BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #243
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

FWIW (which may be little), I imagine that the motor is identical to the Z4 35is with the single exception of software changes for the M drive button.

And that's fine with me!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #244
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
You can expect as much change in the motor as the dashboard. Our saving grace (again, im perfectly fine with our motor as is) was the bmw power package. Which I bet was founded upon seeing what Terry Burger and Steve Vishnu were doin first.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #245
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
From some of us it seems like you been drinking too much BMW koolaid. And Dr Kay is a marketing guy, I naturally take what he says and discount by 60%.
The majority of my comments are NOT based on Dr. Kay. so you can talk about his marketing prowess all you want, but when an M *engineer* tells you that they have spent a significant amount of time tuning the motor, that's an entirely different situation. As far as the differences between the actual hard parts of the motor, no.. I don't think there are any differences other than they changed the piston rings and blueprinting (selecting and matching components).

Oh.... and Let's be clear, I didn't drink the Koolaid... i drove it.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-19-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #246
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Been away from this thread for too long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
It sounds like the motor has been "blueprinted" from the factory. It's common for most components to come from the factory in a range of tolerance "bins"- pistons might come in 4 bore sizes and different weights, etc. By putting the best parts together (choosing the largest piston diameters, lightest weight rods, etc) you can build "stronger" motors from the factory. Porsche used to do this sometimes for "special wishes" cars, where a good customer or Porsche exec would get a factory special that would dyno 10-20 hp stronger than an average car without any on-paper changes.

It makes some sense that they would upgrade the critical components such as rings and choose the best parts for the M cars; it's virtually free as they have the whole range of parts to choose from. It might buy you a little power and it probably gets you more reliability, but nothing dramatic. Not exactly make or break either way- as long as the price is right I'm fine with this motor being "the same". This car is about the package, not the motor...
Come on, you don't seriously believe that they can or would do this for the 1M do you? Talk about adding inordinate costs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
There are a few more functional differences I'd note that become apparent when you're driving on the limit. The following list is true of all current DCTs, though the amounts vary:
  1. Inconsistency. The delay from the time the paddle is pressed until the box shifts varies. This is because the DCT is only able to pre-select one gear. If you're in 4th, the DCT guesses if you're shifting to 5th or 3rd. If it guesses right the shift is as fast as letting out the clutch, but if it guesses wrong it needs to change gears, taking a few hundred ms. So unlike a manual (or racing sequential, etc) you don't have total control over when a gear is selected- can be pretty bad is certain situations.
  2. Fewer control options. A number of "tricks" available to the manual trans driver are not available with DCT. For example I'll often purposely not fully rev-match a downshift on a slow autocross hairpin in order to provoke the rear end to rotate- not possible with DCT. I'll also left foot brake to balance the car; many DCTs don't allow power and brakes at the same time. There are a few other examples- the clutch simply gives you another input that you don't have on a DCT.
  3. Weight: 45 lbs for the BMW unit. Usually lost in the noise...
Now the DCT also has a number of positives, of course. As I said above it will generally post better numbers than a manual. The above list, obviously plus driver involvement which is the big one, is why I'd prefer a manual (I drive both a DCT and manual at the moment). I also realize many people probably wouldn't notice much of the above and prefer a DCT.
Pete are your experiences here from a DSG? I have very limited time with VAG DSGs but the unit in the GTI is considerably different than the M-DCT. Item 1 is a complete non issue with M-DCT. There are also ways to trick/work with/enhance a DCT beyond just pulling the paddle. It is just that the tricks are a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
One of my favorites.

Also, Don't for get skip shifting, both up and down.
You can get the M-DCT to skip shift but only 2 or so gears and only downshifting not upshifting. When very rapid paddle down shift operations are detected you get a skipped downshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Higher RPM's doesn't let you stay in a gear longer. That is determined by gear ratios
It's both really. If you can boost your redline you will stay in a gear longer and maintain the higher acceleration from the lower gear longer. However, if you tweak your FD ratio (or other gear ratios) that too affects how long (to what peak speed) you will stay in each gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Throughout this entire thread, many have presumed that BMW just dropped the same motor into the 1M and slapped an M badge on the rear.
Hmmm, it seems abundantly clear to me that with regards to the engine alone (we all know what the car has for wheels, brakes, suspension, diff, etc.) that this is absolutely an identical engine from other cars with some software modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Things I would like to know:

1. What exactly does the M button do? Is it a whole new ECU map with more area under the curve (i.e. more power), or is it just a revised throttle response to give the feeling of quicker response (like the e46 M3)?

