BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #13817
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
DE season starts in a few weeks at NJMP, put a set of Quickfit Pro harnesses in. Great fitment, easy install.

Looking forward to putting them to the test in March!

Attachment 2246546

PLEASE rethink this, if you enjoy walking.

The better and much safer option is to adjust your seat back, lock the seatbelt and move the seat forward. That will hold you in place and it won't crush your spine like your current setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #13818
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I like the M3 cluster for it's simplicity. I wish it didn't have the M logo, but I'll take it, it makes some passengers ask questions I like answering. Sorry about the bad picture, I didn't take the photo and we were obviously moving at a clip...

Attachment 2240469

I just caught that the cruise indicator is working.
Did you have to code for it or did it just work?

Also, I think I'd seen that the M3 cluster has the shift light intensity thing (green, yellow, red); does that work?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #13819
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Quote:
I like the M3 cluster for it's simplicity. I wish it didn't have the M logo, but I'll take it, it makes some passengers ask questions I like answering. Sorry about the bad picture, I didn't take the photo and we were obviously moving at a clip...

Attachment 2240469

I just caught that the cruise indicator is working.
Did you have to code for it or did it just work?

Also, I think I'd seen that the M3 cluster has the shift light intensity thing (green, yellow, red); does that work?
I had to code the cruise indicator. I only think the DCT M3 had the shift lights, and that retrofit only works with DCT cars.
iminhell13907.00
      02-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #13820
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:

The better and much safer option is to adjust your seat back, lock the seatbelt and move the seat forward. That will hold you in place and it won't crush your spine like your current setup.
I believe that if used correctly with a HANS device, this is a much safer setup than the three point. The Schroth quick fit Pro is compatible with a HANS but not the quick-fit one. It only works if you use the one that’s MEANT for your make/model car. They don’t make it for a lot of models.

Planning on getting one myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #13821
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
I believe that if used correctly with a HANS device, this is a much safer setup than the three point. The Schroth quick fit Pro is compatible with a HANS but not the quick-fit one. It only works if you use the one that’s MEANT for your make/model car. They don’t make it for a lot of models.

Planning on getting one myself.

HANS is for neck, not compression of the spine. It's still going to cripple you.

The problem is the angle of the belt along with there being no crush support in the seat.
The shoulder belt is for holding you back, not down.
The lap belt is for holding you down, not back.
It's done this way because there is no chance of compressing your spine.

But even paraplegic's get IG likes so do as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SCCA March 2020 rules
A. The shoulder harness shall be the over the shoulder type. There shall be a single release common to
the seat belt and shoulder harness. When mounting belts and harnesses it is recommended that they
be kept as short as reasonably possible to minimize stretch when loaded in an accident.
The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and supported above a line drawn downward
from the shoulder point at an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. The seat itself, or anything added
only to the seat shall not be considered a suitable guide. Guides must be a part of the roll cage or a part
of the car structure.
Only separate shoulder straps are permitted. (“Y” type shoulder straps are not allowed.) “H” type
configuration is allowed.
page 73

Now that is talking about 5/6/7 point with a cage, but the shoulder strap angle is the takeaway here. It's also pretty much a motorsport standard.

Last edited by iminhell1; 02-29-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
1and11851.50
      02-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #13822
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Whats the best day to day combo? Recaros and a 3 point?

Quote:
HANS is for neck, not compression of the spine. It's still going to cripple you.

The problem is the angle of the belt along with there being no crush support in the seat.

page 73

Now that is talking about 5/6/7 point with a cage, but the shoulder strap angle is the takeaway here. It's also pretty much a motorsport standard.
      02-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #13823
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:

page 73

I meant to just give my opinion of it, and not to argue about it or anything like that. We all do our own research and go for what we think is “safest.” I agree about what the excerpt you posted said, nothing beats a harness bar, roll cage and non-movable race seat with a 5/6/7 point. But for enthusiasts who cannot afford to strip their car and install these, these 4 points might just be a little bit more efficient for its intended use. As long as the OEM seat back is tested, the harness makes use of the car’s safety devices such as airbags and seat tensioners. Just my own two cents.

