09-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #45
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post
Does the SSK primarily affect forward/backward shift movement or does left/right movement also get significantly changed?
On my N54, with the Perf SSK, the shifter throws and side to side movement was decreased. This is why BMW also changes the saddle or carrier that the shift lever sits in.

For N55 cars(incl 1M's) your not changing this carrier... so you can only change the throws(ie make them shorter) but you won't change the side to side throws/distance.

Btw... I see you have a Porsche 944... do you have a SSK on that car? The reason why I ask is bc I used to own a 944 Turbo with an Authority(APE, also very copied by many a Porsche tuning shops) SSK, and that was one of the nicest shifters I had driven. Better than a Miata or most race cars. I think the BMW Perf SSK is right up there with the APE SSK. APE made their short shifter kit adjustable for either a 30%/50% in BOTH throws and side to side action. I think thats what made it a great SSK. That and the fact they used spherical bearings instead of plastic or delrin bushings like some of their competition at that time.
      09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

Funny you should ask; the 944 in my garage was the development car driven by Al at Autothority which had the original APE SSK in it when I bought it from Autothority. If you had the Stage 2 chips, you may also have had the KLR chip I had developed for the 944T I built.
I would love to get my 1M to feel the same on the shifting as my 944 but if the internal are similar to the 944, I think the gate setup in the trans will need to be polished on the shifting fingers inside the trans to make the transitions smoother (mine has hung up a few times trying to downshift into 2nd if I go too fast).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #47
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Funny you should ask; the 944 in my garage was the development car driven by Al at Autothority which had the original APE SSK in it when I bought it from Autothority. If you had the Stage 2 chips, you may also have had the KLR chip I had developed for the 944T I built.
I would love to get my 1M to feel the same on the shifting as my 944 but if the internal are similar to the 944, I think the gate setup in the trans will need to be polished on the shifting fingers inside the trans to make the transitions smoother (mine has hung up a few times trying to downshift into 2nd if I go too fast).
Hey! I have also driven that car!! That was that light silver car with the gold BBS wheels back then. I remember when you had just bought that car Scott and you were overhauling the entire drive train! What a mess that was. I remember when Al lent me that car over night... and I said right then and there I MUST buy one of those things soon. But the insurance was a killer back then, so I had to wait a few years. I also remember Al popped out the 500 HP chips and let me limp around on 340 Hp. lol

I'm David, Larry's VW dealer buddy from Tyson Corner. I used to come by and hang out there all the time around '89- 95ish. I had a white VW Corrado G60 that we did the stage I/II and III chips on. And later I had a VR6 that you guys played around with. Small world.

APE also help me rebuild my '86 951's tranny(my car was also silver) when it blew 2nd gear apart in '95. You guys machined and installed a LSD(with 917 friction discs) in it for me. I had all your APE stage II chips, test pipe and your SSK. I forget the engineer who worked up front who later went to go to work for RennTech in FL. He was also a nice guy.

Btw... I heard Al is now selling CNC machines. Those were the gold old days when Al would blow up engines on the dyno just to see where their limits were.
      09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #48
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

Hey, and I was the one cleaning up the mess afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #49
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Hey, and I was the one cleaning up the mess afterwards.
Yea... I remember THAT quite well!!!

It's good to see you are hanging out around here. I am sure you will be of "use" to us, besides cleaning up.
      09-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #50
Piets94
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M

Thanks for posting Ian. From the photos, it doesn't look like the height change is too noticeable. Looks like a great mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #51
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Here you go, not the best photos, but shows before(left) and after(right)
- Height
- 1st
- 2nd
This is awesome! You can basically have the ssk with the original look for about 70 bucks. Did you install it yourself and do you have to from under the car?

How much is labor to do this?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #52
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Also curious about amount of labor
involved. Do you really have to drop driveshaft or mid pipes? Would a dealer do this and what would they charge?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #53
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M (Sold), M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Also curious about amount of labor
involved. Do you really have to drop driveshaft or mid pipes? Would a dealer do this and what would they charge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
This is awesome! You can basically have the ssk with the original look for about 70 bucks. Did you install it yourself and do you have to from under the car?