2. What does the "Sport Plus" button do in the Z4is? Again, is it a completely different ECU map or just a nonlinear throttle response?
I expect most of this is similar to the M3 less any alternate maps. In the M3 the button is simply a macro that provides a way to adjust most of the adjustable features of the car with a single button press. Of course the 1M does not have EDC nor adjustable steering so the button obviosuly will be doing less. In the M5 though the power button can swap between 400 and 507 hp. In the M3 the Power button does nothing but alter the throttle opening vs. pedal depression curve. Of course WOT it WOT under any throttle curve so the non linear curves with higher low throttle sensitivity are just that - non linear. It would make sense in a FI car with a M button to alter maps however, the official press information does state that is only changes the "throttle response".
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #247
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I expect that whatever "tuning" M-division did on the 1M motor, will be used to produce all the other iS motors also. In other words, there IS NO "M" motor for the 1M - it's a standard BMW motor from multiple non-M models, that was VERY lightly looked at by M-division.

There's really no other legit way to spin it; this M simply does NOT have an "M" motor. It has a stock BMW motor from their line of non-M cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #248
sho-one
MMA fighter and F1 test driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4///M coupe bulletproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I expect that whatever "tuning" M-division did on the 1M motor, will be used to produce all the other iS motors also. In other words, there IS NO "M" motor for the 1M - it's a standard BMW motor from multiple non-M models, that was VERY lightly looked at by M-division.

There's really no other legit way to spin it; this M simply does NOT have an "M" motor. It has a stock BMW motor from their line of non-M cars.

agreed, Im almost sure its just a throttle adjustment button.

This car has the same engine as the z4335is and Im tired of all this blue printing/tolerances crap. It has the same engine and the engine is not specific to the 1 M. Unless proven otherwise, that facts presented are there. There would be no reason for them to hide the fact they did something physically to the engine, cause it would only help their sales pitch. But this talking around the subject seems to me that they programed the ECU in it diffrently and thats it. The old doc sounds like a car salesman...wait a minute..isn't he in marketing???

But I'm also okay with that, it is more than enough power for me. I'm sold on the looks, drivetrain, handling, and power. I'm just gonna accept it the way it is.
NOW:08 M.Coupe SMB #102/248 #1669/1815
:|MORRVS8|APEX8|SS.X-pipe|SS.PW.Loop|AFE.intake|Matte.grill|short.ant|Z HP.knob|interior.LED|bulletproof
09 Audi Q5

THEN:96Accord|98Camry|04TSX SC|06 M3|06A4|05Civic Si|05Imprezza|05S2000|08FJ
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #249
heli_ben
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C on order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho-one View Post
agreed, Im almost sure its just a throttle adjustment button.

This car has the same engine as the z4335is and Im tired of all this blue printing/tolerances crap. It has the same engine and the engine is not specific to the 1 M. Unless proven otherwise, that facts presented are there. There would be no reason for them to hide the fact they did something physically to the engine, cause it would only help their sales pitch. But this talking around the subject seems to me that they programed the ECU in it diffrently and thats it. The old doc sounds like a car salesman...wait a minute..isn't he in marketing???

But I'm also okay with that, it is more than enough power for me. I'm sold on the looks, drivetrain, handling, and power. I'm just gonna accept it the way it is.
Internally the 1M and Z4 35is engine are the same - FACT.

Externally the cooling is different - FACT.

The software is different - FACT.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #250
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_ben View Post
The software is different - FACT.
While this seems likely, I am not sure this has been firmly established. Can you corroborate this statement?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #251
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
While this seems likely, I am not sure this has been firmly established. Can you corroborate this statement?
It has to be different. They have been speaking of an MDM the entire time (and we know, that there is a button for it). That is an M-specific DSC mode that actually allows drifts. And in order for that to happen, the software has to be different. A Z4 does not offer that M specific DSC mode.
      01-20-2011, 05:32 AM   #252
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
It has to be different. They have been speaking of an MDM the entire time (and we know, that there is a button for it). That is an M-specific DSC mode that actually allows drifts. And in order for that to happen, the software has to be different. A Z4 does not offer that M specific DSC mode.
DSC isn't the ENGINE. Hell, they might also have faster or slower dimming internal lighting once the door closes, but that also has nothing to do with the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #253
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
DSC isn't the ENGINE.
Ah ha. So the DSC doesn't cut the engine, when it is trying to prevent oversteer? And in order to allow oversteer, the interaction between DSC and engine will not have to be adapted? So if that is what they did (which is what they are saying), they are using a different software. If that's the type of change users would have liked to see... that's a different question.
      01-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #254
treehacker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

@Kurt,
EmmDrei is refering to "The software is different - FACT."
The engine might be the same... but the software must be different.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #255
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehacker View Post
@Kurt,
EmmDrei is refering to "The software is different - FACT."
The engine might be the same... but the software must be different.
Yup. Thanks for clarifying!
      01-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #256
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am not suggesting the software is bit for bit verbatim of what is present in the Z4is ECU. I don't doubt a few adjustments have been made to the software to allow more spirited driving (basically tweaking DSC to create the MDM mode).

The larger question, however, is whether the actual engine parameters have been substantially altered from the Z4is mapping (i.e. boost levels, timing, etc...). Both cars have a "sport" mode - "sport plus" in the Z4is and "M mode" in the 1MSC. I am simply curious whether the engine mapping is actually any different in the 1MSC.

My guess is they are the same. If there is a difference I suspect the M button in the 1MSC remaps the throttle response to create the impression of a more responsive motor (perhaps this is what the "sport plus" button does in the Z4is as well).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #257
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
My guess is they are the same. .
Why? What do you have to go on to support your guess?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #258
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not suggesting the software is bit for bit verbatim of what is present in the Z4is ECU. I don't doubt a few adjustments have been made to the software to allow more spirited driving (basically tweaking DSC to create the MDM mode).

The larger question, however, is whether the actual engine parameters have been substantially altered from the Z4is mapping (i.e. boost levels, timing, etc...). Both cars have a "sport" mode - "sport plus" in the Z4is and "M mode" in the 1MSC. I am simply curious whether the engine mapping is actually any different in the 1MSC.

My guess is they are the same. If there is a difference I suspect the M button in the 1MSC remaps the throttle response to create the impression of a more responsive motor (perhaps this is what the "sport plus" button does in the Z4is as well).
Since they cars have identical power and torque specs and the same overboost feature my guess is that the true engine control parts of the software are absolutely identical. From a development and manufacturing point of view anything else doesn't make much sense at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #259
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Since they cars have identical power and torque specs and the same overboost feature my guess is that the true engine control parts of the software are absolutely identical. From a development and manufacturing point of view anything else doesn't make much sense at all.
True, and it might also be to avoid having to certify another setup with the epa.
      01-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #260
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Ah ha. So the DSC doesn't cut the engine, when it is trying to prevent oversteer? And in order to allow oversteer, the interaction between DSC and engine will not have to be adapted? So if that is what they did (which is what they are saying), they are using a different software. If that's the type of change users would have liked to see... that's a different question.
Might be (likely is) true, but it's not on point. The discussion is about the actual output of the engine itself, and how, if at all, the maximum output at each RPM differs from an "iS" engine. At least, that's what I was discussing.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #261
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Why? What do you have to go on to support your guess?
No insider info or anything. Just seems logical. The motor is stated to be the same as that available in the Z4is. The peak output is unchanged from the Z4is. And as Swamp indicates, it saves money to keep changes to a minimum.

Furthermore, if the engine software truly differed between the Z4is and 1MSC then why not tout this fact during the official debut in Detroit? I think they would readily divulge a totally revised engine mapping if it in fact exists.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #262
heli_ben
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C on order...

Quote:
This is fact from inside BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #263
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
True, and it might also be to avoid having to certify another setup with the epa.
Indeed, along with dozens of other reasons, testing, QA, programming and development time and cost, etc., etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #264
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

We already know this is a FrankenBimmer. I thought everyone moved on from those discussions already?
Appreciate 0