BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #375
arvinz
Captain
arvinz's Avatar
Canada
259
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Thanks Dackel!

The rep actually emailed me to say he made a mistake with the part number (ya right...). I told him the correct one from page 1 and they said that's what they will use.

I will double check when I go for the service to make sure!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #376
jaymcars
Second Lieutenant
jaymcars's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Florida 1M frustrated Owner

Hello all, I took to closest dealer for check up and oil change and was incredibly frustrated when they do not know what the car is and act like they know it all and that I'm being silly or over-cautious. Needless to say I took the car from there and having it transported (by the dealer) to a BMW dealership about 40 minutes away. The SA promised to watch it carefully and asked me to send him an email with exactly the services it needs. I've read through this thread and tried my best to piece together what is currently the best for the 1M. The car has 19,399 miles on her. What do you guys think of this email to the SA?

Hi Eric, here is some initial info on my 1 Series M Coupe.
It was a Limited production Motorsport model, with 335hp high-output version of N54 twin-turbo engine.
Due to the low production of only 740 in the U.S., the car calls for very specific Maintenance Schedule and specific fluids and part numbers.
I am requesting the following services due per BMWs schedule:
1. Gearbox Fluid flush and change: Manual transmission fluid MTF-LT-5 (P/N 83 22 2 167 666)
2. Differential Oil: Specially formulated rear differential oil, (BMW part number 83-22-2-282-583) SAF-XJ
3. Engine Oil: M Twin Power Turbo SAE 0W-40 or SAE 5W-30 BMW Longlife-01. Part number is 83 21 2 365 946. (please make SURE it says: "BMW Approved LL1" or "Long Life 1" rated)

What do you guys think?? Thanks!!!
__________________
'08 M5 BSM/Black 6MT- GONE; '03 M3 Jet Black/Black, 6MT- GONE; '03 M5 Carbon Black/Silverstone, GONE; '11 e90 M3, LMB/Ext Black, 6MT- GONE '11 e93 M3, LMB/Ext Black, DCT- GONE; '11 1M BSM/Black, '17 M2 Long Beach Blue/Black, 6MT; '11 1M Valencia Orange/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #377
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9055
Rep
22,883
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymcars View Post
Hello all, I took to closest dealer for check up and oil change and was incredibly frustrated when they do not know what the car is and act like they know it all and that I'm being silly or over-cautious. Needless to say I took the car from there and having it transported (by the dealer) to a BMW dealership about 40 minutes away. The SA promised to watch it carefully and asked me to send him an email with exactly the services it needs. I've read through this thread and tried my best to piece together what is currently the best for the 1M. The car has 19,399 miles on her. What do you guys think of this email to the SA?

Hi Eric, here is some initial info on my 1 Series M Coupe.
It was a Limited production Motorsport model, with 335hp high-output version of N54 twin-turbo engine.
Due to the low production of only 740 in the U.S., the car calls for very specific Maintenance Schedule and specific fluids and part numbers.
I am requesting the following services due per BMWs schedule:
1. Gearbox Fluid flush and change: Manual transmission fluid MTF-LT-5 (P/N 83 22 2 167 666)
2. Differential Oil: Specially formulated rear differential oil, (BMW part number 83-22-2-282-583) SAF-XJ
3. Engine Oil: M Twin Power Turbo SAE 0W-40 or SAE 5W-30 BMW Longlife-01. Part number is 83 21 2 365 946. (please make SURE it says: "BMW Approved LL1" or "Long Life 1" rated)

What do you guys think?? Thanks!!!
^^Looks good to me!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #378
arvinz
Captain
arvinz's Avatar
Canada
259
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Just got back from dealer with an oil change. This look good to you guys?

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #379
jaymcars
Second Lieutenant
jaymcars's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

So, update... they told me that the "first" oil change at 1,200 mile break in service "BMW doesn't count" so I have not had "enough" oil changes to cover my gearbox and rear differential change....

I guess I am going to have to find an Independent Shop
__________________
'08 M5 BSM/Black 6MT- GONE; '03 M3 Jet Black/Black, 6MT- GONE; '03 M5 Carbon Black/Silverstone, GONE; '11 e90 M3, LMB/Ext Black, 6MT- GONE '11 e93 M3, LMB/Ext Black, DCT- GONE; '11 1M BSM/Black, '17 M2 Long Beach Blue/Black, 6MT; '11 1M Valencia Orange/Black
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 02:37 AM   #380
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9055
Rep
22,883
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymcars View Post
So, update... they told me that the "first" oil change at 1,200 mile break in service "BMW doesn't count" so I have not had "enough" oil changes to cover my gearbox and rear differential change....

I guess I am going to have to find an Independent Shop
I don't understand/follow what you are saying? What do you mean ?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #381
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
45
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Almost sounds like they only do gearbox / rear diff fluids by mileage and not by time, and it's like 3 oil changes before they will do a gearbox. Sounds like I will be running into the same issue if I ask for a gearbox fluid change. My believe is any fluid has a life time but since BMW is paying for these, they see no reason to change fluid based on time before the warranty coverage ends. The biggest issue I have is how expensive the fluid is and the quantity they come in - gearbox needs about 1.25L but you can only get 1L bottles or big tank (can't remember how big but it's probably like 20L or something).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #382
jaymcars
Second Lieutenant
jaymcars's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymcars View Post
So, update... they told me that the "first" oil change at 1,200 mile break in service "BMW doesn't count" so I have not had "enough" oil changes to cover my gearbox and rear differential change....

