BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

There seem to be very few reviews of these tires so here is my experience thus far. I am currently running the soft (40 tread wear) in 265/35-18 square setup on my e82 (ET22/ET58). I have destroyed my first set [**IMAGE BELOW**] and I am now onto the second set. I will come back and update this post once I get through this second set in a month or so. For reference, my pace is advanced/instructor.

**Questions to consider while reading:**
Does price point outweigh wear rate?
Do these delaminate because they are junk?

Fitment: The shoulders are rounded and they run narrow. There is a 2" height difference stacking 4 of these next to 4 Toyo R888R in the same width. They are slightly taller than the overall outer diameter quoted in the charts on their website.

Pressures: My car weighs 3400lbs with me in it. I run -3.2 front and -2.0 rear camber and I get the best grip at 35psi hot but wear pattern suggests a higher psi (37-38psi) should be run. Could this be due to a super soft outer shoulder? I did experiment with pressures a lot with this set, but always between 34 and 38psi hot. My overall average with this set was 35psi and this may be relevant to the wear patterns I experienced.

Wear/Longevity: My set started to delaminate on the outer shoulders (not corded) at all 4 corners at heat cycles 17 (front) and 18 (rear) with healthy tread in the center and inner. For reference, a "heat cycle" for me is approximately 20 minutes of advanced/instructor/qualify pace. In comparison, I use 2-3 sets of Toyo R888R (100 tread wear) per season over the last several years and they wear evenly on the same alignment and last 30-35 heat cycles (without significant fall off) before they cycle out or cord.

Out-lap grip/autoX use: They are a little greasy until temps come up, but they do build heat very quickly (significant gain in grip after 2-3 corners at pace). I do not autoX but understand the need for cold grip like that found in the Re71 and believe these tires would be acceptable for this use.

Breakaway behaviors: These tires do not make any noise and I feel the breakaway is predictable for experienced R-comp/slick drivers. I verified this weekend that unintentional midcorner oversteer at 90mph is easily controlled. For novice drivers (as expected with this aggressive of a tire) the breakaway characteristics may be considered abrupt and without warning.

Grip/Pace: As expected, the Soft FZ 201 are faster than any 200 or 100 tread wear tire I have used. I cannot comment on grip versus other slicks but based on information I've compiled they seem to provide similar grip and pace to the Toyo RR. I am 2-3 seconds faster (circuit dependent) on the Soft FZ 201 than on the R888R. When these tires started to delaminate there was not a significant drop off in pace but I did start to feel less confident at full g load. Because a myriad of factors can make a driver have this feeling, always visually inspect your tires when you check your pressures after every session.

Sorry for the junk image of my FZ 201, but you get the idea and the delamination is clear. In these images the FZ have 18 cycles and the R888R have 22 cycles. Both images are of the front tire(s) with IDENTICAL alignment, weight, sway, etc. and I also run soft pressures with the R888R (33-34psi hot).

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 2
beattiecj122.00
houtan701.00
      06-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
My27KGame
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

this information is great as this was a set of tires I was debating on getting. can you post a couple images of your car? I've heard that 235 was the biggest tire that can be run up front, but i know that camber can change this. What are you running for camber plates to get 3.2 deg up front?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by My27KGame View Post
this information is great as this was a set of tires I was debating on getting. can you post a couple images of your car? I've heard that 235 was the biggest tire that can be run up front, but i know that camber can change this. What are you running for camber plates to get 3.2 deg up front?
I have the ER Widebody front end so the sizes will be different to your setup (265 square ET22 front, ET58 rear).

I am able to achieve -3.2 camber in front on the Vorschlag camber plates.

235 was the widest I could fit under the factory fenders even with the camber plates but that was with a lowered setup on Bilstein PSS10 (set to max ride height) and the M3 control arms which increase caster, this increasing risk of rubbing on the front edge of fender. Without the geometry changes you *might* be able to fit a 245 with max camber.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A bad historian, I take the statement back about 235 width under the factory fenders. I found the image below. This was a R888R 245 under the factory fenders (with M3 arms and PSS10). It did rub a bit under compression on track.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks for the review. Do you recall how much caster you were running with the stock fenders or how much you are running now?

I am planning to get a set of RS-Rs, 235/40/18 front. They are really close in size to the sumitomo htr III I currently have in the front (same size). I am running 2.1 degrees camber and my caster is maxed out at 10.1 degrees (TC camber plate, M3 arms). Problem is, I think the effective camber when the wheel is turned is causing the inside of my tires to wear out much more quickly, so I plan to increase the caster back to something in 8 degree range, reducing my effective camber. Just trying to figure out if the RS-R 235 will still clear. I am guessing it will.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
I have the ER Widebody front end so the sizes will be different to your setup (265 square ET22 front, ET58 rear).

