BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Alcohol in all it's forms is such as ethanol or methanol can have issues. One benefit of methanol is it keeps your from having to periodically walnut blast your intake.

When I was doing my mod buildup, I did all the supporting mods first (full bolt ons). Then I bought a Procede with meth kit. I installed the Procede and even with my LSD I could barely get the traction to the ground. I decided to skip meth and had my car custom flashed instead.

Cobb, GIAC flash, custom flash, or a piggyback such as JB4 or Procede will all get you close to 400 whp.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_wannabe View Post
my friend told me running e85 will eat up our fuel lines?? im not saying this is correct just bringing it up to be safe

wow thats it?? i already did my muffler and reasonator delete today, and changed my oil with mobil 1 0w40, and ordered my dci

now just debating on jb4 or cobb
You cant use 100% ethanol. A mixture is fine with the right tune. I run 35% ethanol with the rest 93 on my COBB E30 mapping. 100% ethanol would require some other parts... but that whole "eating the lines" is on older cars for the most part. newer cars use a mixture of ethanol already, so they have taken steps to work with it just fine.

That's it. everything else is BONE STOCK. Although, a suggestion, stick with the BMW oil at the dealer. Trust me...

Also, the debate is OVER, plug and play vs slice and dice. Get the COBB and be done with it. The support through COBB is jaw dropping. They have won me over for LIFE! This is now my 4th COBBed car ive owned. You want to talk about support?

I tried out a new map that I made myself. had fuel cut on the highway and EMAILED Josh on a SUNDAY. He went into the office, on a sunday, CALLED ME a MINUTE after I emailed him, and walked me though fixing it. I was good to go.

Just yesterday I asked for a daily driver map that was close to stock power, but since i had downpipes wouldnt throw a CEL. No PROBLEM! he emailed me a new map immediatley. I cant even begin to tell you how AWESOME COBB supports their customers and how awesome their products are. Do it.

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ

Last edited by 1911A145; 07-13-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
JB4, can't go wrong. Carefull with cxracing intercooler. I made a thread in vendor/buyer/seller feedback section.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
You cant use 100% ethanol. A mixture is fine with the right tune. I run 35% ethanol with the rest 93 on my COBB E30 mapping. 100% ethanol would require some other parts... but that whole "eating the lines" is on older cars for the most part. newer cars use a mixture of ethanol already, so they have taken steps to work with it just fine.

That's it. everything else is BONE STOCK. Although, a suggestion, stick with the BMW oil at the dealer. Trust me...

Also, the debate is OVER, plug and play vs slice and dice. Get the COBB and be done with it. The support through COBB is jaw dropping. They have won me over for LIFE! This is now my 4th COBBed car ive owned. You want to talk about support?

I tried out a new map that I made myself. had fuel cut on the highway and EMAILED Josh on a SUNDAY. He went into the office, on a sunday, CALLED ME a MINUTE after I emailed him, and walked me though fixing it. I was good to go.

Just yesterday I asked for a daily driver map that was close to stock power, but since i had downpipes wouldnt throw a CEL. No PROBLEM! he emailed me a new map immediatley. I cant even begin to tell you how AWESOME COBB supports their customers and how awesome their products are. Do it.
Cobb is great
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
M3_wannabe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Pulling the trigger on jb4 tommorow so we will see
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
M3_wannabe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
JB4, can't go wrong. Carefull with cxracing intercooler. I made a thread in vendor/buyer/seller feedback section.
Yea i read the review, it was great bro. It made me kind of iffy, but then again i will be paying a performance shop near me for the install along with the dp's
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Pulling the trigger on jb4 tommorow so we will see
Quote:
Yea i read the review, it was great bro. It made me kind of iffy, but then again i will be paying a performance shop near me for the install along with the dp's
I think you'll really like the JB4. Gauge high-jacking is great and the on the fly map switching is cool too. I think the CXRacing FMIC will work better with the 3 series. thats what your modding right? i did it in my garage with a hadfull of tools which made it harder and more frustrating. definitely do alot of research on the forum N54 tech.com there is so much good info there.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
M3_wannabe
First Lieutenant
Rep

No i have a 08 135i, and yea i cant wait to feel the difference in power.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Ah, updated what you drive i see.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #32
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' Sapphire Black M5

cx racing is kind of a hack job from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #33
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

VRSF might be a better option for an intercooler without spending $800+. AMS might still be on summer sale for $699 as well.
      07-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #34
lazyd0c
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G06/ '17 f87 6MT

