECStuning is having their Spring sale so I was looking at these ISC coilovers.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-isc-susp...rt/b012-s~isc/

They also have their Track & Race Coilovers on sale
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-isc-susp...ce/b012-t~isc/

Let me know your thoughts

Last edited by sizablepants; 03-16-2022 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:54 AM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Back in the day most trying to save money went with S&T coilovers which were a less rust resistant version of KWs. Coilover ride height adjustability is the way I'd go. But even with coilovers our cars are roll prone. When I get around to it I plan to purchase much stiffer springs, etc next time I mod.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I have the Koni Yellows + Eibach lowering springs, GC street camber plates (at -3 camber front and rear), and M3 front sway bar, and I like this setup a lot for a dual purpose car that sees everything from NYC roads to winter snow/ski trips and track days. It's great on the street and I did about 12 track days last summer (6 days at Watkins glen). Although it is on the soft side for the track and does roll a bit in the turns that's my only complaint to be honest. It's something you notice, but it doesn't cause an issue if that makes sense (unlike my brakes which were overheating, THAT was a problem). Personally I just love the simplicity of having fixed ride height, one adjustment (full stiff for track) and the reliability of the OEM strut design. Years ago I had JRZ RS1 on this car and then switched to JRZ RS2 and on track those are simply next level, but it was just overkill on street and I don't have time for maintenance or rebuilds so I sold them and opted for the Koni setup.

As a disclaimer I also have the M3 control arms front and rear, M3 RSFB, half cage, race seats and harnesses, so that all adds to the handling and feel of the car (especially the half cage).

I don't know much about ISC coilovers but the description makes them sound quite good. Bimmerworld can probably give you some info ok the ISC kit, their customer service is helpful and more importantly unbiased from my experience with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
sizablepants
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I have the Koni Yellows + Eibach lowering springs, GC street camber plates (at -3 camber front and rear), and M3 front sway bar, and I like this setup a lot for a dual purpose car that sees everything from NYC roads to winter snow/ski trips and track days. It's great on the street and I did about 12 track days last summer (6 days at Watkins glen). Although it is on the soft side for the track and does roll a bit in the turns that's my only complaint to be honest. It's something you notice, but it doesn't cause an issue if that makes sense (unlike my brakes which were overheating, THAT was a problem). Personally I just love the simplicity of having fixed ride height, one adjustment (full stiff for track) and the reliability of the OEM strut design. Years ago I had JRZ RS1 on this car and then switched to JRZ RS2 and on track those are simply next level, but it was just overkill on street and I don't have time for maintenance or rebuilds so I sold them and opted for the Koni setup.

As a disclaimer I also have the M3 control arms front and rear, M3 RSFB, half cage, race seats and harnesses, so that all adds to the handling and feel of the car (especially the half cage).

I don't know much about ISC coilovers but the description makes them sound quite good. Bimmerworld can probably give you some info ok the ISC kit, their customer service is helpful and more importantly unbiased from my experience with them.
Do you have a custom half cage?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:57 AM   #5
sizablepants
Private
Rep

Thanks guys! I will be taking my shocks out tomorrow to run a few tests and see if they are actually shot or not so I can go from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizablepants View Post
Do you have a custom half cage?
It's made by AutoPower and couldn't be happier with it. It does have a flaw and that is due to where the backing plate is located on the floor, the brake lines will need to be rerouted a tiny bit (paid a bit extra in labor due to this).

But this bar significantly stiffened the car. You can feel it immediately going around a sweeping highway turn, the car just feels flat and reacts quicker to steering inputs vs. stock you'd feel some delay and twist especially at the front end.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
It's made by AutoPower and couldn't be happier with it. It does have a flaw and that is due to where the backing plate is located on the floor, the brake lines will need to be rerouted a tiny bit (paid a bit extra in labor due to this).

But this bar significantly stiffened the car. You can feel it immediately going around a sweeping highway turn, the car just feels flat and reacts quicker to steering inputs vs. stock you'd feel some delay and twist especially at the front end.
Can you PM which bar from Autopower you bought please?
I’m in the middle of deciding which direction to go (AP cage vs custom weld in)

Happy to hear you like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab28 View Post
Quote:

Can you PM which bar from Autopower you bought please?
I'm in the middle of deciding which direction to go (AP cage vs custom weld in)

Happy to hear you like it.
https://www.wdlracing.com/products/a...xoCMcUQAvD_BwE

Hope the link works, its their Race Roll Bar. I like the bar but do keep in mind you will have to reroute the brake line slightly.
Appreciate 1
Ab28592.50
      04-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #9
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizablepants View Post
ECStuning is having their Spring sale so I was looking at these ISC coilovers.

They also have their Track & Race Coilovers on sale

Let me know your thoughts
Those spring rates are all out of wack IMHO. I am not aware of any coilovers <$1k that are actually tuned well.

For safety reasons, I'd also strongly recommend some kind of extra reinforcement sandwiched between the foot of an Autopower roll bar and the floor pan to spread the loads further and prevent the mounting plate from punching through if it's more of a flop than a roll.

Last edited by Driven5; 04-01-2022 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0