BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #199
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Does anyone have any details on the "ten year warranty" thing, for those whose cars are not being recalled?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #200
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Question Pesky Vanos Bolts!

I received a letter from BMW in July about the problem, and it said they'd contact me when the bolts arrived at the dealership. Well it's the middle of October and no word.

I did call BMW, but they said the bolts were on their way! From Germany by boat? I recently checked with my SA, and he said they were in! Doesn't BMW like me anymore indicated by no second letter. Bad BMW!

BTW, on the 135i N55 engine, the only engine in this safety recall, the Vanos bolts hold the camshaft gear to the Vanos unit, the hydraulic-mechanical gizmo that advances or retards the camshaft. There are only 4 bolts doing this important job.

This is a serious safety issue which forced BMW to make the recall. I wonder what would have been their response if it wasn't? In any case, if these bolts break and the cam gears slip, the engine will stop running and even worse, the remnants of the bolts could end up visiting various parts of your engine!

Imagine if you are on a busy freeway in the middle traffic lane where you can't quickly pull to the side of the road and the engine quits?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #201
NickDHdfc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Just got my car back from getting the recall done...got 5 miles down the road and the car threw the half engine light and the service engine soon was blinking. Car went into limp mode and was idling really rough until she eventually stalled out. She got brought right back. Having a really hard time finding a reputable bmw dealership in my area
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #202
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDHdfc View Post
Just got my car back from getting the recall done...got 5 miles down the road and the car threw the half engine light and the service engine soon was blinking. Car went into limp mode and was idling really rough until she eventually stalled out. She got brought right back. Having a really hard time finding a reputable bmw dealership in my area
Keep us updated on what the dealer messed up. After getting my recall done, my idle is much rougher than before. I'm surprised i have not had a check engine light yet...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #203
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

So far, so good after getting my vanos bolts recall done. Nothing seems different. Yes, please keep us updated.
      10-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #204
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Maybe the ten year warranty is the better option, especially if you have a 128. Chances are nothing will go wrong, and the dealer won't have a chance to mess your car up.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #205
NickDHdfc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Car just had a vacuum leak, i dont know what from. Everything was fixed and running fine now
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #206
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Car just had a vacuum leak, i dont know what from. Everything was fixed and running fine now
From messing up the reassembly of your engine after the VANOS bolt recall. Commonly it's a ridiculously brittle plastic on the N55's PCV system, or one of the vacuum hoses that go from the boost control solenoid to the valve cover.

It happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #207
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Maybe the ten year warranty is the better option, especially if you have a 128. Chances are nothing will go wrong, and the dealer won't have a chance to mess your car up.
A ten-year warranty? I think you are confused, only Hyundai offers such a thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #208
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSG View Post
A ten-year warranty? I think you are confused, only Hyundai offers such a thing.
I heard that BMW is supposed to be giving a ten year extended warranty on the VANOS for some cars not being recalled.

That's all I know, which is why I asked the question aimed at anyone knowing more. It's not unprecedented for a manufacturer to extend the warranty for a particular item.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #209
jdlivxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Just took mine in today. Sa joked about not finding the bolts and getting a new motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #210
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Got mine done today, about three weeks earlier than expected. Had an issue opening the hood of my car, so when I made the appt. my SA said he'd do the recall while he was at it because he had the parts. Got good news from him also as my engine got a clean bill of health. He said there was hardly any carbon build up when the popped they head. Not a bad thing for 2 yrs. old, 32K miles and NO earthly idea how it was treated by the 1 previous owner until now (evidently, pretty well).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:10 AM   #211
jdlivxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus
Quote:
From messing up the reassembly of your engine after the VANOS bolt recall. Commonly it's a ridiculously brittle plastic on the N55's PCV system, or one of the vacuum hoses that go from the boost control solenoid to the valve cover.

It happens.
Same thing happened to me. Drove around the corner, as soon as boost hit, light came on. Dealer ran diagnosis and fixed it quickly.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #212
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post

It happens.
It's not VANOS recall-related, but I was wondering what part of the N55's PCV system you'd consider to be brittle. I installed an oil catch can and *think* I might have cracked the flange on the plastic air duct where the OCC returns prior to the turbo. I'm not sure how I would test to see if there's any air leaking into the system there.

I've got some weird timing things going on with my PTF E-tune that I'm really hoping is VANOS-related and gets fixed with the recall.

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #213
Jonemw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aw 11 135 msport

my vanos recall story

Got letter back in July, like many. Zero followup since. so, when service indicator came up for brake fluid low, called and made appt. Asked about Vanos, they said sure , we are doing them all the time.??? Also asked about DCT update, maps update, ppk1, and more.
When I arrived at my appt, the SA writes me up, then asks, what sort of issue are you having with DCT? I quietly replied " you know what the issue is,it is well known and common. " At that moment, every head in area went up, all activity stopped, and every other SA(about six at desks) was listening intently. My Sa just resumed keying info. It should be noted that I specified the August 2014 software update, but my DCT has only screwed up once in 4 years, so I really do not have an issue, but based on discussion on this board, SIB 12-15-14 is a good update and does not emasculate the car.
I ended up not doing this however, as it would have reloaded everything and I have custom programming.
They gave me a loaner, a 12 miles old 3 series GT, I had it for three days over a weekend while they finished up my car. Vanos bolts and Vanos exhaust unit replaced, brakes fixed and car was found to be perfect otherwise.
You can add the GT to the list of cars to never EVER consider, what a POS. Barely knew I was driving a BMW, horrible steering, too many buttons, too much fancy display info, mundane interior , I could go on and on, never got over 19mpg even in ECO/pro mode, felt large and cumbersome, but wow, it can hold a lot of groceries, the ultimate grocery (driving machine) getter.....
So, vanos repairs are happening, you just need to be proactive. I also got an appt out of this for airbag replacement on my E46, same story, got letter, no followup ever.
Almost forgot, when I picked up the car, found BMW plush Teddy bear and 8gb key fob/carbon fibre USB stick on front seat- free gifts since they cannot sell those part numbers anyway.

