nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
OK, OK, OK!

Since you guys (and girls) are some of my best customers, the next 6x600' roll of TrakkTape sold to 1addicts.com will be $100 + 12 for shipping. First person to send $112 to my PayPal account, duczupa@gmail.com will get this price. This is not available through www.trakktape.com. In fact, without the Racers Net discount code to drop it to $120, this roll is normally $145.

Be sure to include your shipping address and that you are from 1addicts.

Thanks for the support!

I'll take you up on it! Paypal coming your way!

It's more than I need, but it's good stuff. It saved my bumper sides from some dirty evil blackened cones that jumped in front of my car as I made my way through the course.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #24
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This is more than I need but it is a good deal. The 3"x 100 feet roll I bought was $35 plus $10 shipping. I used about half at the last autocross.

If anyone in San Diego wants to try it out for the next autocross, let me know, maybe we can work something out? I used it once and came off cleanly after three days.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #25
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
If anyone in San Diego wants to try it out for the next autocross, let me know, maybe we can work something out? I used it once and came off cleanly after three days.
Do you autocross with the BMW club?

If you come to the March 4th autocross, please seek me out and show me your car. Would love to see the tape in action and where you put it on the car.

I have a clear-bra on the front of the car, but am looking to maybe add something around the wheel wells to avoid the rubber buildup that is always hard to clean....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
Do you autocross with the BMW club?

If you come to the March 4th autocross, please seek me out and show me your car. Would love to see the tape in action and where you put it on the car.

I have a clear-bra on the front of the car, but am looking to maybe add something around the wheel wells to avoid the rubber buildup that is always hard to clean....
I will be on the SCCA side on the same day, but I will make my way over to the BMWCCA side of the stadium. The stuff is perfect for autocrossing. I even used it to attach numbers to the doors like tape, then peeled it off. It's a little expensive but worth it when you have nice cars like ours. I hit two cones and they left black marks on the tape. I just peeled it off and the car looked like new. I put the stuff on Friday night, I ran practice saturday and the event on Sunday. I didn't do a particularly good job putting it on as I was more into protection than looks, but it stayed on 99%. I a few places, it began to lift like on the inside of the wheel well where I didn't clean it well. Anyway, I'll try to make on the 4th for sure. I'll look for your car. You can't miss mine, it's a white 1M Coupe with a Recaro car seat in the back.

I assume you have a black 135i?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
OK, OK, OK!

Since you guys (and girls) are some of my best customers, the next 6x600' roll of TrakkTape sold to 1addicts.com will be $100 + 12 for shipping. First person to send $112 to my PayPal account, duczupa@gmail.com will get this price. This is not available through www.trakktape.com. In fact, without the Racers Net discount code to drop it to $120, this roll is normally $145.

Be sure to include your shipping address and that you are from 1addicts.

Thanks for the support!

You guys sure are trusting.... A guy with 4 posts comes on here asking for $112 to his Paypal account and you just send it? Sounds like a great idea for a scam to me.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No! This email is for the Trakktape guy! I bought my last roll from the website and it's the same Paypal address. I sent him pmt last night around 9 pm and I already got a "order on its way" message from Paypal. PayPal lists him as David Christian. Anyway I feel pretty comfortable with it but if it's not legit you will be the first to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
No! This email is for the Trakktape guy! I bought my last roll from the website and it's the same Paypal address. I sent him pmt last night around 9 pm and I already got a "order on its way" message from Paypal. PayPal lists him as David Christian. Anyway I feel pretty comfortable with it but if it's not legit you will be the first to know!
I assumed you knew something I didn't. I was just thinking that would be a brilliant way to make some money... Find a message board, post as a popular company and ask for money.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I assumed you knew something I didn't. I was just thinking that would be a brilliant way to make some money... Find a message board, post as a popular company and ask for money.
I linked him to this thread, its legit
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #31
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

So why not Clear Bra the front instead of tape?
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Yeah, I guess if you didn't recognize the address it would be weird. David should've probably identified himself a little better. Anyway, Papethova turned me on to this stuff and it's pretty good stuff. If anyone wants to check it out, let me know. If Papethova hadn't done his write up, I probably wouldn't have spent $45 on a roll without know if it worked. It's better than blue tape for sure and it doesn't look as dorky.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #33
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
So why not Clear Bra the front instead of tape?
Red, hello again, especially since our cars are "boat brothers" glad to hear you are still on here.

OK, so I have strong opinions on bloating the 1M but the clear bra thing is more gray than black and white for me. You live in Utah and have real winter so I can see why so many of you do the clear bra. Personally, I do not like it. I will never buy a car with clear bra installed. I have seen too many that are 8-9 years old and they look terrible old. So it is not for me here in SoCal. Maybe the current generation of clear bra will look good in 8-9 years but I don't want to risk it. I prefer a few paint chips that I can touch up to the difference in color when old.

So, since I don't have a clear bra, this is the next best thing for autocrossing, track, Euro Delivery or long road trips IMO.

Clear bra is semi-permanent. If you damage it, you have to take it back to the clear bra guy and have it replaced for a good amount of money. Not sure how much but I'm sure more than an application of Trakktape. If you damage trakktape, you just peel it off when you are done and it doesn't leave any residue if used for three days from my personal experience. I cannot vouch for longer duration since that is as long as I have kept it. However, Papethova kept it longer.

I would say that if you are going on the track or autocross, I would even put this on top of your clear bra.

So that is the difference. I guess if clear bra was much cheaper and you can get it replaced more often, it would be easier than Trakktape?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #34
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I linked him to this thread, its legit
Papethova is "deal-getting-superstar." Those that know the his story will know what I mean. So I guess you got us a special deal on trakktape too!

: )

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #35
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Red, hello again, especially since our cars are "boat brothers" glad to hear you are still on here.