235 was the widest I could fit under the factory fenders even with the camber plates but that was with a lowered setup on Bilstein PSS10 (set to max ride height) and the M3 control arms which increase caster, this increasing risk of rubbing on the front edge of fender. Without the geometry changes you *might* be able to fit a 245 with max camber.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Does running the ER front widebody kit make the front fenders about the same width as the rear? I think the rears look stupid from the couple of manufacturers that make them, but I like the fronts, want to make sure it doesn't look uneven though before buying.
      06-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

We are running a 255/40r17 RE71r square on a 17x9. No fender mods, no rubbing, 3.2 camber. Literally a credit card's worth of space on the inside though. It can be done but you have to have the offset perfect. ET35 front ET50 rear.

Last edited by Mark Aubele; 06-26-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
We are running a 255/40r17 RE71r square on a 17x9. No fender mods, no rubbing, 3.2 camber. Literally a credit card's worth of space on the inside though. It can be done but you have to have the offset perfect. ET35 front ET50 rear.
How much caster?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
How much caster?
Can't remember. It's in the center of the hole. M3 arms. Whatever it ended up at, sacrificed caster to get max camber.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks. So probably around 7.x degrees.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. So probably around 7.x degrees.
Yes. It was somewhere in the 6-7* range. Apologies for not having the exact numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
It’s all good brother. The only reason why I remember mine is because when I spoke to TC he said run the max caster his plates would let me run once camber was set. Well at 2.1 degrees camber, I was able to run max caster. When I got my alignment, it was showing at 10.1 degrees. I thought that was high, but it’s been like that for a few years lol
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep

Quote:
It’s all good brother. The only reason why I remember mine is because when I spoke to TC he said run the max caster his plates would let me run once camber was set. Well at 2.1 degrees camber, I was able to run max caster. When I got my alignment, it was showing at 10.1 degrees. I thought that was high, but it’s been like that for a few years lol

I'd like to have a bit more camber, but IMO wouldn't sacrifice camber to get it. Same way on my E36 M3. Run around -4* camber and can only get about 5.5* caster.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the review. Do you recall how much caster you were running with the stock fenders or how much you are running now?

I am planning to get a set of RS-Rs, 235/40/18 front. They are really close in size to the sumitomo htr III I currently have in the front (same size). I am running 2.1 degrees camber and my caster is maxed out at 10.1 degrees (TC camber plate, M3 arms). Problem is, I think the effective camber when the wheel is turned is causing the inside of my tires to wear out much more quickly, so I plan to increase the caster back to something in 8 degree range, reducing my effective camber. Just trying to figure out if the RS-R 235 will still clear. I am guessing it will.
I just pulled an alignment sheet from when I had this setup. In this photo caster was 7.3 with 3.0 camber.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #15
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Does running the ER front widebody kit make the front fenders about the same width as the rear? I think the rears look stupid from the couple of manufacturers that make them, but I like the fronts, want to make sure it doesn't look uneven though before buying.
It does not look weird IMO and they seem to be about even with the rear. Hopefully you can find a used ER Widebody since they no longer sell them. They told me that they issues finding somebody to manufacture them that wasn't cost prohibitive.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:02 AM   #16
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay here is a looong overdue update on the Federal FZ 201 soft (40 TW). My first set delaminated after 17-18 heat cycles (for reference, heat cycle = session). I have run 2 additional sets of these tires and I must say, I am quite impressed. Longevity is consistent with what I have reported previously but what you get for the price is noteworthy. Depending on how long/hard you run these per heat cycle, expect about 20 sessions shelf life. This is similar, or slightly less, than what you can expect from the RE71R ("200" TW).

Okay so only 20 sessions? Well yea, but you won't see 20 sessions of consistent lap time out of Hoosiers. If you are buying Hoosiers already, the FZ Soft (40 TW) would make for a good practice tire.

The 100 TW version (Medium compound) I have seen my friends use in excess of 30 sessions with no delamination problems and no significant drop-off. I cannot personally comment on the lap times of the Medium 100 TW, but from peer feedback they are much faster than the R888R and slightly slower then the RE71R. The FZ Medium is similar price to the FZ Soft.

Okay so lap times. I have been running RE71R as my "practice" tire and the FZ Soft as my time attack competition tire. The FZ soft is 0.5 to 1 second per lap faster versus the RE71R depending on the track (or the size of my plums on any given day). I find the FZ and RE to have similar feel with regard to slip angle and breakaway. The RE falls off faster than the FZ when overheated. If you are running the RE and want a faster tire at 60-70% of the cost, check out the Federals. If you are running the RE and want a "fast" tire that lasts longer, albeit slower, move to the FZ Medium or R888R or Nankang.

With regard to R888R lap times, I am 3 seconds faster on the RE71R, and 4 seconds faster on the FZ Soft. This was at Palmer, a local track, where I have the most experience.

This past week I was at Watkins Glen for a time attack and my transponder time was 2:10.6 on the FZ Soft. In practice I ran a 2:11.6 on the RE71R. So there you go. Last year I was several seconds slower on the R888R.

