BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
04__STi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

135i or 08 STi or EVO X??

Man ! I cannot decide on which one i want! STi and EVO X will out handle the 135i but i think the 135i will end up being faster straight line...DECISIONS DECISIONS!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04__STi View Post
Man ! I cannot decide on which one i want! STi and EVO X will out handle the 135i but i think the 135i will end up being faster straight line...DECISIONS DECISIONS!
Dont be so sure the handling difference will be great my friend. A 335i without an LSD is not too far in slalom numbers from the new STI and EVO. The 135i will surely STOMP them both from any speed in stock application.
      01-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

^ Agreed.

It's a bit of a misnomer to say AWD will out handle a RWD car.

More grip - OK, but better handling - not usually.

AWD has a tendency to understeer.

BTW, I'm in the same boat, but the 135i is definitely in the lead.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

A lot of us are in the same boat. I've been to the Mitsu/Subie dealerships many many times. I do miss the last gen STI though. The new one is extremely capable but they say it has a lot of body roll.
      01-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04__STi View Post
I had a 04 STi modded: Spec C springs, steer rack bushings, upgraded brembo ventilated brakes and lines. While I love the shear power of the car I really found that the STi felt unnatural on the track. It pushed like crazy and then "clawed" like heck to get back online, yes I know these are the characteristics of AWD. I use to track with guys with a range of cars and I had the opportunity to swap cars. I can tell you, from my experience, that RWD car really felt a lot more fluid and thus better in terms of handling. I never drove an Evo so, can't compare.

Also, I found the finish on the STi lacking. I didn't expect it to be a luxury car, but when the car starts whistling at high speeds from the wind coming in the door jams, that's just not good enough.

I loved the STi, but if the 135 can compare performance I really think the 135 is a better car for me. Oh another plus, people won't stereotype you as a boy racer or ricer.

With that all said, I need some seat time in the 135 and evo before I could make a final choice, unless the Tii comes out, then I'm all over that.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

A lot of body roll and a lot of understeer.

It's priced better than the 135i or EVO up here, but it's in last place of the three for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
the STi felt unnatural on the track
Totally agree.

Although I don't have an STI, I do own a WRX wagon.

I used to track an S2K a great deal and loved it. When I got rid of it to buy a house, the WRX seemed like a good/less expensive choice.

Took it to the track a few times and hated it. AWD is boring on anything other than snow. It's just too easy/uninvolved to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
looking
Captain
Rep

^^
Ya, I think uninvolved was the word. I mean it was involving because of the power, but that was it. Once you got use to the power, it losses it's appeal.

Back then the STi was really a special car, in terms of power. It really was the first time "normal" car guys could reasonably afford a car with that kind of performance out of the box. Now 300 hp is almost standard in entry lux cars and most of these car are very welled tuned.

But you're about the fun in the Snow! 4 wheel drifting was VERY involving!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

I'm in the same boat. Went and looked at the '08 STi yesterday and loved it, I have yet to drive it though. The reports from new Evo X owners have been positive so I want to check that out when it's released as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
benchmark2020
Private
Rep
Drives:

I don't know about you guys but don't you think the STi and EVO don't look very good?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
looking
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loun80 View Post
I don't know about you guys but don't you think the STi and EVO don't look very good?
I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder for all 3 of the cars. I don't think any of them are out right ugly but none of them are out right gorgeous either
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder for all 3 of the cars. I don't think any of them are out right ugly but none of them are out right gorgeous either
Here is how I rank them.

1. 135i
2. EVO X
3. STI

Take it with a grain of salt as I have not seen any of them in the flesh. My dealers dont have an STI or EVO. WTF??
      01-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Here is how I rank them.

1. 135i
2. EVO X
3. STI

Take it with a grain of salt as I have not seen any of them in the flesh. My dealers dont have an STI or EVO. WTF??
I thought the same thing until I saw the STi in person. Looks much better than it does in magazines. Now I would put the 135i last in terms of looks, until I see it for myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

The new Evo has been winning all the lastest comparos against the Sti.

But the Evo is just too heavy for a car with a 4-banger.

Edmunds review
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124246

1st: Evo MR
2nd: Evo GSR
3rd: WRX Sti

At the Streets of Willow
Cutting right to the chase, the results around the Streets of Willow were as follows:

#2: Evo MR — 1:32.42
#3: Evo GSR — 1:32.51
#4: WRX STI — 1:32.68

No. 1 at Willow
You'll notice that the No. 1 car is missing from the lap times listed above. It's not a typo. We brought along a fourth car, a 2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR, to serve as a reality check.

In fact, it covered the next quickest car, the Evo X MR, by more than a half-second:

#1: Evo IX MR — 1:31.89

To this we say: Bring on a lighter Evo X. As capable as the new platform is, it has gained enough weight to prevent it from quite unseating its leaner, more sharply focused brother when it comes to stringing together all the elements of a fast lap.

It looks like the last Evo is better.

Car and Driver comparo

1st Place - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR

Highs: Yaw control that abolishes understeer, awesome grip, great low-end torque for a turbo.
Lows: Needs a telescoping steering wheel, one more gear, and an interior worth of the price.
The Verdict: SCISSORS - Simple and effective at its single purpose of easy speed.