OK, so I have strong opinions on bloating the 1M but the clear bra thing is more gray than black and white for me. You live in Utah and have real winter so I can see why so many of you do the clear bra. Personally, I do not like it. I will never buy a car with clear bra installed. I have seen too many that are 8-9 years old and they look terrible old. So it is not for me here in SoCal. Maybe the current generation of clear bra will look good in 8-9 years but I don't want to risk it. I prefer a few paint chips that I can touch up to the difference in color when old.

So, since I don't have a clear bra, this is the next best thing for autocrossing, track, Euro Delivery or long road trips IMO.

Clear bra is semi-permanent. If you damage it, you have to take it back to the clear bra guy and have it replaced for a good amount of money. Not sure how much but I'm sure more than an application of Trakktape. If you damage trakktape, you just peel it off when you are done and it doesn't leave any residue if used for three days from my personal experience. I cannot vouch for longer duration since that is as long as I have kept it. However, Papethova kept it longer.

I would say that if you are going on the track or autocross, I would even put this on top of your clear bra.

So that is the difference. I guess if clear bra was much cheaper and you can get it replaced more often, it would be easier than Trakktape?
Sorry for the partial highjack, but since you guys mentioned clear-bra and being semi-permanent, I had a question. Have it on my other car and after 4 yrs it has yellowed badly (even though the car is blue you can still see it yellowing). I want to take it out (likely the last clear-bra I'll ever install on a car). Can I safely do it myself, say with a heat gun, taking my time slowly peeling it off, or should I bring it to a 'pro'? TIA
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #36
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Sorry for the partial highjack, but since you guys mentioned clear-bra and being semi-permanent, I had a question. Have it on my other car and after 4 yrs it has yellowed badly (even though the car is blue you can still see it yellowing). I want to take it out (likely the last clear-bra I'll ever install on a car). Can I safely do it myself, say with a heat gun, taking my time slowly peeling it off, or should I bring it to a 'pro'? TIA
That is a toss up depending on how much you time is worth?

I would probably google a few DIY videos, get some 3M adhesive remover just in case and go to town. Just remember to keep the heat gun moving. My guess is that if you have taken good care of the car, the paint color would still be pretty close after 4 years so probably a good candidate to take it off. It it gets too hard, then you can try plan B and pay someone.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
T, I have yet to see a clear bra that doesnt yellow.

You can peel it yourself, if it starts to break in pieces it will be a pain in the ass though.

Quote:
Papethova is "deal-getting-superstar." Those that know the his story will know what I mean. So I guess you got us a special deal on trakktape too!

: )

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:

I used trakk tape for my Euro Delivery and then immediately got a clear-bra when the car got back to the states.

Just to give an alternate point of view and experience: back in '07 we got a Lexus GX470 and had a 3M clear-bra installed immediately after purchase. It did exactly as it advertised and protected the paint from nearly everything over it's 5 year use and 75k+ miles. The only place the paint got nicks and chips was where there was no bra.

When I brought my 1M home after getting it's 3M bra installed, I noticed that the bra on my 1M was a good bit clearer than that of the older lexus bra. The lexus bra had gotten a bit yellow over the years but I never really noticed because it was so subtle and I had no new car/bra to compare to. Anyway, after mentioning it to the shop who did the install on both cars, they got 3M to replace the lexus bra at no cost because it has a 5 year warranty.

When I took the lexus in to get it's bra replaced I removed the old bra myself and it was still very pliable and soft. The paint underneath it looked impeccable. The new bra went back on and the car still looks great.

In short: I think clear-bras are extremely effective and very worthwhile. I would wrap the entire car if I could afford it.
      02-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #39
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

I had my 07 335i Clear Bra'ed when it got home from my ED as well as my 1M. After 4 years of ownership on my 335i the clear bra looked almost as good as the day it was put on. I sold the car to my brother who lives in Phoenix and it still looks great. I have had a clear bra on my 05 WRX STI since 04 and it still looks good.

I had the dealer install the bra on my 1M and it cost $600.00 with a lifetime warranted against damage and yellowing. Even if after 4 or 5 years of use if I were to replace the bra it would brake down to ~$100 per year. How much does the Tape cost per year?

I don't drive my cars in the Winter, sunny days only, except for the STi it's my year round DD.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #40
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear from you again as well.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #41
apexdc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise (former 540i owner

WOW! Got two orders for the $100 roll at almost the same time! So I sent two out!

Thanks again for the support!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #42
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I got my roll this evening! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #43
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
In short: I think clear-bras are extremely effective and very worthwhile. I would wrap the entire car if I could afford it.
+1 Most of the Clear Bra haters never had it installed on their cars. You can't beat 3M's warranty. If it yellows, they'll replace it for free with no questions asked. What more could you ask for?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
+1 Most of the Clear Bra haters never had it installed on their cars. You can't beat 3M's warranty. If it yellows, they'll replace it for free with no questions asked. What more could you ask for?
Are you actually reading the thread? No hate here???

First, there IS a reply from someone that HAS had it installed on their cars and it has yellowed and they want it off.

Second, I said that it is a grey issue. If you live in a harsh place, it's worth the risk/cost. Here in SoCal, it's not worth it for me. I wouldn't buy a used car with it on because I don't know who put it on and what was used.

Maybe in 8-9 years if the current stuff looks good and the paint doesn't discolor due to sun, I would love to change my mind. But I can only go by what I see and the stuff that was used in the past and is now on older used cars, looks bad. These guys made the same promises 8-9 years ago.

Anyway, this thread is about Trakktape. If have a clear bra, great go with it. If not, you can try trakktape....It's a free country last time I checked where people can exchange ideas. We are exchanging ideas between fans and just because they are different than yours, it's not cool to just start calling people haters!
Appreciate 0