BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
Rider46
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 120i

Unhappy Engine Replacement DIY

Hello,

I've been trying to find a guide/walkthrough on how to replace the engine on an N46 E87 2006 120i for some time but have been completely unsuccessful in doing so. I have found many videos on the 3 series E46 but nothing on the hatchback version.

About two years ago i purchased my '06 120i and recently found oil in the coolant . Mechanic confirmed its a head gasket and quoted 2.5k to repair. I found a second hand engine for 1.5k with far less km's and think it the better option.

If anyone has or knows of any tips/guides it would be much appreciated!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Head gasket is a real pain in the ass on these engines (and often requires machining work cuz the head gets warped) so a new motor sounds legit for the price. I'd make sure it runs or there is some guarantee though 1.5k sounds cheap even for that sewing machine of a motor.

Fortunately you are in luck: removing an engine is actually a lot EASIER than doing a head gasket if you have something to pick it up with. Just start taking everything off, bumper first, unplug all the electrical, all the stuff from the firewall, undo the exhaust, unbolt the trans. Make sure things are supported as necessary. Install is the reverse of disassembly. It's really not too hard. If the engine is not a direct match allowing you to reuuse your old ECU you will have to disable or reprogram the immobilizer.

If you need a DIY to pull the motor, I'd say you're probably not ready to do the job safely.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Rider46
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 120i

Engine has a 3 month part warranty.

Was more concerned with whether the engine can be pulled from the top or has to be pulled forward (needing the front bumper dismantled) but you have answered that. Garage has a chain block all hooked up so shouldn't be a problem.

I'm fairly keen to give it a shot so will take my time and label everything. Still would be great to have something to refer to occasionally, even if it isn't overly specific. Thanks for your help though, that is a good start!
Appreciate 0