2nd Place - Volkswagen R32

Highs: Spine-tingling exhaust note, smooth power delivery, an interior you could live in.
Lows: Stiff ride, only marginally better performance than the GTI's.
The Verdict: PAPER - Requires a certain amount of intelligence to properly appreciate.

3rd Place - Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Highs: Fantastic high-end engine grunt, supple ride, an interior worthy of the sticker price.
Lows: Vague, overly assisted steering; flaccid power below 4000 rpm, a chassis set to terminal understeer.
The Verdict: ROCK - Plenty of power in need of some finesse
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

ok looks alone... the 135 blows them away in my opinion....

performance wise....no one really knows yet

but in the end...you can either drive a BMW, or a Mitsi,or Subaru......

:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
looking
Captain
Rep

^^
The Evo always win comparos because it's a better handling car. I don't know if the car is too heavy for the Evo 4 banger, it's not a normal 4 banger.

"but in the end...you can either drive a BMW, or a Mitsi,or Subaru......" Name doesn't mean anything without being able to back-up their clams. All the name is, is a sales tool.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
^^
The Evo always win comparos because it's a better handling car. I don't know if the car is too heavy for the Evo 4 banger, it's not a normal 4 banger.

"but in the end...you can either drive a BMW, or a Mitsi,or Subaru......" Name doesn't mean anything without being able to back-up their clams. All the name is, is a sales tool.
http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/media/evoinsider/2008_Lancer_Evolution_Technical_&_Mechanical%20Spe cs.pdf

Evo X weight:

MR - 3594 lbs
GSR - 3517 lbs

That is a lot for a 4-banger, in my opinion. This has a lot to do with it being slower than the last generation Evo.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
looking
Captain
Rep

^^

Ya you're right, it is heavy but how many really light cars are there out there now?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
^^

A VERY VERY sharp sales tool that they spent over 20years building.
      01-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
04__STi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I had a 04 STi modded: Spec C springs, steer rack bushings, upgraded brembo ventilated brakes and lines. While I love the shear power of the car I really found that the STi felt unnatural on the track. It pushed like crazy and then "clawed" like heck to get back online, yes I know these are the characteristics of AWD. I use to track with guys with a range of cars and I had the opportunity to swap cars. I can tell you, from my experience, that RWD car really felt a lot more fluid and thus better in terms of handling. I never drove an Evo so, can't compare.

Also, I found the finish on the STi lacking. I didn't expect it to be a luxury car, but when the car starts whistling at high speeds from the wind coming in the door jams, that's just not good enough.

I loved the STi, but if the 135 can compare performance I really think the 135 is a better car for me. Oh another plus, people won't stereotype you as a boy racer or ricer.

With that all said, I need some seat time in the 135 and evo before I could make a final choice, unless the Tii comes out, then I'm all over that.
I have an 04 STi now and it was the rawest of them all.

I have a kid and live in the north east so AWD and 4 doors helps.

BMW is luxury 1st performance 2nd which is the complete opposite for subie/mits...I would hate to buy a 135i and have it be too soft.

Based on looks alone:

1: 135i-sexy
2: EVO X-sexy but FAT
3: STi-ugly hatchback but love my current 04 STi's engine and feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #21
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Both the STI and the EVO are ridiculously overpriced for what you get IMO. In all the tests I have seen the EVO is a more all around 'fun' car. A loaded EVO in Canada is 51k for christ sake. If I am going to pay that I at least want a premium badge on the hood.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6387

I would pick up an older model used STI for a toy perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #22
FleaDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Various board comments:

STI guys on 135i:
(1) 07 sti, 335i: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/off-topi...k-07-335i.html
(2) 08 STI or 135i: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2008-sti...eries-com.html
(3) 08 sti alternative: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/off-topi...eries-com.html

STI guys on evo:
(1) R&T 3/08 sti vs evo: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2008-sti...008-issue.html

And of course, Jeremy Clarkson 1/20/08 on STI:
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle3209571.ece

I am personally surprised the comparison isn't: 135i vs g37s vs B6 S4 vs e46 M3 vs is350, etc...

If you're the type that wants to do lots of mods, and do it yourself, i.e.- your car is your 'tinker toy', I think the STI's and evo's are great cars... so many parts and options. Evo or STI, From 2004+, the engines/chassis (other than the X, 08 STI) havent changed much, more so with the STI.

I do miss the creature features, comfort, and nice big flat powerband of my 04 R32, but the lack of ease & few options of normally-aspirated mod-ability took me over. I do see the 135i as the next type of vehicle I'll be looking to get into in the next several years, but not just yet.

Everyone has their reasons in choosing a car, as absurd as it may sound: chick magnet/pimp factor, race/autox/weekend car, noise, ride quality, drag race, cupholders, afraid to be stereotyped, mod-ability, gas costs, insurance cost, residual value, weather, can't be caught dead driving asian/nazisled/euro/american/whatever, wife tells you what to do, etc... etc...

In the last 5 years I've had a GTI, R32, now STI. If you're in your mid to late 20s', or younger, I'd hope everyone can or could say they've had the chance have an sti/evo.
Appreciate 0