Last edited by Jonemw; 11-08-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #214
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonemw View Post
When I arrived at my appt, the SA writes me up, then asks, what sort of issue are you having with DCT? I quietly replied " you know what the issue is,it is well known and common. " At that moment, every head in area went up, all activity stopped, and every other SA(about six at desks) was listening intently.
Oh please, I don't believe your story for a second. No one perked up or cared about your dramatic complaint. I've seen 2-3 concerns about DCT software and worked on hundreds. The real "well known and common" issue with your transmission is the top sealing sleeve leaking fluid after 30-40k miles. Requires dropping the transmission.

Just act like a normal human being and please don't be a nutjob customer when you take your car in for service. Curb your ego, remember these forums are wildly detached from reality, and explain your concerns with as much detail as possible like a sane human being.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #215
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep

Anyone have a strong fuel smell coming from the engine bay after the work....?

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #216
Jonemw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

my vanos recall story

Got letter back in July, like many. Zero followup since. so, when service indicator came up for brake fluid low, called and made appt. Asked about Vanos, they said sure , we are doing them all the time.??? Also asked about DCT update, maps update, ppk1, and more.
When I arrived at my appt, the SA writes me up, then asks, what sort of issue are you having with DCT? I quietly replied " you know what the issue is,it is well known and common. " At that moment, every head in area went up, all activity stopped, and every other SA(about six at desks) was listening intently. My Sa just resumed keying info. It should be noted that I specified the August 2014 software update, but my DCT has only screwed up once in 4 years, so I really do not have an issue, but based on discussion on this board, SIB 12-15-14 is a good update and does not emasculate the car.
I ended up not doing this however, as it would have reloaded everything and I have custom programming.
They gave me a loaner, a 12 miles old 3 series GT, I had it for three days over a weekend while they finished up my car. Vanos bolts and Vanos exhaust unit replaced, brakes fixed and car was found to be perfect otherwise.
You can add the GT to the list of cars to never EVER consider, what a POS. Barely knew I was driving a BMW, horrible steering, too many buttons, too much fancy display info, mundane interior , I could go on and on, never got over 19mpg even in ECO/pro mode, felt large and cumbersome, but wow, it can hold a lot of groceries, the ultimate grocery (driving machine) getter.....
So, vanos repairs are happening, you just need to be proactive. I also got an appt out of this for airbag replacement on my E46, same story, got letter, no followup ever.
      11-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #217
Jonemw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Silenus, I don't care if you believe it or not, I have nothing better to do except sit around and spin stories on the internet-right. The fact that they then proceeded to write up the work order correctly without my detailed input shows they knew EXACTLY what I referred to. I also did not mention that since I was 33 days early for the annual oil change, they initially refused to do it. That also took additional discussion, but was ultimately approved. At no time did I raise my voice, demonstrate attitude or hassle anyone. I just get tired of them playing stupid about things that have had at least two significant software updates in the last few years, and that applies to all models with DCT, not just our 1ers. I also get tired of them always assuming the customer is stupid, or the very least ignorant about everything.
The SA did his job TEh car was corrected per my instructions, and all is good.
      11-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #218
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

I got a ten year warranty on the VANOS, instead of the repair.

Received a letter (back) dated August 2014. It covers the VANOS only, as is transferable to any future owner. Loaded with flowery language about how this represents BMW's commitment to their owners.

A mixed bag. On the one hand a couple of people here have been less than happy with BMW tearing into a seemingly good engine. On the other hand there is some worry about breaking down in the middle of nowhere. It would be nice to have this over and done with.

I'm curious about how many people listed in the original recall announcement got the repair, and how many the ten year warranty. The breakout between N52 128s and N54 and N55 135s. I think I'll start a poll.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 11-18-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #219
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
Oh please, I don't believe your story for a second. No one perked up or cared about your dramatic complaint. I've seen 2-3 concerns about DCT software and worked on hundreds. The real "well known and common" issue with your transmission is the top sealing sleeve leaking fluid after 30-40k miles. Requires dropping the transmission.

Just act like a normal human being and please don't be a nutjob customer when you take your car in for service. Curb your ego, remember these forums are wildly detached from reality, and explain your concerns with as much detail as possible like a sane human being.
I have ditched at least three SA's with your same kind of attitude (the customer is stupid, you know EVERYTHING, so I won't listen). You remind me of the SM (yes, Service MANAGER) that my former Audi's DSG issue got escalated to after the 5th time my DSG threw itself into free-rev and almost got me broadsided by a loaded dump truck. The SA and SM both had the same kind of attitude. I explained over and over again, previously on visits for the same issue, that they needed to talk to someone, get informed about the known issue at hand, and find out the progress on the update that was in beta at the time (some owners had actually gotten it while in beta). They denied and denied and then finally lied to me telling me they had called for support on it and there was no known issue. You should've seen the look on the SM's face when I showed up two months later for my scheduled maint. and my SA had just informed me the update I had been telling them about was available for my car. He apologized for his ignorance and lack of action...so did the SM (behind closed doors in his office).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #220
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

juat checked my #VIN I'm in the clear.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0