Last edited by $iriu$black; 02-29-2020 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #13824
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, Tundra, B8S4

Interesting harness topic ... essentially paraphrased/plagiarized a conversation from another forum in the next paragraph, but it jives with my thought process. I'll be using QuickFits in my autocross car (cageless and with stock seats for now) - this is my choice (not a recommendation) after prolonged consideration.

'Schroth has claimed that in their experience those fitted with harnesses fared better than those fitted without (3 point seatbelt), cage or no cage. Through tests and research they stated that most injuries during track crashes are caused by the person going out through the drivers window, hitting ones head on the roof once the car has turned on its roof (not crushing, but falling out of the seat with 3 point belts), and impacts from the side - pushing the person out of the 3 point belt (which are designed primarily for front impacts and are pretty useless for side impacts). A proper harness in these situations is much safer.'

'Proper' may very likely mean with shoulder belts anchored at the appropriate angle, but my general interpretation is harness >3 point.

I'll also readily acknowledge that modern vehicles with properly worn 3 point belts and a full compliment of airbags do an amazing job of protecting their occupants....it astounds me at work in the fire department at least a couple times a month.

Last edited by SKI-R; 02-29-2020 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #13825
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-R View Post
Interesting harness topic ... essentially paraphrased/plagiarized a conversation from another forum in the next paragraph, but it jives with my thought process. I'll be using QuickFits in my autocross car (cageless and with stock seats for now) - this is my choice (not a recommendation) after prolonged consideration.

'Schroth has claimed that in their experience those fitted with harnesses fared better than those fitted without (3 point seatbelt), cage or no cage. Through tests and research they stated that most injuries during track crashes are caused by the person going out through the drivers window, hitting ones head on the roof once the car has turned on its roof (not crushing, but falling out of the seat with 3 point belts), and impacts from the side - pushing the person out of the 3 point belt (which are designed primarily for front impacts and are pretty useless for side impacts). A proper harness in these situations is much safer.'

'Proper' may very likely mean with shoulder belts anchored at the appropriate angle, but my general interpretation is harness >3 point.

I'll also readily acknowledge that modern vehicles with properly worn 3 point belts and a full compliment of airbags do an amazing job of protecting their occupants....it astounds me at work in the fire department at least a couple times a month.
I’m with you. This setup isn’t an improvised device but rather a specific harness meant only for the specific model car. I don’t believe it’s a one-size-fits-all fitment which makes me feel better. But hey, maybe I’m just justifying my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #13826
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
I have to think that a properly mathed out & installed 4 or 5 point harness configuration will be safer than a street stock OE 3 point configuration.

Properly mathed out & installed being the key here. Both shoulders, and not crushing the spine.

Installing a harness, Schroth or whomever, incorrectly, and relying on it as a life saving device is stoopidity incarnate.

For grins & giggles I've attached the Schroth E82 install guide.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E82-E92_QuickFit_Instructions.pdf (1.20 MB, 74 views)
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #13827
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Got an update and ETA for the steering wheel. Should be done this week and shipped from the Ukraine. Now I just have to figure out who I'm going to have do the gauge hood and what I'm going to do with the dash itself. I got quotes on full alcantara and leather. Waiting in NRW to shoot me an estimate for full carbon
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #13828
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

I'd love to see the crash test data from any aftermarket seatbelt. ANY.
Appreciate 1
1and11851.50
      02-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #13829
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
I'd love to see the crash test data from any aftermarket seatbelt. ANY.
So would I! Mostly because crash testing is so cool...

I read that what makes the Quick-Fit line of harnesses safe is that they have "stretch" section that allows them to hold the occupant in place without being so rigid that they compress your spine. I think it's simply a stretch of belt folded over and sewn together. I did a fair bit of research before getting my Pro version (has provisions for an anti-sub strap), and deemed it safe enough for my tastes. If I ever go to slicks, the car will get a proper cage, harness, and seats to match, but that's a long ways off right now. I still need to be able to daily it
      02-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #13830
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So would I! Mostly because crash testing is so cool...

