BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

E82 CCC LCD screen totally blurred

Hi,

My LCD screen is dying, it happens more and more, when i start the car, the mecanical screen open and it's totally blurred (can't read anything, there are like "waves"). Sometimes it works, sometime it half works (some waves on some sides, but i can read things) and sometimes it's totally unreadable.

I just remember the first time it happened was when i took a bump on the road, it made a little shock and the screen became blurry, the next day it was working again.

So I wonder if the connector cable between screen and CCC unit can be a bit off, or if the screen itself is almost broken, or worst if the "graphic" card of the unit has a problem and not the LCD ? Anyway to diagnose ?

I searched online and the LCD part is expensive (used) but there are also solutions like android unit that include a new screen for almost the same price of a used flat lcd screen.

If the graphic card inside is broken, i guess that changing the screen will not resolve the problem.

Any hint appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

If it's a burnt out GPU then there isn't much you can do than look for a replacement. I would check scrap yard sites for a cheaper second hand one.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:10 AM   #3
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
If it's a burnt out GPU then there isn't much you can do than look for a replacement. I would check scrap yard sites for a cheaper second hand one.
Yes I am afraid of that but at this stage, i don't know yet what's wrong, so i will download this video, and will try to inspect connectors and cables first :

If no better, i will order the Android lcd screen first because i wanted it anyway... and then if no better, then i will need a new CCC unit, worst case.
Appreciate 0