I guess I am going to have to find an Independent Shop
I don't understand/follow what you are saying? What do you mean ?
They said that warranty wouldn't pay for it since I've had 3 oil changes but the "break in" 1200 mi one didn't count...
__________________
'08 M5 BSM/Black 6MT- GONE; '03 M3 Jet Black/Black, 6MT- GONE; '03 M5 Carbon Black/Silverstone, GONE; '11 e90 M3, LMB/Ext Black, 6MT- GONE '11 e93 M3, LMB/Ext Black, DCT- GONE; '11 1M BSM/Black, '17 M2 Long Beach Blue/Black, 6MT; '11 1M Valencia Orange/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #383
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
39
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, V70R(stick)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Just an update that might be interesting to those getting the part number for the correct 1M oil part # 83 21 2 365 946 in a dealer service.

I just got back from getting my oil changed at the dealer and noticed the oil part number was 83-21-2-405-085 BMW GROUP LL-01 5W-30:832511 which is different than the above.
When I enquired as to the incorrect part number as compared to the above, the advisor checked with the service and they said that my part number is the same oil as 83-21-2-365-946 but it's from a barrel and thus has a different number. that is the litre bottle part number. Can anyone verify?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #384
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9055
Rep
22,883
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
Just an update that might be interesting to those getting the part number for the correct 1M oil part # 83 21 2 365 946 in a dealer service.

I just got back from getting my oil changed at the dealer and noticed the oil part number was 83-21-2-405-085 BMW GROUP LL-01 5W-30:832511 which is different than the above.
When I enquired as to the incorrect part number as compared to the above, the advisor checked with the service and they said that my part number is the same oil as 83-21-2-365-946 but it's from a barrel and thus has a different number. that is the litre bottle part number. Can anyone verify?
Oil from a dealer is sometimes bought in bulk. Most dealers make up their own part numbers for the oil - so they can bill out the oil on the repair order.

As long as they used the correct oil... you are good. Don't worry over the exact part number - when it comes to oil(or gear or trans oils).

Dackel
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #385
RS375
Private First Class
19
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Just had the 1M serviced.

Thanks to the info on this thread I'm happy all the correct parts were used, including the LT5 gearbox oil.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #386
Em/1
Lieutenant
Em/1's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
552
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 Audi A3  [0.00]
2015 Porsche Macan S  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
Just an update that might be interesting to those getting the part number for the correct 1M oil part # 83 21 2 365 946 in a dealer service.

I just got back from getting my oil changed at the dealer and noticed the oil part number was 83-21-2-405-085 BMW GROUP LL-01 5W-30:832511 which is different than the above.
When I enquired as to the incorrect part number as compared to the above, the advisor checked with the service and they said that my part number is the same oil as 83-21-2-365-946 but it's from a barrel and thus has a different number. that is the litre bottle part number. Can anyone verify?
I can't verify that correct, but my recent change had the same numbers and the LL-01 followed by 5W-30 gives me reasonable confidence...
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #387
vasmir
eh
vasmir's Avatar
57
Rep
289
Posts

Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Just wanted to thank Mr.Metak2you and the others that have contributed to this thread over the past 4 years.

Just completed my last dealer covered maintenance. Had all fluids serviced, and this thread + associated knowledge / parts numbers gave me great peace of mind at the dealership.

Plus now that all follow-on maintenance is on me, it's even easier to be sure that what I'm putting in the gearbox, diff, and motor is correct. Thanks!
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #388
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Luca335's Avatar
Canada
46
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Just got back from dealer with an oil change. This look good to you guys?

Did you get an answer? I received the same oil yesterday at service.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #389
T1M
Captain
Australia
194
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: AW MY12 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

What's the fill volume on the 1M coupe gearbox?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #390
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9055
Rep
22,883
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
What's the fill volume on the 1M coupe gearbox?
A little more than 2.0 liters of oil. I think 2.2l

Just buy three liters of oil and keep adding oil until it spills out of the fill hole. Then your good. (of course make sure the car is level, first!)


Dackel
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #391
T1M
Captain
Australia
194
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: AW MY12 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Dackel

My BMW 1M Coupe uses a GS6-45BZ trans manufactured by ZF.

Redline recommend their D6 ATF in this trans.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=115&pcid=7

Discussions surrounding this vs the stock fluid on forums I've searched tend to revolve around cold shifting smoothness and fluid viscosity. From what I've read BMW owners also tend to be utterly petrified about departing from oils that come in BMW bottles.

I simply want to use the best I can buy for this gearbox and don't care who makes it. I am also prepared to wait for the box to warm up before driving spiritedly and I l live in a climate which does not fall below 0*C.

