BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
Ihatemy135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Lower Charge Pipe Keeps Slipping Off

Lower charge pipe keeps blowing off where it connects to the inter cooler. I’ve spent months trying to figure out this problem. Anytime I go full WOT the lower charge pipe blows off. I can’t find any other thread where this issue happens and I haven’t found a solution. The rubber connects to plastic and slips off, I understand that this is the issue, however I can’t find the part or a solution for it. Please help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Could be pulling off,,, worn motor mount, or broken.
Or could be from pressure. I don't doubt you're putting too much pressure on the plastic J pipe with that clamp, distorting it. Use a traditional hose clamp and just go as tight as you can twist by hand,,, making sure there's no oil on the tube of coupler.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

What charge pipe are you using? Assuming VRSF? It might be shorter than needed. (This is the “upper” charge pipe BTW, the lower is at the bottom on the passenger side).

The clamps are perfect.

I don’t see a replacement coupler that is longer like the lower one (VRSF came up with it years ago, ending a series of issues with the shorter version of the straight coupler).

What I would do (and did) is:

1- remove the 2 clamps. Leave the coupler and clamps in place. (Optional: measure the distance between the 2 pipe openings)
2- Go from the bottom of the car, under the bumper, you’ll see the intercooler is supported on 2 mounts (one on either side of it, at the extremity). Push it up and out of the mounts.
3- bend the mounts upwards to have the intercooler be mounted further up. This will help with coupling on both sides, shortening the distance between the pipes that need to be coupled.
4- settle the intercooler down on the newly upward-bent mounts.
5- after gaining a few inches (the difference should be clear, measure again to compare), put the coupler back on the pipes equi​dis​tant​ly, and tighten the clamps.

The mounts may have sagged or were pushed down during some install, and the distance grew from pipe to pipe.

Caveat emptor: my issue was on the lower charge pipe. I was able to make it better by doing the above, but only fixed it with the longer version of the coupler (pic attached), which you can buy at VRSF (they don’t advertise it as being longer). It MIGHT be the case this is also true for your coupler. Not sure. Try the above first and see how it goes.
The mounts are flexible metal so they can be moved. But be careful. You’ll understand once you’re down there facing up on the engine.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by ________; 02-11-2023 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0