I read that what makes the Quick-Fit line of harnesses safe is that they have "stretch" section that allows them to hold the occupant in place without being so rigid that they compress your spine. I think it's simply a stretch of belt folded over and sewn together. I did a fair bit of research before getting my Pro version (has provisions for an anti-sub strap), and deemed it safe enough for my tastes. If I ever go to slicks, the car will get a proper cage, harness, and seats to match, but that's a long ways off right now. I still need to be able to daily it

Pretty sure my next outting I'll get talked to about not having a cage. So I'll have to do that, and a fire suit.
But these are things I want anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #13831
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

The quick fit has a breakaway strap on one side of the crossover similar to webbing in a climbing harness. In the event of sudden impact, it breaks away, so it allows part of your body to roll the same way a factory 3-point would, and will relieve vertical stress on the seat body.

The belts are DOT approved for a particular usage (in this case an E82, which is the car I'm driving).

These are not my everyday belts; and in all honesty, I'm less concerned about accidents at the track than I am driving on public roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #13832
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
The belts are DOT approved for a particular usage (in this case an E82, which is the car I'm driving).
This^

Quote:
These are not my everyday belts; and in all honesty, I'm less concerned about accidents at the track than I am driving on public roads.
I'd daily them if my skin was thick enough to take the pointing. I've never much liked retractable seat belts and much prefer the feeling of being "strapped in".
lab_rat394.50
      03-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #13833
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Got an update and ETA for the steering wheel. Should be done this week and shipped from the Ukraine. Now I just have to figure out who I'm going to have do the gauge hood and what I'm going to do with the dash itself. I got quotes on full alcantara and leather. Waiting in NRW to shoot me an estimate for full carbon
What's involved in replacing the dash cover?
      03-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #13834
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Quote:
What's involved in replacing the dash cover?
This is going to be a full dash replacement. Theyre going to do their carbon infusion process on a spare dash so that's it's all oem look and fit. I'm keeping all the vents and having them make sure there's an opening for the top Android unit. Steve said he can do a thinner carbon on certain parts for the best fit AND for the passenger side airbag will still be deployable. Ultimately the plan is to do the front and rear "door" panels in carbon and alcantara like the Revozport pieces. They don't do the rear panels for the E88

As far as the leather option, I was quoted $1400 for full leather wrapped dash by a guy that came highly recommended on from some friend. Goes by Sweidit on Instagram
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #13835
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
This is going to be a full dash replacement. Theyre going to do their carbon infusion process on a spare dash so that's it's all oem look and fit. I'm keeping all the vents and having them make sure there's an opening for the top Android unit. Steve said he can do a thinner carbon on certain parts for the best fit AND for the passenger side airbag will still be deployable. Ultimately the plan is to do the front and rear "door" panels in carbon and alcantara like the Revozport pieces. They don't do the rear panels for the E88

As far as the leather option, I was quoted $1400 for full leather wrapped dash by a guy that came highly recommended on from some friend. Goes by Sweidit on Instagram
Nice. Wonder if they can do it in the matte carbon composite instead of weave so it doesn't LOOK like CF.

My dash is F'ed. Definitely want to do the dash and all the door cards. Especially if it represents significant weight savings. I'd do it all when and if my evaporator needs replacing.
      03-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #13836
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Quote:

Nice. Wonder if they can do it in the matte carbon composite instead of weave so it doesn't LOOK like CF.

My dash is F'ed. Definitely want to do the dash and all the door cards. Especially if it represents significant weight savings. I'd do it all when and if my evaporator needs replacing.
NRW can do their infusion process with any of the fibers they offer. This would actually be adding some weight. They asked if I wanted a full mould of the dash done to have an entire carbon copy pulled but cost was wayyyyyy more. For a racecar it would make sense but for a show car it wouldn't. Mine is essentially just being "skinned" in carbon
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #13837
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
NRW can do their infusion process with any of the fibers they offer. This would actually be adding some weight. They asked if I wanted a full mould of the dash done to have an entire carbon copy pulled but cost was wayyyyyy more. For a racecar it would make sense but for a show car it wouldn't. Mine is essentially just being "skinned" in carbon
Yeah, I'll just have my dash stripped and trimmed in leather then.

No fatties.
low1352209.00
      03-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #13838
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep
Drives: Highway Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowar135 View Post
Thanks for the idea low135. The 1 thing about my 1er that has bugged me since day 1 (apart from the bonnet/bumper panel gap) is the...blackness of the interior.
Be grateful you don't have to deal with the '08 cup holder. Easily the worst engineering idea to come out of Germany