BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
The Blimp
Private
Rep
Drives: A Car

DIY needed - Access from trunk to cabin - E88

I am trying to install the wiring harness for the Alpine stereo retrofit on my E88 but I cant see how I can route the wiring as the rear seats are fixed in place and no clear path around them. Can anyone link me to a DIY or some other thread that shows how to route wiring for the convertible?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
The Blimp
Private
Rep

Ok, so I shall answer my own question...

It looks like I have to remove the rear seat backrest and side panels in order to route the wiring. I will have to start this later after work and will post my progress to help anyone else silly enough to attempt this. I hate pulling stuff out of BMWs as they tend to not go back together the same and it breaks then you have to pay $$$$$$$.

First, I need to remove the rear headrests, then the plastic guides the slot into. Then I can unscrew the two screws at the bottom of the backrest and pull it out.

Hopefully at that stage I might be able to route the wiring harness, but if not I would have to remove way more stuff, such as the upper and lower rear side trims!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
The Blimp
Private
Rep

So for the E88'ers out there that might also foolishly attempt to install an Alpine stereo retrofit into their car, this might come in handy to you (it would have for me).

Firstly, you unfortunately need to remove the entire rear seat (well, at least the seat base and back rest - which is quite fiddly. Undoing the fasteners that hold the head rests is annoying...and I'm so glad I don't have to do that again anytime soon.

Once the back rest is off, you can snoop for access points. I found a small gap in the back rest area and luckily it was perfect for routing the wiring.

Name:  IMG_4028.JPG
Views: 2802
Size:  594.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4030.JPG
Views: 1435
Size:  632.6 KB

There was a similar gap on the opposite side so it worked out well. I doubt that this would have been possible without taking off the rear seat.

This is amp installed in my car (notice the position of the rear back board position (how little space compared to E87 E82)

Name:  IMG_4031.JPG
Views: 1393
Size:  584.8 KB

This is a random E87 rear for comparison - would be so much easier to do this retrofit.

All i've got to do now is route the wiring through to the front footwells. Have to take the door sills off and pull the carpet it up a bit for the final wiring and hooking up of battery.

Now I'm going for a drink!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

Alternate path

Ran into the same problem with my E88 while trying to install a rear view camera. My final solution was not to try to go through the back, but to go up and over it... Put the top part way up and you can feed the wires up and over and back down. See my camera install here.
Don't know whether this would be appropriate fro other wiring, but maybe..
Appreciate 0