What concerns me about using ATF in a manual trans is it's anti-wear add pack. I don't want 'smooth shifting and good synchronizer performance' while sacrificing wear of gear sliding surfaces and shaft bearings. Clearly I need a mixture of these characteristics, I want the box to last, and was leaning towards using Redline MTL until I used their vehicle configurator tool and read some forums where either stock BMW or Redline ATF D4 is the majority.

From Redline's manual trans lubes PDF found here http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...%2010-13-1.pdf

Quote:

"D4 ATF and High-Temp ATF provides the gear protection of a GL-4 gear oil in an automatic transmission fluid, which is far superior to a conventional ATF. This gear protection makes it perfect for lubricating automatic transaxles and high-performance automatic transmissions. The D4 ATF provides the best low-temperature shiftability. MTL provides better wear protection in most manual transmissions which call for an ATF which can be very important in racing applications. MTL provides the low-temperature properties equivalent to a petroleum ATF. All Red Line transmission lubricants provide excellent synchronizer compatibility"


Seems they're saying MTL provides better wear protection than their ATF oils.

Last edited by T1M; 11-14-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #392
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9055
Rep
22,883
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
Thanks Dackel

My BMW 1M Coupe uses a GS6-45BZ trans manufactured by ZF.

Redline recommend their D6 ATF in this trans.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=115&pcid=7

Discussions surrounding this vs the stock fluid on forums I've searched tend to revolve around cold shifting smoothness and fluid viscosity. From what I've read BMW owners also tend to be utterly petrified about departing from oils that come in BMW bottles.

I simply want to use the best I can buy for this gearbox and don't care who makes it. I am also prepared to wait for the box to warm up before driving spiritedly and I l live in a climate which does not fall below 0*C.

What concerns me about using ATF in a manual trans is it's anti-wear add pack. I don't want 'smooth shifting and good synchronizer performance' while sacrificing wear of gear sliding surfaces and shaft bearings. Clearly I need a mixture of these characteristics, I want the box to last, and was leaning towards using Redline MTL until I used their vehicle configurator tool and read some forums where either stock BMW or Redline ATF D4 is the majority.

From Redline's manual trans lubes PDF found here http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...%2010-13-1.pdf

Quote:

"D4 ATF and High-Temp ATF provides the gear protection of a GL-4 gear oil in an automatic transmission fluid, which is far superior to a conventional ATF. This gear protection makes it perfect for lubricating automatic transaxles and high-performance automatic transmissions. The D4 ATF provides the best low-temperature shiftability. MTL provides better wear protection in most manual transmissions which call for an ATF which can be very important in racing applications. MTL provides the low-temperature properties equivalent to a petroleum ATF. All Red Line transmission lubricants provide excellent synchronizer compatibility"


Seems they're saying MTL provides better wear protection than their ATF oils.
Well... at 30K kms I switched my manual trans fluid to Redline ATF-D4. I have almost 130K kms on my car now. No problems with shifting at all. Some people use D6, but I think for hard driving(like on the autobahn or track) D4 makes more sense.

Some guys here on the forums rave about the MTL. I probably will give that a try on my next trans service.

Btw... I used Redline's ATF-D4 in my old e36 323i 5sp for over 120K kms. I never had any problems with RL in that car either.

Dackel
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #393
T1M
Captain
Australia
194
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: AW MY12 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

The weird thing is the 1M box requires FFL-3 from pentosin. ZF make the trans and state this is their recommended fluid. BMW MTF-LT-5 was brought out specifically for the 1M, it is relabelled FFL-3.

FFL-3 is also used in the porsche pdk box. For that application redline state their DCTF is the replacement. Why then do redline state that D6 ATF is the replacement for FFL-3 in the 1M trans? These fluids are not equivalent. Seems like they've stuffed up there!

Last edited by T1M; 11-14-2015 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #394
T1M
Captain
Australia
194
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: AW MY12 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Alright official word from redline, DCTF is a more suitable substitute for MTF-LT-5 aka Pentosin FFL-3 than either D4 or D6.


Name:  Redline DCTF MotoBlog-650.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  125.0 KB

specs...
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=146&pcid=9
Appreciate 2
Dackelone9054.50
bbnks2862.50

      03-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #395
vasmir
eh
vasmir's Avatar
57
Rep
289
Posts

Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Dealership telling me BMW 0W-30 replaced the 5W-30 back in the Fall of 2016, and is now their recommended oil for the N54. Service advisors were fully aware of the specific 1M fluids/needs.

BMW 0W-30 Twinpower Longlife Synthetic Oil

New part number: 83-21-2-450-384

As a side note... still no airbag recall parts! (sad face).
Appreciate 1
Dackelone9054.50

      03-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #396
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
buddalun's Avatar
United_States
635
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 911, Tesla M3P, 330e
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
Dealership telling me BMW 0W-30 replaced the 5W-30 back in the Fall of 2016, and is now their recommended oil for the N54. Service advisors were fully aware of the specific 1M fluids/needs.

BMW 0W-30 Twinpower Longlife Synthetic Oil

New part number: 83-21-2-450-384

As a side note... still no airbag recall parts! (sad face).
So the 0W is now recommended for our 1Ms?

Did the dealer provide any insight as to why BMW made the change to the 0W oil? TIA
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST