BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

The only thing about the blown struts comment is that the OP said he liked the ride height from the beginning with his old combo, so it's not like the ride height changed and then he liked it.
      02-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #24
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
... liked the ride height from the beginning ...
Yeah good point.

Are the old struts still around? In the trash pile at the installer perhaps? Maybe grab them, and then pull a wheel off the car as it sits now, and do some measurements. I.e. between the lower spring perch and where the strut tubes disappear into the suspension arm / knuckle / hole.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #25
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

I found these pics from the day of the original install. The car was 6 months old, so all components were pretty new. Looking at them now I def think the car sits higher than my most recent pics. So maybe time will just settle the car. Thanks for (almost) all the comments.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
rowsdower640.50
Esteban43345.00
      02-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #26
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
I found these pics from the day of the original install. The car was 6 months old, so all components were pretty new. Looking at them now I def think the car sits higher than my most recent pics. So maybe time will just settle the car. Thanks for (almost) all the comments.
Good looking car. I like your visual upgrades. The Performance side skirts are a nice touch.
      02-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #27
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

from a thread I started a while ago.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1436998
      02-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #28
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Interesting, now I understand why I got a deduct for installing new front control arms at the same time as the shocks. Thanks for posting that.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #29
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good looking car. I like your visual upgrades. The Performance side skirts are a nice touch.

Thanks. The hollowed out side skirts reduce what some have called the "sow belly" look that the car has from some angles. Together with the front carbon splitter it's looks pretty damn cool. When I had my alignment done today the guy asked it it was a 1M. Ha, if only.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #30
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. The hollowed out side skirts reduce what some have called the "sow belly" look that the car has from some angles. Together with the front carbon splitter it's looks pretty damn cool. When I had my alignment done today the guy asked it it was a 1M. Ha, if only.
I think the "pot-bellied-pig" line adds character to our little cars. Oink! lol

Did you ever think of adding blackline taillights? Would look great on your AW 1er. Plus would eliminate some of that red.
      02-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #31
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post

from a thread I started a while ago.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1436998
Entropy.
      02-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #32
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
The analysis of your problem is ridiculously simple.

Before the installation of the new struts/shocks, the ride height was satisfactory. Now with the installation of the new struts, the car rides higher.

Yes the springs determine the ride height, and you didn't change the springs. So what has changed? The answer is the new struts. Did you bother to compare the new stuff to the old? I can't think of any thing your mechanic could have done to cause the problem.

BTW, I agree the second picture looks OEM!
This guy is a stable genius. Nothing to see here.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #33
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

I'm very proud to be a called a troll!

Quote:
Ignoring your insult, here's a bit of background:
- I've been "screwing around" with my rides for several decades and I do some of my own wrenching. My previous suspension setup was perfect for my use.

- I triple checked the Koni parts no.s for my car on BavAuto, Tire Rack and Turner Motorsport. I ordered from Tire Rack because they had the best price and were in stock.

In conclusion, these are the correct shocks for my car. I have reached out to TR and Koni for comment on the ride height issue.
I'm going to instruct you little fellows, and after I'm done you'll be perhaps a little smarter.

First, the aftermarket caters to idiots who think they can improve there rides with the addition of parts. The worst offenders of this syndrome are those who insist on replacing shocks and struts. German cars for all their faults which there are many have virtues in several areas. The coachwork, suspension systems, and steering systems are first rate. The Germans fail down in areas like electronics and various gizmos associated with comfort.

These cars don't need shock or strut replacements. These part are good for the life of the car. Do any of you know what a shock does? Suppose you had a car without shocks just springs? When you went over a bump, the car would just bounce up down. Shock damps these oscillations, so the car settles down almost immediately.

When you go over a big bump or deep pot hole does the vehicle bounce around? If it doesn't, you are wasting your money replacing shocks/struts.

Now let me tell you about a recent experience in parts confusion. I ordered a oil change kit for an automatic transmission in one of my rides. When I got it, it didn't seem quite right. The production date of my car was a month or two away from a new version of my car which had a redesigned transmission. It used an entirely different kind of transmission oil, and that's what I got. If I had used it, it would have destroyed my transmission.

Many of you insist on modifying your rides thinking you are smarter than the engineers who designed the vehicle. You aren't and never will be. Leave things alone and learn to identify parts that wear out and replace them.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #34
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to instruct you little fellows, and after I'm done you'll be perhaps a little smarter.
You have a point, but your assumptions are only half right - some people know a lot and are modifying for a reason. To think the 135i was perfect right out of the box in every way is also ignorant, and that seems to be what you want us to believe. There are things said engineers had to compromise on for the average person they expected to buy the car and these things have been well sorted over the decade since the car debuted. By your logic we should all be running run-flats, dealing with the clutch delay valve, getting used to a rubber band rear end caused by the OEM rear subframe bushings, and so forth.

Also, your delivery could use a little work. Little fellows? You're making us smarter? Huh.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:21 PM   #35
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

First, the aftermarket caters to idiots who think they can improve there rides with the addition of parts. The worst offenders of this syndrome are those who insist on replacing shocks and struts. German cars for all their faults which there are many have virtues in several areas. The coachwork, suspension systems, and steering systems are first rate. The Germans fail down in areas like electronics and various gizmos associated with comfort.

These cars don't need shock or strut replacements. These part are good for the life of the car. Do any of you know what a shock does? Suppose you had a car without shocks just springs? When you went over a bump, the car would just bounce up down. Shock damps these oscillations, so the car settles down almost immediately.

When you go over a big bump or deep pot hole does the vehicle bounce around? If it doesn't, you are wasting your money replacing shocks/struts.

Now let me tell you about a recent experience in parts confusion. I ordered a oil change kit for an automatic transmission in one of my rides. When I got it, it didn't seem quite right. The production date of my car was a month or two away from a new version of my car which had a redesigned transmission. It used an entirely different kind of transmission oil, and that's what I got. If I had used it, it would have destroyed my transmission.

Many of you insist on modifying your rides thinking you are smarter than the engineers who designed the vehicle. You aren't and never will be. Leave things alone and learn to identify parts that wear out and replace them.

Thanks for the lecture but you are obviously missing a vital piece of information in my original post. I have been happy with my suspension changes since the car was almost new back in 09. The combination of non-runflats, Eibach springs and Koni FSD shocks served me well for all this time. The car cornered flatter, soaked up the bumps better and looked pretty bitching to boot. Any stock car is a compromise, designed and engineered to meet the expectations of a wide range of owners. I simply pushed mine a little in the direction I wanted to be in.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #36
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Happy Jose I always look forward to reading your posts, you are obviously the smartest person on these forums. If only there were more like you. 🙄
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #37
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I only have 1 person on my ignore list ... it works well, until everyone quotes and feeds
Appreciate 3
Gangplank1539.50
dtla1827.50
      02-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #38
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Intimidating... lol
Attached Images

02-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #39
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ignoring your insult, here's a bit of background:
- I've been "screwing around" with my rides for several decades and I do some of my own wrenching. My previous suspension setup was perfect for my use.

- I triple checked the Koni parts no.s for my car on BavAuto, Tire Rack and Turner Motorsport. I ordered from Tire Rack because they had the best price and were in stock.

In conclusion, these are the correct shocks for my car. I have reached out to TR and Koni for comment on the ride height issue.

I read the first sentence and stopped. I can do without your arrogant wisdom.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #40
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
You have a point, but your assumptions are only half right - some people know a lot and are modifying for a reason. To think the 135i was perfect right out of the box in every way is also ignorant, and that seems to be what you want us to believe. There are things said engineers had to compromise on for the average person they expected to buy the car and these things have been well sorted over the decade since the car debuted. By your logic we should all be running run-flats, dealing with the clutch delay valve, getting used to a rubber band rear end caused by the OEM rear subframe bushings, and so forth.

Also, your delivery could use a little work. Little fellows? You're making us smarter? Huh.
No doubt BMW is considering you for a position in their engineering dept?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #41
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1eddy View Post
I read the first sentence and stopped. I can do without your arrogant wisdom.
I can completely do without you en total!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #42
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No doubt BMW is considering you for a position in their engineering dept?
Oh, burn, You really just don't have a clue, do you? Do you not think their engineers compromise? Do you not think some people prefer the changes that their modifications brought about? Do you not think some things have improved over time when it comes to replacement part options? Do you not think that non-M cars can benefit from some M parts? Do you still have stock RFT's as the engineers obviously thought were the very best? Enjoying your stock RSFB's or CDV? The idea that you think nothing can be improved is silly.

Not sure why I'm bothering. You've combined a little each of several logical fallacies with your statement, making it somewhat clear you're trolling. So - good luck with yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #43
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Oh, burn, You really just don't have a clue, do you? Do you not think their engineers compromise? Do you not think some people prefer the changes that their modifications brought about? Do you not think some things have improved over time when it comes to replacement part options? Do you not think that non-M cars can benefit from some M parts? Do you still have stock RFT's as the engineers obviously thought were the very best? Enjoying your stock RSFB's or CDV? The idea that you think nothing can be improved is silly.

Not sure why I'm bothering. You've combined a little each of several logical fallacies with your statement, making it somewhat clear you're trolling. So - good luck with yourself.
Do you get some sort of pleasure with your drooling prose? Your rhetoric is just plain nonsense with no substance or basis in fact.

I won't humiliate you with my credentials, but I'm pretty sure yours are at the Burger King University!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #44
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

User CP
Edit Ignore List
Happy Jose
Okay

Pretty easy!