BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Welded diff for maximum lockup

Maybe I'm on crack here, but a thought just occurred to me:

Normally for track use I'm in favor of having a really high lockup on acceleration for solid manipulation under power, and a really low lockup (open diff) under braking for stability and turn in. In other words, a 1 way LSD.

But, 1 ways aren't as good for drifting, and I've become more interested in drifting lately. So, why not just weld my diff? I'm aware that this will, with all other things being equal, increase understeer on turn-in and oversteer at the limit. More importantly, it may bring some issues if I need to maneuver the car in a tight space. We'll see, they're not supposed to be as bad for that as a welded front diff. I do drive the car every day, but it is not my only means of transportation.

A big factor here is I can pull the diff, weld it, and reinstall it all for the cost of electricity, welding consumables, diff fluid & gasket, food to power me, and the opportunity cost of missing out on whatever else I'd be doing which is probably an opportunity gained since what else could be as productive as welding my own diff?

Thoughts are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i M-Package

I have my diff welded on my e36 325, its kind of a neusince for daily driving, it makes the car sound and feel broken during any low speed turning. Gets alot of weird looks in parking lots. But an absolute dream for drifting. Cost me like 40 bucks, and now i have complete control of my angle with no guess work. Doesnt really get any more consistant than welded diff.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Maybe I'm on crack here, but a thought just occurred to me:

Normally for track use I'm in favor of having a really high lockup on acceleration for solid manipulation under power, and a really low lockup (open diff) under braking for stability and turn in. In other words, a 1 way LSD.

But, 1 ways aren't as good for drifting, and I've become more interested in drifting lately. So, why not just weld my diff? I'm aware that this will, with all other things being equal, increase understeer on turn-in and oversteer at the limit. More importantly, it may bring some issues if I need to maneuver the car in a tight space. We'll see, they're not supposed to be as bad for that as a welded front diff. I do drive the car every day, but it is not my only means of transportation.

A big factor here is I can pull the diff, weld it, and reinstall it all for the cost of electricity, welding consumables, diff fluid & gasket, food to power me, and the opportunity cost of missing out on whatever else I'd be doing which is probably an opportunity gained since what else could be as productive as welding my own diff?

Thoughts are welcome.

Those are 2 large reasons not to do this. A third is the cost to undue if you don't like it.
Something purpose built and not primarily a street car, go ahead and weld the diff. For a street car it's not a good idea.
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
For a street car it's not a good idea.
Please share your experience as to why this is the case. I'm planning on picking up another diff core from classifieds since once my core is welded, there's no turning back.

I don't really daily the car in the sense that most people are forced to--the car is more of a toy than an appliance to me. I do drive it to my office but I'm always hooning it around and typically enjoy most of my driving after 3 AM when the drunks have gotten home and the streets are empty.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I don't really daily the car in the sense that most people are forced to--the car is more of a toy than an appliance to me. I do drive it to my office but I'm always hooning it around and typically enjoy most of my driving after 3 AM when the drunks have gotten home and the streets are empty.
I do a lot of my driving in the wee hours of the morning as well. Streets all to myself. Very enjoyable!
      04-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I do a lot of my driving in the wee hours of the morning as well. Streets all to myself. Very enjoyable!
Absolutely! If you're gonna enjoy a car on the street, early morning is the time to do it .

Keep the comments coming. I'd be especially interested to hear from someone crazy enough to weld a late model BMW diff instead of buying a LSD.
Appreciate 2
Toome159.00
      04-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Aside from accelerating rear tire wear and the annoying chirping when making turns, it's a cheap, easy way to have 100% lock up. The hard part is getting the gears clean enough for the welds to penetrate enough without contamination. Gear lubricant soaks into the pours of the steel, and when you weld on it, the oil is forced out of the pours, and contaminates the weld, making it weak. Worst case scenario, the welds fail and you grenade the diff. Best case, the welds hold, and you have to replace the rear tires all the time.

I say go for it. You'll have a back up diff just in case it goes wrong.
      04-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///Madd View Post
The hard part is getting the gears clean enough for the welds to penetrate enough without contamination. Gear lubricant soaks into the pours of the steel, and when you weld on it, the oil is forced out of the pours, and contaminates the weld, making it weak.
Oh, absolutely. I taught myself TIG starting in September and clean metal is probably the most important thing you can have. I'll be tigging the diff and will clean the gears including preheat with post cleaning. That way hopefully I can get almost all the oil out like you're talking about before I weld.

Also, USS MoneyPit. That's funny . Are you in the Navy or is that just your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh, absolutely. I taught myself TIG starting in September and clean metal is probably the most important thing you can have. I'll be tigging the diff and will clean the gears including preheat with post cleaning. That way hopefully I can get almost all the oil out like you're talking about before I weld.

Also, USS MoneyPit. That's funny . Are you in the Navy or is that just your car?
Bacon Potato Rocket is my car
      04-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

To update this thread, I drove a welded diff (100% accel / decel lockup) in Assetto Corsa in a simulated e36 325. For controls I have a T500RS.

Well, the results are in and IT IS NOTHING I WANT ANY PART OF IN A STREET CAR. The steering is heavy, car wants to drag on turn in, but that's not the main problem... Main issue is the car is always trying to bust out, not just into a little rotation, but full on oversteer. I have some experience drifting but that is NOTHING I want to deal with on the street, at high speeds. I would either have to stop driving fast, or be cool with some really hairy-ass behavior from the car.

Yes, it's a simulator, but the behavior is pretty spot on with what I've heard and there's no getting around it unless you drive slow--and even then you'll still need to slide.

New plan is to get an M-Factory metal plate clutch--one way, like I should have looked into from the start.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Glad you came to your senses OP.
      07-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #12
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

OK, admins forced a 2 month vacation on me, now I'm back with some updated info for this thread. Like, I decided to weld the diff after all and just finished this afternoon

Will stuff it back in the car and report on the handling characteristics, for better or for worse. It wasn't very easy to weld due to cleaning / position and I contaminated my tungsten like 10 times.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #13
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

This is great hahaha. Can't wait to hear the results
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 04:35 AM   #14
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here's my welds, they're pretty bad but in my defense it was extremely difficult to position things because I had to hold the torch funny the entire time and stick the tungsten out pretty far. Ahh whatever, please laugh.

View post on imgur.com

Reasons I decided to weld the diff:

0) No money for a real diff
1) I put in a bunch of time drifting the locked diff cars in AC and it's easy now
2) I put in a bunch of time drifting in real life, feel much more confident, thoroughly hate theh e-diff and would LOVE to have a rear end that works like in the drift cars in the game. Yes they're setup with massive steering angle but the rear feels sooo good even with minimal angle.

Last edited by The Wind Breezes; 07-25-2016 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

OK I put the diff back in and took the car for a quick spin. Here are my initial impressions:

--low speed stuff isn't a big deal at all, the welded diff doesn't really make the wheel any harder to turn or affect parking lot handling, just makes noise and presumably wears the tires
--some additional understeer, can be driven around 100%
--high speed cornering is massively different, huge response on throttle even in 3rd / 4th which is awesome
--needs more juice to take off with wheels turned so I will keep that in mind and make quick takeoffs to get the dct clutches locked fast so as not to overheat them
--1st / 2nd gear powerslides are extremely easy, predictable and consistent compared to the e-diff

I need to put the exhaust back on so this thing isn't a cop magnet then I'll hit up some parking lots and see how it drifts. It might rain later and I'm extremely excited to see how this thing handles the rain. I'm expecting slide after slide.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #16
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Good luck with the welded. In theory, it's the same as a 2-way diff. We use one on our Project Craigslist Drift 240 and it does have compromises but for $30, it does make the car much easier to slide. We will actually be taking the hunt of junk to a road course at the end of the year and seeing how it works in that arena. It's much less forgiving than an open diff, obviously, but once you're used to it, it makes the car feel and handle more like a kart.
For DD purposes, yes, it will kill your rear tires quickly and cause more low speed drag, but I'd imagine even a stock 1'er has enough torque to make it negligible.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #17
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Good luck with the welded.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
In theory, it's the same as a 2-way diff.
Yes, if your 2 way was adjusted for a 100% torque bias (do people ever do this or do they just run a spool at that point?). 2 way diffs usually are setup with a torque bias less than 100, sometimes a lot less, meaning they start slipping after the % torque to one wheel exceeds the bias and are not be able to deliver all torque (no more than the bias amount) to the drive wheel. In a welded diff 100% of the drive torque is always available to the outside wheel and that's responsible for the lovely, lovely, razer sharp throttle steering, which makes the car >100% more exciting to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:40 AM   #18
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Small update, still rocking the diff, love the dynamics, and haven't broken anything yet. I do have horrendous wheel hop when spinning or sliding in the wet but in the dry it's not a problem. Gonna lock down my diff with a bracket and see if that helps...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 01:57 AM   #19
VazzVenom
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Post some drift videos.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 02:40 AM   #20
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well I just got a hero5 black and a hero5 session so hopefully I can hit the drift strip soon
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #21
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

This is awesome. I was gonna blow like $4k on an LSD, now I'm just gonna weld it.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #22
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I got my diff lockdown bracket from a member here in the classifieds. 135droptop I believe was the name. Good quality & quick shipping.