I bought the ets FMIC 5" from mike n54tuning. Been great so far and it's economical.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #35
M3_wannabe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
Ah, updated what you drive i see.
yeaaa buddy and love it, i just ordered my bms intake, blackline lci tails, and jb4 other then that all i have done is muffler + reasonator delete my girl says it sounds like a loud ass airplane lol especially in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyd0c View Post
I bought the ets FMIC 5" from mike n54tuning. Been great so far and it's economical.
yea once i decide to pull the trigger im going to buy the intercooler and the downpipes together, i just spent like $1600 already so ima chill for a couple weeks lol
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #36
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

dont go with cxracing...they are cheap and make cheap stuff...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #37
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormzusmc View Post
dont go with cxracing...they are cheap and make cheap stuff...
it's not 'cheap' it's 'the right price'

an FMIC shouldn't be more than $500 for the tiny 'no cut' kits

$600 odd for the cxracing kit is exactly where it should be.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Check out the OpenFlash Tablet, $400 and the least aggressive stage 0 map made 80whp and 115wtq on a completely stock car. Plug and play just like Cobb, no need to go into the ecu box, a nice cheap alternative that provides some nice gains, always great to have more options. I don't think it's been spoken of much on this forum.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
it's not 'cheap' it's 'the right price'

an FMIC shouldn't be more than $500 for the tiny 'no cut' kits

$600 odd for the cxracing kit is exactly where it should be.
CXRacing is garbage.

The "No Cut" FMIC's that you say are "tiny", for instance ETS work very well. You cannot even begin to compare the build quality of an ETS intercooler to a cheap ebay unit. You pay for what you get. Sliding in a direct fit part that performs at the top level makes a lot more sense than a non-fitting, thrown together "kit". But if you are on a budget I guess you can only buy what your wallet allows. There are MANY cheap parts out there that are “WORTH” the money, but please, the CXRacing FMIC isn’t one of them.

Back to the OP, good luck with your parts. The more you mod the more you wont want to stop. But Downpipes and a "good" Intercooler is going to add your BIGGEST gains with the "right" tune. Plan on investing in tires...

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
M3_wannabe
First Lieutenant
Rep

yea i really dont like the reviews the cxracing intercooler is getting overall, i mean it gets the job done but money isnt the issue so i think im going to go another route
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #41
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
CXRacing is garbage.

The "No Cut" FMIC's that you say are "tiny", for instance ETS work very well. You cannot even begin to compare the build quality of an ETS intercooler to a cheap ebay unit. You pay for what you get. Sliding in a direct fit part that performs at the top level makes a lot more sense than a non-fitting, thrown together "kit". But if you are on a budget I guess you can only buy what your wallet allows. There are MANY cheap parts out there that are “WORTH” the money, but please, the CXRacing FMIC isn’t one of them.

in what way is it garbage?

the IC itself is massive, not bad pressure drop... it fits fine if you don't mind cutting, and it performs better than ANY other N54 intercooler kit.

yeah, they work 'well' if you're only going for mild power, and especially if you spray meth. they're teeny tiny intercoolers, you wouldn't catch them on any other tuned performance car.

it's not about budget for a lot of people, it's 'best performance'... you think the non-cut kits perform at 'the top level'? LOL,... especially with bigger turbo kits becoming a normal thing, they're nowhere-near sufficient. way WAY too small a surface area.

for less than the price of ANY of the shelf kit bar CXracing, you could get a custom made bell core... which would blow them all out of the water.

besides the fact it needs cutting, name one way in which it's not a good product?

Quote:
yea i really dont like the reviews the cxracing intercooler is getting overall, i mean it gets the job done but money isnt the issue so i think im going to go another route
if you want an intercooler that PERFORMS better than the CXracing one, you're going to have to go completely custom. still cheaper than any of the $1000 odd off the shelf ones

what bad reviews has it been getting though? i haven't read any other than 'performs excellently, difficult to fit'
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #42
Jai2008
Private
Rep

Quote:
CXRacing is garbage.

Back to the OP, good luck with your parts. The more you mod the more you wont want to stop. But Downpipes and a "good" Intercooler is going to add your BIGGEST gains with the "right" tune. Plan on investing in tires...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438549

Replaced ETS with the "big tom" / KL Racing intercooler, similar to the CX but its 0.5" thicker or something like that. Many post regarding the "Big Tom:, do a search.

If you don't mind doing some cutting and minor fabrication, its something to consider. Some of the highest HP N54 uses it.

If you are runing 91-93 octane, you will need meth or a very high reading dyno to hit 400whp. What you delta makes a big difference as-well. If you hit 400whp with a delta of 260 is a lot more impressive than say 290. At the end, dyno is more for tuning and its just a piece of paper. What you trap or your 60-130mph time will better indicate how much you are putting down.

I am in the 400whp club with 94 octane, mods are in sig.

Last edited by Jai2008; 07-16-2013 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #43
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
the IC itself is massive, not bad pressure drop... it fits fine if you don't mind cutting, and it performs better than ANY other N54 intercooler kit.

yeah, they work 'well' if you're only going for mild power, and especially if you spray meth. they're teeny tiny intercoolers, you wouldn't catch them on any other tuned performance car.
So... not a single other "performance" car on this forum, or in the world, runs an ETS other than me?

That's pretty funny considering on E85 mixed race tune I beat the shit out of my car and have never had heat soak issues with the ETS unit. I have had firsthand experience installing the CXRacing unit and it is cheap, crappy welds, and the install is a hack job.

Sure, if you want massive power a custom job that is much bigger will have to be made, but we are not talking about massive power. the OP is talking about 400WHP, and for the ETS unit is MORE than capable to do the job, and then some.

I’m not saying the CXRacing cant "cool" air, but it is just a "cheap" Chinese eBay intercooler that makes you cut, clamp, and looks like crap. But I guess a "bigger" intercooler is the only thing that matters to some people. "OMG ITS BIGGER IT MUST BE SUPERIOR"

There are many, MANY N54's making over 400RWHP using an ETS 5 inch or similar intercooler without issues.

YOU can use whatever you want on your car. I don’t care, nor do I need to justify anything for anyone. Buuuuuuut I am sure you and the few others that bought the CX FMIC will chime in on the "jaw dropping performance" of it.

BTW... How many "HIGH HP" 135's do you see on this site? are YOU making 600-700hp? I guess so many others think there tiny intercoolers are no good either they bought too, right?

I'm done. I'll wait for you to respond with links to try and justify your purchase. Unsubscribing…

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So... not a single other "performance" car on this forum, or in the world, runs an ETS other than me?

That's pretty funny considering on E85 mixed race tune I beat the shit out of my car and have never had heat soak issues with the ETS unit. I have had firsthand experience installing the CXRacing unit and it is cheap, crappy welds, and the install is a hack job.

Sure, if you want massive power a custom job that is much bigger will have to be made, but we are not talking about massive power. the OP is talking about 400WHP, and for the ETS unit is MORE than capable to do the job, and then some.

I’m not saying the CXRacing cant "cool" air, but it is just a "cheap" Chinese eBay intercooler that makes you cut, clamp, and looks like crap. But I guess a "bigger" intercooler is the only thing that matters to some people. "OMG ITS BIGGER IT MUST BE SUPERIOR"

There are many, MANY N54's making over 400RWHP using an ETS 5 inch or similar intercooler without issues.

YOU can use whatever you want on your car. I don’t care, nor do I need to justify anything for anyone. Buuuuuuut I am sure you and the few others that bought the CX FMIC will chime in on the "jaw dropping performance" of it.

BTW... How many "HIGH HP" 135's do you see on this site? are YOU making 600-700hp? I guess so many others think there tiny intercoolers are no good either they bought too, right?

I'm done. I'll wait for you to respond with links to try and justify your purchase. Unsubscribing…

serious performance car*

yeah, but the ETS is up to $1050 if you tick the two options. that's ludicrous... do you know how much that core actually costs? $250-$300.

most of the record N54 performance numbers have been set on a big tom (which is what the CX one is) intercooler you know?

>"HIGH HP" 135's do you see on this site?

a relatively small number, set to massively increase over the next 6-12 months

if you have a search around, with the smaller intercoolers, without meth, MOST people will suffer heat soak. it's simple physics.

surface area>volume/depth

yeah, the ETS will get you to 400whp

but the cxracing will get you there as well, it may not be 'omgperfectamazing111' but it will get you there, for less cost, and no added risk in the 'lower quality' really.

there is NO REASON to spend $1k on an intercooler for an N54.. unless it's a giant custom one for huge power... unless you want a no-cut kit, in which case you get the CHEAPEST available.
Appreciate 0