How much is labor to do this?
Labour was under 2 hours at the dealer. Yes have to drop the mids and drive shaft to get access.
      09-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #54
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, did you tell them to just install the lever? Or did they know? I would think they would hesitate since the kit is for the n54.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #55
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Thanks, did you tell them to just install the lever? Or did they know? I would think they would hesitate since the kit is for the n54.
I had to tell them that it wasn't the full kit and it would work to just install the lever. They were doubtful that it would install, but were later impressed with the result
      09-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #56
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Great, will give it a try. Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #57
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Can anyone who has done this mod do me a favor and measure the width of the gear selector rod joint (picture below) with some calipers? I'm looking for the overall width of that joint, including the width that the inner plastic bushing adds to it. The original or the short shift version should be the same, so either of them would work.
Attached Images

11-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #58
Daniu9394
China
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i /BMW 1M Coupe

Send a message via MSN to Daniu9394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Here you go, not the best photos, but shows before(left) and after(right)
- Height
- 1st
- 2nd
Hi, Ian:

I'm Dack's friend from China. I'm also trying to change my 1M's shift kit into a SSK, because I think the 1M's shift lever takes quite long distance to change gears.

Last week, I bought the RE Short Shift Kit and installed in my 1M, but I had some problems with the RE SSK. The problems are:
1. The shift lever is littile forward than the bmw original one (it is not locating centrally in N Gear),causing the Gaiter(cover) stretch straight when in R gear; And I can't get used to it because the gear postions has changed a lot.
2. The shift lever is a little higher than the before, also causing the Gaiter(cover) stretch straight when in R gear;
3. The biggest problem is that the R gear is hard to push in the right position. when installing, I found that the bottom of the shift lever was blocked by the holder underneath. Sometimes, the R gear will even come out by itselft.This is a big problem,which makes the R gear hard to put in.

Now, I don't want the RE SSK. I want to use the BMWP as well. Yes, if I only replace the shift lever into the BMWP shift lever, the distance of changing gear is definitely short than before.
1. But I wonder, as the pic you shown,the BMWP shift lever is about 2-cm higher than before, will this cause the gaiter stretch too straght when in R gear?
2. Is the BMWP shift lever still locating in center and straight when in N gear as before?
3. will the bottom of the shift lever touch anything of the shifting arm?
4. how about the force of changing gear comparing with the original?

thank you so much.

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #59
lazyd0c
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 f87 6MT

@Daniu9394

Has anyone tried this in a n55 135 yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #60
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyd0c View Post
@Daniu9394

a number of people have tried it, just search it up..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #61
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB LCI M2

Just ordered from Turner..To hard to resist this mod after all the positive feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #62
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
@Daniu9394

The 1M and the N55 135i's use the SAME transmission. So yes, it works. You only need the shift lever from the N54 Perf SSK or someone else's SSK.

Shifter Throws

N54 = 80mm's
Perf SSK = 55mm's
N55 & 1M = 70mm's

While that doesn't look like a huge difference... it is! The Perf SSK is so nice to use. I really love mine.
      04-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #63
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
While that doesn't look like a huge difference... it is! The Perf SSK is so nice to use. I really love mine.
Agree, should have come as factory no-cost option. Makes for a much more pleasurable gear change experience
      04-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #64
lazyd0c
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 f87 6MT

1 more question before I pull the trigger. How long does the process take from start to finish? I'm gonna have a shop do the install and trying to figure out the going labor costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #65
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
1 more question before I pull the trigger. How long does the process take from start to finish? I'm gonna have a shop do the install and trying to figure out the going labor costs.
Real A to Z time is about one hour. IF the guy is really slow maybe longer.

On my car they charged me one hours labor even though they needed to drop the mid pipe, center drive shaft and THEN replace the shift linkage and arm. On a N55 you only need to replace that shift arm... so you might not even need to drop all that stuff... provided the tech has some LONG needle nose pliers in his tool box.

here is what BMW says it should charge.... 1.0 hour's labor rate.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf shifter SSK install.pdf (997.3 KB, 761 views)
      04-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #66
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Real A to Z time is about one hour. IF the guy is really slow maybe longer.

On my car they charged me one hours labor even though they needed to drop the mid pipe, center drive shaft and THEN replace the shift linkage and arm. On a N55 you only need to replace that shift arm... so you might not even need to drop all that stuff... provided the tech has some LONG needle nose pliers in his tool box.

here is what BMW says it should charge.... 1.0 hour's labor rate.
+1 BMW dealership charged me 1.5 hrs. Drop drive shaft & mid pipes.