BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
CharsadehBEAST
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Minivan

Question N54 midpipe on a N55 vehicle?

Anyone ran this setup before? I currently have VRSF catless + factory N55 mids + MPE with y-pipe. Was looking to get a bit more volume and address the horrible smell issue with aftermarket mids that have high flow cats but it's easily over $1k and have given up on that route. A lot of N54 guys run the N55 mids so might be easy to trade but wondering if it will significantly improve the smell issue? I can't drive around with the windows down due to the fumes and neighbor has been complaining to management as well (apartment complex).
      04-19-2022, 06:33 AM   #2
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

How about a race cat downpipe? Would be able to tone down smell and is cheaper. I've been thinking about getting one lately.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceway View Post
How about a race cat downpipe? Would be able to tone down smell and is cheaper. I've been thinking about getting one lately.
This and end thread. Lol
No smell, similar performance, better noise, potentially cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupé

I have 1M mids with a VRSF downpipe. Works well and passes an MOT over here in the UK. You might get a tiny bit of smell on startup if you go outside and stand by the exhaust tips, but once there's a bit of heat in the cats, they're fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 04:41 PM   #5
hardcoreracing
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

ethanol

What stage are you running? Running e30 will help the smell, even more with e50, plus you get the extra power to boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:56 AM   #6
CharsadehBEAST
Private First Class
Rep

Catted DP is the obvious option but more $ for both parts + labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinNismo View Post
I have 1M mids with a VRSF downpipe. Works well and passes an MOT over here in the UK. You might get a tiny bit of smell on startup if you go outside and stand by the exhaust tips, but once there's a bit of heat in the cats, they're fine.
Is your VRSF DP catless? If so that is very reassuring to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreracing View Post
What stage are you running? Running e30 will help the smell, even more with e50, plus you get the extra power to boot.
Stage2+ with e50 and upgraded LPFP for a few months now. Was stage2+ with e30 and stock LPFP. I can tell the difference when I went from e30 to e50 however it was not as significant as I hoped. But going from 91 octane to the e30 mix was quite a difference. Every 6 weeks or so I fill up with regular 91 and reflash, butt dyno estimate is ~20-25 hp difference
      04-29-2022, 04:30 AM   #7
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharsadehBEAST View Post
Is your VRSF DP catless? If so that is very reassuring to hear!
Yeah, catless downpipe. It's a good, cheap setup and it sounds good too! For reference, my smell experience is based on V-Power, which is the best fuel we can generally buy over here.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

I installed a 200 cell cat right after where the stock resonator in the mid pipe would be. It got rid of maybe 60-70% of the smell. Good enough for me and the cat was around $110.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:21 AM   #9
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I honestly don't get the smell thing. I ran E50 - E85 in mine for years with no issues of smell, full catless. Idling in traffic, etc. etc. Put tons of miles on it.

I think you guys who have smell issues need to have the tune looked at. If the cat isn't lighting off it will smell. If the cat is too cold it will smell. The tune is much more EGT dependent if you're running cats than if not.
And there's also the bit about turbo's smoking if you go catless. But if they smoke that means all that was contaminating the cats too. Which could also be a reason for smell.

Hate to say it but sometimes to old adage of 'just cleaning the carbon out' is actually a solution. You need to get the EGT's up there for a good little while to burn the gunk out of the cats.

And to hell with your yuppie ass neighbor.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:29 PM   #10
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I honestly don't get the smell thing. I ran E50 - E85 in mine for years with no issues of smell, full catless. Idling in traffic, etc. etc. Put tons of miles on it.

I think you guys who have smell issues need to have the tune looked at. If the cat isn't lighting off it will smell. If the cat is too cold it will smell. The tune is much more EGT dependent if you're running cats than if not.
And there's also the bit about turbo's smoking if you go catless. But if they smoke that means all that was contaminating the cats too. Which could also be a reason for smell.

Hate to say it but sometimes to old adage of 'just cleaning the carbon out' is actually a solution. You need to get the EGT's up there for a good little while to burn the gunk out of the cats.

And to hell with your yuppie ass neighbor.
You don’t get the smell issue exactly because you ran high ethanol content.
The more alcohol you burn the less you will smell anything. For us E0 it’s pretty bad like an old truck or Chevy… no way.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 08:32 PM   #11
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
You don’t get the smell issue exactly because you ran high ethanol content.
The more alcohol you burn the less you will smell anything. For us E0 it’s pretty bad like an old truck or Chevy… no way.

LOL. Nope.
It's the quality of Ethanol we have here. Mine is made about 30 miles away from me. It's pretty fresh and doesn't have a bunch of BS added to it.
Elsewhere, who knows. Might be some antiwater additives, stabilizers, who knows what added.
Most of the Mid-West has Ethanol that's made fairly close to the point of sale. Elsewhere in the country that may not be the case.

I run E30 in my Tiguan. It has factory exhaust. If I let it idle for a while it'll smell some. But that's because of all the water cooling the cat down and killing it's efficacy. Beat on it and heat the cat up, problem solved.

Like I said, EGT's matter. Play with the tune and it'll get better.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
________
________
Rep

We’ll agree to disagree. The smell is inherent to burning gasoline. That’s why catalytic converters exist. The smell we smell is of the pollutants the catalytic converter eliminates.
As long as there’s no cat, there’s going to be smell.
Not sure what the ethanol diatribe is about, that’s probably a topic for a different discussion. Much more so as ethanol origins (!!!) or what-have-you play no part in the smell burning gasoline that has 0 ethanol emits…
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
CharsadehBEAST
Private First Class
Rep

I agree tuning plays a part, I run OTS MHD and when I activate the burble tune even at its lowest setting, the smell gets worse. However even with the burble tune off the smell is too strong. More importantly, I went thru the whole cancer BS a few years back and don't want to breathe anymore cancer into my lungs