BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

My experience with Cool Carbon pads...

Well, I tried the Cool Carbon pads based on glowing recommendations here on 1addicts but I must say, I'm not impressed.

For strictly road driving these pads do a fine job. They are quiet and produce less dust than the stock pads.

On the track however, the OEM pads held up much better. I've driven the stock pads on 4 or 5 track days and they held up just fine. They would get overheated but still would perform at the same level after they were allowed to cool down. The CCs didn't make it through one session before getting roasted. Even after plenty of cool down time the pads were not performing after the initial overheating. They never performed even on the street after that day. I couldn't even get ABS to activate they were so bad. When they were replaced the mechanic pointed out that one of the front pads even had a crack running through it. It is a tough track on brakes but I expected the pads to perform at least as good as the OEM pads.

If you are only daily driving your car by all means purchase these pads, they are a better everyday pad than OEM.

Any sort of track use? Stay far away.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erich View Post
Well, I tried the Cool Carbon pads based on glowing recommendations here on 1addicts but I must say, I'm not impressed.

For strictly road driving these pads do a fine job. They are quiet and produce less dust than the stock pads.

On the track however, the OEM pads held up much better.
Interesting. I don't think I've seen that assessment before. I 've been getting four or five track days from Cool Carbons in front and twice that in back. Some much better drivers than I am have been getting longer life.

I haven't experienced any fade with CCs, but I got lots of fade with stock pads (last year - there's supposedly a new compound since then).

I did have vibration issues in back with two consecutive sets of CCs, but the current set (first set I installed myself) hasn't been vibrating so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

We have many customers using Cool Carbon pads without this sort of issue. Cool Carbon pads should easily make it thru multiple track sessions. They are sold as a street performance pad , but 4 to 5 track days seems pretty common. These pads will actually handle in excess of 1100F. It may be possible that pads became glazed. If they actually are overheating, it is likely there could be other contributing factors.

However Cool Carbon stands behind all product issues or defects. Please contact/PM us directly and we will see what may be done to resolve your issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Unfortunately I don't still have the pads but I appreciate the offer of finding a resolution. The crack was enough for me to decide to replace them. Like I said, my local track is hard on brakes so I suppose they just weren't cut out for what I was asking them to do. I haven't had this issue (glazing or especially cracking) with the OEM pad in the past.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't still have the pads but I appreciate the offer of finding a resolution. The crack was enough for me to decide to replace them. Like I said, my local track is hard on brakes so I suppose they just weren't cut out for what I was asking them to do. I haven't had this issue (glazing or especially cracking) with the OEM pad in the past.
Next time look into the Ferodo DS2500's, they are not a street pad, but more of a "Rally" and "Clubsport" and can handle more heat than street pads.

If you must use a street pad, have a look at Stoptech's Street Performance and Porterfield R4S, they will hold up to some light track sessions.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
EAS
Rep

Quote:
Well we tried to help; it is possible to glaze pads by bringing heat into them too fast initially. Glazing can be removed fairly easily with emery or sand paper however. We generally don't see many cracking issues, but actually not real unusual for pads that see track usage; we've seen multiple surface cracks on full track pads such as the Pagid family of formulas in the past but no worries. Some of our newer production is starting to come with slots in the friction surface that allow a path for stress/ cracking much like the lines in a sidewalk.

Sorry we could not be of greater help, but please keep us in mind for future reference.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by david @ eas View Post
it is possible to glaze pads by bringing heat into them too fast initially.
Not sure if it's related, but as I mentioned earlier, I had vibration problems with CCs that were installed by a performance shop and by my dealer, but I didn't have problems when I installed them myself. I'm skeptical that either shop really did the elaborate bedding in procedure specified for CCs:

1. Perform 10 to 15 partial stops from 65 mph to 10 mph without coming to a stop, with the first 3 under moderate braking, increasing to 75% to 90% of full braking during the series of stops.
2. Let the brakes cool by driving at high speeds with little if any braking
3. Repeat

After I did terrorize my neighborhood this way, the Cool Carbons worked perfectly. (I substituted 100 mph to 40 mph partial stops because going slower than 40 on the highway is practically impossible.)

Last edited by GaryS; 10-03-2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
EAS
Rep

Thanks for the update and glad the vibration issue was solved with proper bedding. The Cool Carbons have been excellent for us on and off the track and for many customers as well. The vibration issue mentioned have been minimal and generally caused either by insufficient bedding or material transfer/pad print issues (usually again from bedding practice).

The formula was intended originally as a street performance only, but after much testing and as more members began to use them on the track, we realized that the CC pads actually held up quite well on the track and that we actually had a very good dual use pad. They will handle temperatures over 1100F, which is very high for a dual use pad, and they are extremely fade resistant, but again not a full track pad nor intended for use with slicks.

The friction level of the CC pads will actually increase with heat. They also will wear at a faster rate under track usage but 5 to 7 track days in addition to daily driving is not at all unusual for Cool Carbons. For any track junkies, we suggest to go with dedicated track pads. There are many good track alternatives but be prepared to put up with some increase in noise and rotor wear.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

OP I'm curious if you were being harder on the brakes knowing that you had aftermarket pads vs. the stocks, and working them like you'd expect a full on track pad to perform?

just a thought that crossed my mind.