Bottom line:

The FZ Soft (from PTS) is only $153/tire versus $225-$300 per tire offered by other manufacturers

The FZ Soft is a bargain for the grip/pace gained versus a "200"/100 TW tire like the RE71R or R888R

The FZ Soft do not drop off before they are used up (or come apart) like higher TW tires

I will personally use FZ Soft until I fully commit to Hoosiers
Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50
      09-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Okay here is a looong overdue update on the Federal FZ 201 soft (40 TW). My first set delaminated after 17-18 heat cycles (for reference, heat cycle = session). I have run 2 additional sets of these tires and I must say, I am quite impressed. Longevity is consistent with what I have reported previously but what you get for the price is noteworthy. Depending on how long/hard you run these per heat cycle, expect about 20 sessions shelf life. This is similar, or slightly less, than what you can expect from the RE71R ("200" TW).

Okay so only 20 sessions? Well yea, but you won't see 20 sessions of consistent lap time out of Hoosiers. If you are buying Hoosiers already, the FZ Soft (40 TW) would make for a good practice tire.

The 100 TW version (Medium compound) I have seen my friends use in excess of 30 sessions with no delamination problems and no significant drop-off. I cannot personally comment on the lap times of the Medium 100 TW, but from peer feedback they are much faster than the R888R and slightly slower then the RE71R. The FZ Medium is similar price to the FZ Soft.

Okay so lap times. I have been running RE71R as my "practice" tire and the FZ Soft as my time attack competition tire. The FZ soft is 0.5 to 1 second per lap faster versus the RE71R depending on the track (or the size of my plums on any given day). I find the FZ and RE to have similar feel with regard to slip angle and breakaway. The RE falls off faster than the FZ when overheated. If you are running the RE and want a faster tire at 60-70% of the cost, check out the Federals. If you are running the RE and want a "fast" tire that lasts longer, albeit slower, move to the FZ Medium or R888R or Nankang.

With regard to R888R lap times, I am 3 seconds faster on the RE71R, and 4 seconds faster on the FZ Soft. This was at Palmer, a local track, where I have the most experience.

This past week I was at Watkins Glen for a time attack and my transponder time was 2:10.6 on the FZ Soft. In practice I ran a 2:11.6 on the RE71R. So there you go. Last year I was several seconds slower on the R888R.

Bottom line:

The FZ Soft (from PTS) is only $153/tire versus $225-$300 per tire offered by other manufacturers

The FZ Soft is a bargain for the grip/pace gained versus a "200"/100 TW tire like the RE71R or R888R

The FZ Soft do not drop off before they are used up (or come apart) like higher TW tires

what kind of times are you running at Palmer on these? On a side note, Palmer is pretty cool (ambient temp wise) every time I've been there (like 50-60f). I'm curious how these hold up at a day of lapping in 95f+ weather. did you get any days in at Palmer like that? Soft compound tires generally start to get greasy. I ran RS-RR and they were like that on hot days. Better suited for autocross or time attack where you only lap hard for 1-2 laps.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:17 AM   #18
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:

Bottom line:

what kind of times are you running at Palmer on these? On a side note, Palmer is pretty cool (ambient temp wise) every time I've been there (like 50-60f). I'm curious how these hold up at a day of lapping in 95f+ weather. did you get any days in at Palmer like that? Soft compound tires generally start to get greasy. I ran RS-RR and they were like that on hot days. Better suited for autocross or time attack where you only lap hard for 1-2 laps.
Running the softs for long sessions in 95 degree heat I have seen some chunking and delamination. I know that when Hoosiers do this you can flip the tire or move it around to protect it but with the FZ it is unknown if that places you at risk for spontaneous whole tread delamination. More research is needed but ultimately I'd advise against extended sessions on the Soft compound in excessive heat as you have observed with other tire manufactures.

Here is where I stand at the close of my 2019 season. My final event was NHMS Roval South Oval/North Chicane configuration.
Day 1: I ran used (7 heat cycle) Hoosier R7 to try them out (for the first time ever) and ran my second fastest lap of the weekend during practice in my first session on a track that I am habitually slow on.
Day 2: TT day so I moved to the FZ 201 Softs (legal for my class) while adding 5 degrees of rear wing because the car was light and loose in multiple areas on the Hoosiers during Day 1 sessions. Ultimately I ran 0.2 faster with the FZ (with added aero) than I did on used Hoosiers. Not the best comparison, but something nonetheless.

My strategy all season (except this final event where I tried Hoosiers) was practice on RE71R and TT on FZ 201 Soft. Last weekend at NHMS Roval I set the track record for my class (COMSCC T80) and took home the T80 Class Championship for 2019.

The Federals are definitely worth a look if you want a faster tire without the expense of Hoosiers, GForce R1 or non-DOT slicks and are definitively faster than the 100TW and "200TW" tires on the market.

Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50